Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jono Marsh can be as good as Alex Rance!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:21 pm
Post subject: Jono Marsh can be as good as Alex Rance!Reply with quote

Bloody hell, I've put my nether regions on the line here. I have been a fan of his "upside" since seeing his highlights real in the WAFL Colts. His performance last night having 17 disposals, 8 marks, 5 rebound 50's at 100% disposal efficiency was his most effective game since debuting.

Insofar as Rance is concerned he was all over the place between 2009-2012. He played with zest, fans had hearts in their mouth when he came to dispose of it and has only solidified into an A grader between 2014-2016.

The Pies match committee have to play Marsh as often as they can. Rance was given 50-70 games to trial & error his game. Jono deserves the same latitude to improve. There simply is no upside in:

* Frost
* Toovey
* N Brown
* Macaffer

So come on match committee keep pumping games into the future premiership players.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree. He was a bargin at such a late pick. He was looked upon at the time as being a very dynamic player but was raw and lacked consistently and polish. I always that that if they could polish him in gone VFL he had the potential to be an out and out star.

Judging by last nights performance he is well on his way. Irrespective of our results in the last 12 months I still believe we have the in house talent to be real contenders in the future. A big of luck and Feds injuries going forward will give us the edge to go forward and eclipse many teams.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 am

great kid.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:50 am

At the same age I think he's better than Rance, doesn't guarantee he'll end up as good but it's not a bad starting point.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:56 am

He's a better player than Mario Turco at the same age.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:36 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
He's a better player than Mario Turco at the same age.

And Ray Huppatz too

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:31 am

I still get the feeling he is VERY nervous when he kicks because he doesn't want to f it up. I agree it was a highly encouraging performance. He has much upside. Has numerous tools (including great speed, really great courage and aggression and reasonably good football brain).

found out his grand father was a gun footballer. why the f'ck then didn't someone teach him how to kick like ben reid.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:55 am

I was really pleasantly surprised with his game on Friday - he was good overhead, showed great ability read the ball, and - well - he just looked very composed for a young man with so few games under his belt. This early composure is often a sign of great things to come, and he looks to me like a serious potential playmaker, rather than a space-filler. Better than Rance ? Well, I can see the connection, but he seems more like a tall and speedy flanker than a KPP to me at this stage. If he can combine the attributes of both then perhaps we really have found something.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:36 am

He shows a lot of promise but still a lot of questions over his kicking
Perhaps he will do a Ben Johnston and just end up a good kick while everyone talks about what a poor kick he is.

Doubt he will play the same role as Frost or Brown

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 am

The guy is a butcher of the ball.
Recruited because of his X factor and his pace.
Done 2 hammies so far and with Collingwoods luck I wonder
when the next is.
I like him but such early days so who knows,
1. whether he makes it.
2. whether he will be better than average.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 am

Finally we saw the real Jono Marsh on Friday night.

In his previous senior games he's looked nervous and made uncharacteristic mistakes.

He is known around the club as one of our best young leaders too, so it's vital that we get senior games into him to build his confidence before we start playing games that matter again.

His ability to position himself to mark the inside 50 kicks from the opposition is his biggest talent, you almost can't teach that yet every elite defender has that skill.

His foot skills are passable without being elite, and then there's that pace that he's got that has given him injury concerns.

He's a huge part of our future, keep playing him now.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:33 am

The greatest thing is that Marsh shows the type of leadership qualities that we are desperately short of at the moment. Provided his form and health holds up we have someone who in the longer term can replace the role that Maxwell played in the side. At the other end of the ground we have Moore who can lead the forward line. To me the four most important individuals at the club over the next five years will be Marsh, Moore, Treloar and Adams. Our fortunes will depend on these four guys.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:02 pm

He could be another Ted Potter. {if your younger than 40, you can look up his bio on the Pies website, just a wonderful backman from years ago}

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Marshy also has some decent bloodlines, with his Grandfather only a few weeks ago being inducted into the Australian football hall of fame.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-06-14/hall-of-fame-ray-sorrell
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Finally we saw the real Jono Marsh on Friday night.

In his previous senior games he's looked nervous and made uncharacteristic mistakes.

He is known around the club as one of our best young leaders too, so it's vital that we get senior games into him to build his confidence before we start playing games that matter again.

His ability to position himself to mark the inside 50 kicks from the opposition is his biggest talent, you almost can't teach that yet every elite defender has that skill.

His foot skills are passable without being elite, and then there's that pace that he's got that has given him injury concerns.

He's a huge part of our future, keep playing him now.

Agree, anointed him our most likely defensive general in an earlier thread. He's a natural at it, and seems to have a great grasp of what unfolding around him. Think his kicking will improve as he gains more experience. Not likely to ever be elite but was very good Friday. Still like to see him get time up on a wing where I think his pace and marking would be great assets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: