Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Silly Season Soon: Player trades

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 am
Post subject: Silly Season Soon: Player tradesReply with quote

Jay Clark whose player trade gossip news is pretty accurate has hit the ground early. Sam McLure is on the button as well. That being said, let's identify players with trade currency or free agency benefits.

* Witts: the market place demand between Brisbane, Bulldogs, Richmond and GWS whom are bereft of depth in Ruck stocks should create some leverage in bids. Somebody shall pay a first round pick or a player and a second round pick.

Possible: Lin Jong and pick 31 (second round selection)

* Nathan Brown: a fan favourite amongst some. He may seek career security and take up a potential 3-4 year offer if another club comes knocking. What clubs are slight in the key back stakes: Bulldogs, Fremantle, Brisbane Bears, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Saints and Swans.

Possible: to be prised out of his loyalty to Pies $450,000-$500,000 and 3 years with a guarantee of job security at Full Back may do it. From a free agency compensation point of view, Pies would probably receive a Band 3 comp pick which would be after our second round pick. If we don't change our current spot on ladder, pick 27 (second round) may come our way.

* Tim Broomhead: personally he is untradeable as I see great potential in him. That aside we seem to cop one homesick, one unexpected, one annoying player departure per year. If he was to leave it would be a South Australian club and his currency would be a second round pick.

Possible: However both Port and Crows don't have second rounders so they would need to engage a third club in any deal.

* Adam Oxley: again personally I wouldn't trade but with Brisbane's push for home grown talent and the Gold Coast missing out on Seedsman last trade period, Oxley would have some appeal from his home state clubs.

Possible: Brisbane have pick 24 (second round)
Gold Coast have pick 25 or 28 (second round)

* Jack Frost: given his brother who was swapped by GWS to the Dees for pick 23 and is less established than Jack, he may have some "fools gold currency". It may only take 2-3 clubs interested to turn him into a second round pick.

Possible: second round pick

* Travis Cloke: the great recent debate in the media. Clubs such as the Bulldogs, Essendon, Fremantle, Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton need key forwards.

Possible: a second round pick would be the market rate and the following clubs have: Brisbane pick 24, Bulldogs pick 31 may be suitors.

Possible minor currency (pick 50+)

* Jarryd Blair
* Jessie White
* Brent Macaffer
* Corey Gault
* Alan Toovey

Yes, the above thoughts are the subjective musings of a passionate fan not wanting to see our club stand still. That being said my preferences would be for us to make career and/or trade calls on:

* Witts
* Brown or Frost
* Toovey
* Blair
* Gault
* Marley W (yes I know he is a fan favourite but simply can't kick)
* Macaffer

With Callum Brown, Josh Daicos and 4-6 other inclusions salary cap room and list spots need vacating.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Still half a Season to go,

Letting N Brown leave would be Idiotic.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:18 am

Inxs88 I've been looking through our list lately as well and believe it needs more than a minor overhaul.
We are deficient on more than a few levels but whether we can accomplish this over the next 2 trade years is debatable.
We need line breaking speed
We need rebounding defenders
We need skilful outside types
We need a couple of 30+ goal kickers to compliment Moore Cox

There's no guarantee Elliott will come good as his back injury is going to be a long process. Faz whilst he's done ok this year needs to go another level.
Moore and Cox will take time and were devoid of small forwards with skill and speed like a Betts or Riolo type.
The old saying is you can't coach speed they either have it or not.

I like Jason Dunstall's thought process that everyone is tradable if the deal is right. I would however exclude Pendles Treloar Moore Cox Reid Adams Varcoe Grundy Scharenberg Ramsay from this list as they for mine are keys going forward (Ramsay and Scharenberg on faith others on value)
Yes I omitted Sidebottom from that list but if we could gain more than we paid for him (so would have to be a top 10 pick) then it should be considered. I can't see it happening and not saying it should happen but if someone came up with say pick 6 or 7 then we should consider it. The question would be would anyone pay a top 10 pick for him ? Not likely as while he's a good player he isn't in that elite category that makes him hot property. A former AFL coach I know recently asked me this question when talking about our list and players trade value. When he's been off contract how many stories have hit the media of clubs being interested in him ? I replied he's contracts have always been done quietly as he seems a loyal type. He replied there is no loyalty anymore hasn't been for years. If there was interest from a club his management would have ensured it made the media to drive the price up for there client. He said show me 1 media report at any time since he was drafted from a club even making a comment they would be interested if he was available. I've searched the Internet there's no articles. He then said so that tells you how other clubs view him. He said look at Treloar Dangerfield Fyfe Neale Martin all who recently were available there was speculation aplenty and several clubs made approaches to there respective management.
He said he thought Sidey was a good player but not in that category of elite or A to A+ that other clubs would spend a top 10 pick on. Yes I understand he signed a long term deal this year so it won't happen but I was made think about things I dint think was possible prior.
Brown as well I didn't include and big bodied full backs are hard to find. Rally he should be safe but again under Dunstall's theroy every player should be considered. The same former AFL coach said of Brown do you have a equal or better option on the list ? Well no not really. He said then look through the draft and is there a outstanding backman like Weiderling and you can get them if not you need to sit on him. He said while in his opinion the lists has holes in it he didn't think Brown was that bad and if our upfield defence improved he would look better.
I think we are in the same boat as a Richmond or Carlton we have over estimated our list in a few instances.
I think we have the basis of a decent list but skills wise and speed wise we are sadly lacking and that needs to be addressed.
Maybe Daicos and Brown junior can play the small forward role but there going to be a couple years away really needing time to build some body strength and getting used to the AFL

I just hope someone at the club takes a real hard look at the list and makes decisions without emotion
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:45 am

I remember a bloke who once came to Collingwood and couldn't kick. He went on to win two copelands. Paul Licuria.

Marley Williams has a bit of Licca about him. I'd keep working on his kicking. He is way too good in so many other areas to let go.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am

The only two I would consider trading are Oxley and Langdon. We have enough half back flankers already. I just don't see why we need another in Jin Jong. Oxley would make a good fit in either the Brisbane or GC sides. Langdon would make a good fit in the St Kilda side. They both might each get us a third or fourth round pick which nets us the points needed to recruit Brown and Daicos.
Frost and Gault, I would delist. Toovey and Macaffer to retire. I would drop off no more than five players from our list, but we may need to do more than that, considering Cox, Thomas and Keeffe need to be promoted onto our primary list.
I think we have a very good list, not as good as a few other clubs such as GWS, Sydney and Hawthorn, but better than a few others. I think we need to find another tall defender in case Brown and Reid fall over, with only Marsh and Keeffe to cover their loss and another tall forward to help out Moore. We now have enough mids, even if Swan retires at the end of the season. Aish is coming on. Crisp will be better next season. As good as Treloar is, I don't think he's reached full pace yet since his groin operation last year. He has being getting caught this year. Next year he will be faster and more elusive.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Haven't we turned our list over enough in the past 3 years?
Offload Oxley and another HBF type for picks for Brown/Daicos seems sensible.

Always some mandatory tinkering but with our 1st and 2nd round picks spent, we have done our most aggressive trading for Treloar and Aish last year and invested heavily in the draft the year prior with DeGoey and Moore.

We need to recruit better fitness staff. Our injury list each year in the past 3-4 has seemingly robbed us of continuity in our team.
We have a pretty solid list, but haven't had the chance to see the best of them playing together for any length of time in recent seasons.

Add Fasolo, Elliott, Adams, Swan (possibly 1 year but looking less likely given no flag shot), Scharanberg and maybe Keefe to our team and I think it looks pretty strong.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Believe they shall keep Keefe and Josh Thomas on the rookie list thus safeguarding and opening up more primary list positions. It's not if there would be suitors for them.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Langdon would command a late second round pick. His performances have exceeded his initial draft position of 65 easily. Worry that has peaked and reached his capacity.

Hopefully not and there is some upside in his development: maybe a gurana drink or 2 on eve of game Smile to lower the vaguesness and low urgency factor!

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Damien wrote:
I remember a bloke who once came to Collingwood and couldn't kick. He went on to win two copelands. Paul Licuria.

Marley Williams has a bit of Licca about him. I'd keep working on his kicking. He is way too good in so many other areas to let go.

That was 15 years ago when the game wasn't a basketball soccer hybrid if keepings off.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:52 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Inxs88 I've been looking through our list lately as well and believe it needs more than a minor overhaul.
We are deficient on more than a few levels but whether we can accomplish this over the next 2 trade years is debatable.

There's no guarantee Elliott will come good as his back injury is going to be a long process. Faz whilst he's done ok this year needs to go another level.
Moore and Cox will take time and were devoid of small forwards with skill and speed like a Betts or Riolo type.

I like Jason Dunstall's thought process that everyone is tradable if the deal is right. I would however exclude Pendles Treloar Moore Cox Reid Adams Varcoe Grundy Scharenberg Ramsay from this list as they for mine are keys going forward (Ramsay and Scharenberg on faith others on value)
Yes I omitted Sidebottom from that list but if we could gain more than we paid for him (so would have to be a top 10 pick) then it should be considered. I can't see it happening and not saying it should happen but if someone came up with say pick 6 or 7 then we should consider it. The question would be would anyone pay a top 10 pick for him ? Not likely as while he's a good player he isn't in that elite category that makes him hot property. A former AFL coach I know recently asked me this question when talking about our list and players trade value. When he's been off contract how many stories have hit the media of clubs being interested in him ? I replied he's contracts have always been done quietly as he seems a loyal type. He replied there is no loyalty anymore hasn't been for years. If there was interest from a club his management would have ensured it made the media to drive the price up for there client. He said show me 1 media report at any time since he was drafted from a club even making a comment they would be interested if he was available. I've searched the Internet there's no articles. He then said so that tells you how other clubs view him. He said look at Treloar Dangerfield Fyfe Neale Martin all who recently were available there was speculation aplenty and several clubs made approaches to there respective management.
He said he thought Sidey was a good player but not in that category of elite or A to A+ that other clubs would spend a top 10 pick on. Yes I understand he signed a long term deal this year so it won't happen but I was made think about things I dint think was possible prior.
Brown as well I didn't include and big bodied full backs are hard to find. Rally he should be safe but again under Dunstall's theroy every player should be considered. The same former AFL coach said of Brown do you have a equal or better option on the list ? Well no not really. He said then look through the draft and is there a outstanding backman like Weiderling and you can get them if not you need to sit on him. He said while in his opinion the lists has holes in it he didn't think Brown was that bad and if our upfield defence improved he would look better.
I think we are in the same boat as a Richmond or Carlton we have over estimated our list in a few instances.
I think we have the basis of a decent list but skills wise and speed wise we are sadly lacking and that needs to be addressed.
Maybe Daicos and Brown junior can play the small forward role but there going to be a couple years away really needing time to build some body strength and getting used to the AFL

I just hope someone at the club takes a real hard look at the list and makes decisions without emotion

Great post. Like yourself we need to invest in "clever" players with some X factor and not meat and potato type solid citizens. Just think of those whom fit these parameters:

* Charlie Cameron (rookie draft)
* Eddie Betts (rookie draft)
* Hayden Ballantyne (rookie draft)
* Michael Walters (pick 53 in 2008)
* Harry Cunningham (rookie draft)
* Rory Laird (rookie draft)
* Lin Jong (rookie draft)
* Jake Lloyd (rookie draft)
* Zac Williams GWS (pick 54 in rookie draft)
* Maverick "the meditator" Weller (pick 20 in rookie draft after Gold Coast)
* James Harmes (rookie)
* Anthony Tipungwati (rookie revelation)
* Jeff Garlett (Carlton rookie draft selection)
* Liam Picken (rookie: 164 games later: not clever but a f/son faux pas)
* Luke Dahlhaus (rookie gun)

So there are lots of player out there with upside!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:21 pm

We should have plenty of defensive options next year with Ramsay, Scharenberg and Keeffe available.

With continued improvement from Grundy, De Goey, Moore and Cox, I reckon we'll only have two deficiencies - a small crumbing forward and a lightning fast outside midfielder/winger.

Daicos and Brown should provide us with crumbing options, so all we should really go after is some genuine pace.

As far as trades go, I'd be looking at off-loading the following players:

Witts

Frost (I'd keep Brown instead, with Keeffe as the other full back option)

Cloke

Broomhead (unless he forces his way into our best 22 by the end of this season).

Oxley (since Langdon, Howe and hopefully Scharenberg are better options)

Last edited by RudeBoy on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:22 pm

inxs88 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Great post. Like yourself we need to invest in "clever" players with some X factor and not meat and potato type solid citizens. Just think of those whom fit these parameters:

* Charlie Cameron (rookie draft)
* Eddie Betts (rookie draft)
* Hayden Ballantyne (rookie draft)
* Michael Walters (pick 53 in 2008)
* Harry Cunningham (rookie draft)
* Rory Laird (rookie draft)
* Lin Jong (rookie draft)
* Jake Lloyd (rookie draft)
* Zac Williams GWS (pick 54 in rookie draft)
* Maverick "the meditator" Weller (pick 20 in rookie draft after Gold Coast)
* James Harmes (rookie)
* Anthony Tipungwati (rookie revelation)
* Jeff Garlett (Carlton rookie draft selection)
* Liam Picken (rookie: 164 games later: not clever but a f/son faux pas)
* Luke Dahlhaus (rookie gun)

So there are lots of player out there with upside!!

Inxs88 mate agree we need to be a little more selective at the draft/trade table.
We seemed to have accumulated many like for like HBF types around 180-185cm mid paced average skill types. While you need them we seem to have not been able to find a true X factor type in either the draft or trade. Freeman had the speed we dreamed of but hamstrings have ruined him. Treloar has some pace but his kicking on the run is well below average. I know pace isn't everything look at Pendles and Sam Mitchell there quick between the ears not across the ground but if you have pace and can move the ball quickly into attack you give your forwards every chance of being able to beat an opponent. Watch Smtih & Hill they make Gunston and alike look like world beaters at times.
Also on Sidey I wasn't saying we should trade him but offering a different view point from someone who has been a AFL coach and isn't a magpie fan. I've been known to knock Sidey at times like others but have never thought about how much value he would have at a trade table.
Listening to Jason Dunstall the other night on "On the couch" when discussing Richmond he said every player was tradable bar none "If the deal was right" and I think that's were we need to be more focused getting the deal right. Time will tell if we over paid for Treloar and Aish and sometimes you pay more in a market place with limited stock you require than in comparison to others. Objectively Geelong got Dangerfield for unders in comparison for what we paid for Treloar but in time who knows how good Treloar will be and he might be worth even more than we gave up.
I just want the club to get the right mix of players and depth so we can be competitive each and every week.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Tell Hine to take off his <snip> glasses and draft us an indigenous lad, would be nice for you to atleast draft one in your time with us Derek.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm

^Brad Dick, Peter Yagmoor?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:21 pm

I just hope that any interest in Jong is purely due to his playing abilities. Nothing to do with trying to show how multi cultural we are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: