Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jarrod Witts swap for Hoskin Elliott

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Bit tough on poor Witts. Did the webbing in his hand the first game and gets dropped one game back. Grundy is playing too well for Witts to get back into the side but he's still very young and developing in the role. He also plays at a much higher level in the VFL. The two great Western Australian ruckmen in Cox and Sandilands never got going till they hit 25.

I totally agree. If Witts had not have injured his hand and continued playing the way he was at that time,I think we may have seen Grundy as the one trying to break into the team.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Witts and development are effectively an oxymoron. Can anyone tell me a single game that Witts has been:

* best on ground or
* hurt an opponent or
* scared an opponent or
* performed some meaningful act on the ground??

I always look for the good and possible in a player before putting a line through their name. I just can't remember any remarkable thing he has done..

You obviously don't mean like win tapouts kick goals tackle opponents as Witts has done these things

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:29 pm

mudlark wrote:
He comes from NSW I think??? Although I think GWS have plenty of ruck men.

He does, but he's not interested in going back to NSW. He was happy to stay in Victoria the last time he was talked about being traded last year.

I'd assume that remains the same now.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:12 pm

We have Grundy Cox White Gault Wyatt & a 204cm Keefe to come in so we have talls to burn so maybe Witts is tradable.
But I wouldn't be rushing out looking for to trade him unless he requests it or some one knocks on our door with a hell of a deal
Witts in probably 3rd ruck in line behind Grundy & Cox but Cox is also in our top 3 tall forwards. But then we have Reid who can play forward with Keefe at CHB or leave Reid at CHB and play Keefe at CHF and he can also play as a ruck in short bursts.
We do have options and most of those options are better athletically than Witts.
I don't see White as a ruck he is more a mobile hybrid tall type who's best weapon is he's speed
We also have Ramsay and Scharenberg who can slip into the back line so we might have Howe looking for a role forward as well even though I think he is a better defender than forward.
We also have Elliott and Fasalo to play forward
Basically says if we have a fully available list we have headaches everywhere to pick the best 22 and options to mix n match depending on who we play
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
We have Grundy Cox White Gault Wyatt & a 204cm Keefe to come in so we have talls to burn so maybe Witts is tradable.
But I wouldn't be rushing out looking for to trade him unless he requests it or some one knocks on our door with a hell of a deal
Witts in probably 3rd ruck in line behind Grundy & Cox but Cox is also in our top 3 tall forwards. But then we have Reid who can play forward with Keefe at CHB or leave Reid at CHB and play Keefe at CHF and he can also play as a ruck in short bursts.
We do have options and most of those options are better athletically than Witts.
I don't see White as a ruck he is more a mobile hybrid tall type who's best weapon is he's speed
We also have Ramsay and Scharenberg who can slip into the back line so we might have Howe looking for a role forward as well even though I think he is a better defender than forward.
Basically says if we have a fully available list we have headaches everywhere to pick the best 22 and options to mix n match depending on who we play

I'd be horrified if we went into 2017 with Cox, White, Wyatt and Keeffe as the only backup for Grundy in the ruck. Doubt Gault will survive unless he starts to dominate at VFL level over the remaining rounds. Our biggest issues at the moment centre on the inconsistency of our midfield group and Grundy's inability to be competitive in the taps is a significant component of that but if we're relying on theses other talls we're in deep shoit.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:11 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Will be surprised if Gault is at Collingwood next year probably will be delisted
Wyatt has done nothing at VFL level (yet)and is injured
Keefe has been out of the game for ages and needs to get match fit and is a defender who sucked up forward and has shown zero ability as a ruckman

We are back to Grundy Cox and White and the debate still is what happens if Grundy gets injured?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 pm

neil wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Will be surprised if Gault is at Collingwood next year probably will be delisted
Wyatt has done nothing at VFL level (yet)and is injured
Keefe has been out of the game for ages and needs to get match fit and is a defender who sucked up forward and has shown zero ability as a ruckman

We are back to Grundy Cox and White and the debate still is what happens if Grundy gets injured?

Wyatt has done enough at VFL level to convince me he has a very bright future ahead of him. Plenty of work still to do, but I can imagine him breaking into the side in 2018-2019. Just need to be a bit patient with him. He's not a ruck though. He's a leading forward in my book who could be developed into a key back due to his quick closing speed (reminds me of a a bigger version of Rusling).
Keeffe will never be a ruckman in my view and White could cover in the ruck in an emergency if need be.
But if Grundy is ever injured we need Witts as a backup.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

I don't think anyone will come knocking, clubs will pay overs for a quality established ruck if they need one, they wont for an unproven ruck.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I don't think anyone will come knocking, clubs will pay overs for a quality established ruck if they need one, they wont for an unproven ruck.

What did Sydney pay Mumford when they got him from geelong?

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

What did Sydney pay Mumford when they got him from geelong?

Pick 28.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:48 am

The more I think about it, the more I think Witts wont be traded.

*He blocked a trade to GWS last year. Didnt he come out and say he wanted to forge his career at Collingwood and felt like he owed the club or something along those lines?

*I know Cox has been very good and Grundy has also been good in recent weeks. This has kept Witts out of the side, but would it be wise to go into next season without a backup? Rucks available in free agency are simply no good. So if we downgraded, we would be drastically downgrading. (I mentioned Dean Towers in another thread. He is probably the best of the available ruckmen, and he is more of a pinch hitter).

*Witts is committed to staying in Victoria. A move to Sydney or to any other state seems very, very unlikely now. A trade interstate is off the cards.

*What will a Witts trade bring in for us? And who, from the Vic teams, needs a ruck? (Essendon??) Will a package with Witts involved help bring in a star? Or will it get us back into the first round of the draft?

He has been in good form in the VFL. But Cox/Grundy have kept him out. So yeah, it's very hard to say, but at the moment, I think we are better off keeping him unless it helps bring in a top player, and ideally a KPP, which seems unlikely.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 am

Grundy has the number 1 spot locked...

Cox can play in the ruck as a back up during games but importantly so can White and even Keefe eventually could play in the ruck.

Keefe really is the key - the guy picked the game up really quickly is very agile for his size. Keefe should be given the task to beef up over the next few months - he could be really handy as the back-up ruckman - or even the backman to play on the gorillas now and then - Brown is nearing the end. Keefe is as close to the Leigh Bron role as anyone at our club especially if he learns some rucking skills

Given all of that (and I have not included Gault) I think Witts will be be part of a trade deal. He trained well and then was injured - but training well does not equate to playing well - he is just too soft - the least imposing ruckman I have seen - I feel the guy needs to be slapped like that scene from Flying High... Buckley tried but I think the guy is slipping mentally after giving it a real crack and Grundy is clearly stepping up!

The only chance for Witts is an injury to Grundy - and Grundy seems solid to me - he would play through niggles and is built a bit like Stynes who barely missed a game...

Dawesy31 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Grundy has the number 1 spot locked...

Cox can play in the ruck as a back up during games but importantly so can White and even Keefe eventually could play in the ruck.

Keefe really is the key - the guy picked the game up really quickly is very agile for his size. Keefe should be given the task to beef up over the next few months - he could be really handy as the back-up ruckman - or even the backman to play on the gorillas now and then - Brown is nearing the end. Keefe is as close to the Leigh Bron role as anyone at our club especially if he learns some rucking skills

Given all of that (and I have not included Gault) I think Witts will be be part of a trade deal. He trained well and then was injured - but training well does not equate to playing well - he is just too soft - the least imposing ruckman I have seen - I feel the guy needs to be slapped like that scene from Flying High... Buckley tried but I think the guy is slipping mentally after giving it a real crack and Grundy is clearly stepping up!

The only chance for Witts is an injury to Grundy - and Grundy seems solid to me - he would play through niggles and is built a bit like Stynes who barely missed a game...

So say if our injury curse continues, and Grundy does his knee for example and we have traded Witts, our number 1 ruckman would be one of Cox, White or Keeffe (IF he is even kept on the list )?!? None of those are full time Ruckmen, So Witts needs to stay.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:27 pm

I think some of you are overlooking the fact that Witts is unlikely to want to stay with us unless he's getting a regular senior game. Given the form of Grundy, Cox and White, plus the development of Wyatt and the return of Keeffe, he is destined to remain mainly a VFL player at the Pies. He'd be mad to stay at Collingwood. So while some would like us to keep him as a back up ruckman, given his 5 years with us, I reckon that's totally unrealistic. I say trade him, to give him the opportunity to flourish elsewhere and enable us to recruit a player to suit our current needs.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I think some of you are overlooking the fact that Witts is unlikely to want to stay with us unless he's getting a regular senior game. Given the form of Grundy, Cox and White, plus the development of Wyatt and the return of Keeffe, he is destined to remain mainly a VFL player at the Pies. He'd be mad to stay at Collingwood. So while some would like us to keep him as a back up ruckman, given his 5 years with us, I reckon that's totally unrealistic. I say trade him, to give him the opportunity to flourish elsewhere and enable us to recruit a player to suit our current needs.

But that begs the question at which club would he assume the number 1 ruck role he'd presumably want from the incumbent. It'd be a short list. Possibly the Tigas but Hamson seems to have come of age, possibly the Doggies if they aim to free up Roughy to a KP role, possibly the Hawks if they want Big Boy to play the Hale role and they see Wittsy as a better option than Ceglar, possibly Freo given the age and issues of Sandilands.

And weren't you the poster that started the "recruit a ruckman" thread?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: