Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Let's anoint The Tuddy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:45 pm
Post subject: Let's anoint The TuddyReply with quote

I'm sick of a lot of things with our team this year, but more than anything, I hate the fact that we are as soft as butter. I want us to bring back genuine hardness, toughness and fair dinkum mongrel. I can handle losing, if we go down swinging. While Pendles is our best player, he aint no warrior and that's what we need as our on field leader. So, in hoping that we give the job to Adams next year, I'd like us to be bold, novel and uniquely Collingwood, by giving the role of captain a unique title name. Let's call it The Tuddy. Our on field leader will not be called our captain, but rather he'll be referred to as our Tuddy - named after the hardest, most fierce captain we ever had. That way, whoever has the role will be under no illusions as to what is expected.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw him play, but the name (not the person) Tuddy doesn't strike fear into my heart. It sounds like a name a baby would call their bear.

It may be a generational thing but even "The Kink" sounds better...

I don't think we should change the name from anything but Captain. I cant image in 3 years time when Adam Treloar raises that cup on GF day he would want to be referred as a Premiership Tuddy.

Football in general has lost its warriors, the AFL want it that way.

When Isaac Smith and Michael Firrito were shaping up last Friday and if either of them threw a punch and a fly got caught in the impact between the fist and the face... it would have flown off annoyed.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Bring back Captain Corrie!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:36 pm

5150 wrote:

Too true. And the sport is the poorer for it. Is it really just sport anymore?

5150 wrote:
When Isaac Smith and Michael Firrito were shaping up last Friday and if either of them threw a punch and a fly got caught in the impact between the fist and the face... it would have flown off annoyed.

LMFAO

Was Staker the last bloke to cop a fair dinkum punch in the face? Lord knows there's a few around who have ein backpfeifengesicht Laughing

MM

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:38 pm

5150 wrote:
Never saw him play, but the name (not the person) Tuddy doesn't strike fear into my heart. It sounds like a name a baby would call their bear.

I don't think we should change the name from anything but Captain. I cant image in 3 years time when Adam Treloar raises that cup on GF day he would want to be referred as a Premiership Tuddy.

Luke Hodge and Joel Selwood are warriors. It's not about throwing punches, but about putting your body on the line and fearlessly charging in for the ball. Adams does that for us, but not Pendles - who, after all, is a fabulous outside player. Finals football is generally won by the toughest, hardest team on the day.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 pm

5150 wrote:

Tuddy was as hard as a cats head, made Hodge and Duckwood look like sissy boys. Tuddy could floor most modern footballers with his breath.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
5150 wrote:

Tuddy was as hard as a cats head, made Hodge and Duckwood look like sissy boys. Tuddy could floor most modern footballers with his breath.

Did you give him some of your home brew?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:24 pm

LOL.

There was the story told by Harry O that shortly after he started, Tuddy invited him to an early morning personal training session to toughen him up. Tuddy was in his late 60's at the time and he smashed Harry up and down with body on body.

Belt him with a sledgehammer, the hammer would complain before he would.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Oops. Too much data.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:14 pm
Post subject: Re: Let's anoint The TuddyReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm sick of a lot of things with our team this year, but more than anything, I hate the fact that we are as soft as butter. I want us to bring back genuine hardness, toughness and fair dinkum mongrel. I can handle losing, if we go down swinging. While Pendles is our best player, he aint no warrior and that's what we need as our on field leader. So, in hoping that we give the job to Adams next year, I'd like us to be bold, novel and uniquely Collingwood, by giving the role of captain a unique title name. Let's call it The Tuddy. Our on field leader will not be called our captain, but rather he'll be referred to as our Tuddy - named after the hardest, most fierce captain we ever had. That way, whoever has the role will be under no illusions as to what is expected.

Tuddy was wonderful & part of my childhood growing up. I loved Tuddy. I still remember Alf Brown writing about him in the evening herald. I learnt the words vigorous & barrel chested from Alf when describing Tuddy. "Herald, Herald get your Herald" the newspaper sellers would yell.

Tuddy did play with hardness, using his barrel chest & vigour which unfortunately & inadvertently cleaned up McKenna & help lose us the 1970 flag. I was 13 at the time & I'm still crying.

Tragedy.

Collingwood.

We need to be careful what we wish for but I agree with your sentiment.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 am

https://soundcloud.com/your-football-life/des-tuddenhams-football-life
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Great interview. Enjoyed listening to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: