Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

books on collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 am
Post subject: books on collingwoodReply with quote

Talking on another thread about Kevin Rose and if you read the book on robert rose by his brother you would realize what a great person bobby was.
Anyway that was a great book and I would recommend that to anyone on Nicks.
Which got me thinking about that other book I have heard about but never actually read "kill for collingwood"
I have read books like "wild men of football" which was great that had some details about collingwood.
So does any other punters out there would like to recommend books or decent articles about collingwood to me or others on Nicks.h

rose 2.jpg

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read it for a long time but I enjoyed Brian Taylor's book which was published in the early 1990's. It wasn't a great literary piece but was a good insight into what was going on at the club especially in the 1990 premiership year.

One of his stories was that Leigh Matthews confronted him about his late night radio show as he thought that it was effecting BT's on field performance. BT told him not to worry about it as it was all pre-recorded. It wasn't though.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:21 pm
Post subject: Re: books on collingwoodReply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
Talking on another thread about Kevin Rose and if you read the book on robert rose by his brother you would realize what a great person kevin was.
Which got me thinking about that other book I have heard about but never actually read "kill for collingwood"
I have read books like "wild men of football" which was great that had some details about collingwood.
So does any other punters out there would like to recommend books or decent articles about collingwood to me or others on Nicks.h

I had Kill for Collingwood by a gun named Stremski I think , it was a good read, but is very dated now, came out thirty years ago, I have lost it ages ago. Incidentally, I see your love child Jez07 has reincarnated himself under two more aliases, was that his idea or yours ? Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:22 pm

^Whoops, typo, I meant a GUY named Stremski. !

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Not many people express themselves that way.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 pm

"Collingwood and Me" by Peter Daicos was good fun. He autographed my copy "Back to Back '91".
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Talking on another thread about Kevin Rose and if you read the book on robert rose by his brother you would realize what a great person kevin was.

I had Kill for Collingwood by a gun named Stremski I think , it was a good read, but is very dated now, came out thirty years ago, I have lost it ages ago. Incidentally, I see your love child Jez07 has reincarnated himself under two more aliases, was that his idea or yours ? Confused

You are pushing it mate.
Actually I don't care if we get multiple reincarnations of posters.
At least it is different.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

You are pushing it mate.

Yes, I guess split personalities can be entertaining in a freaky sort of way. Razz

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

You are pushing it mate.

Yes, I guess split personalities can be entertaining in a freaky sort of way. Razz

I must admit it is a little weird.
But I don't care.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I haven't read it for a long time but I enjoyed Brian Taylor's book which was published in the early 1990's. It wasn't a great literary piece but was a good insight into what was going on at the club especially in the 1990 premiership year.

One of his stories was that Leigh Matthews confronted him about his late night radio show as he thought that it was effecting BT's on field performance. BT told him not to worry about it as it was all pre-recorded. It wasn't though.

Why this book was interesting it really displayed BT having a bit of a sook at stages, some funny stuff in there and some good photos of BT cracking the shits.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:18 am

Richard Stremski's book "Kill for Collingwood" was published in the mid-eighties so it obviously is dated but it is still the best history of the Pies first 90 years. Actually it is probably close to the best history written of any of the pre-AFL clubs. It is more than time for some Collingwood supporting academic sports historian to write a serious history of Collingwood between 1986 and 2016.

I didn't much like Brian Taylor's biography. It was self-obsessed and quite spiteful in places. I read the book in 1990 but some of BT's radio and TV commentary in the years since then reflects the personality shown in the book. I much preferred the books of his team mates Peter Daicos and Tony Shaw. Come to think of it, I preferred them as footballers, too.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Richard Stremski's book "Kill for Collingwood" was published in the mid-eighties so it obviously is dated but it is still the best history of the Pies first 90 years. Actually it is probably close to the best history written of any of the pre-AFL clubs. It is more than time for some Collingwood supporting academic sports historian to write a serious history of Collingwood between 1986 and 2016.

I didn't much like Brian Taylor's biography. It was self-obsessed and quite spiteful in places. I read the book in 1990 but some of BT's radio and TV commentary in the years since then reflects the personality shown in the book. I much preferred the books of his team mates Peter Daicos and Tony Shaw. Come to think of it, I preferred them as footballers, too.

What is your background Dr Pie?
Are you an academic and do you have any connection to Dr Alf Andrews.
Anyway, I really must read that book Kill for Collingwood.
For some reason I thought is was written in the 50's or 60's.

Last edited by thompsoc on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Dr Pie wrote:

The reason that I liked BT's book was that it was honest not sugar coated. I really don't care for his TV work though.

Many years ago I decided to show my eldest son my old Peter Daicos cassette. I can't remember what it was called but it basically told his life story and had lots of his highlights. My son was distracted from the brilliance of Daicos by the highlights of BT doing his psycho act. He wanted to know if I had a BT cassette as he would rather watch that!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:51 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Dr Pie wrote:

The reason that I liked BT's book was that it was honest not sugar coated. I really don't care for his TV work though.

Many years ago I decided to show my eldest son my old Peter Daicos cassette. I can't remember what it was called but it basically told his life story and had lots of his highlights. My son was distracted from the brilliance of Daicos by the highlights of BT doing his psycho act. He wanted to know if I had a BT cassette as he would rather watch that!

He was great to watch in both his goal kicking and antics.
Pity his knees went.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 pm

yes, i recommend "kill for collingwood". read it when i was a young kid. i have a few collingwood books and one i quite enjoyed was joffa's "keep the faith".

bucks' "all i can be" is a good read too. maxy's grand final book was rushed out the door with too many typos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: