Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We stand by Ed!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLAGPIES 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 pm
Post subject: We stand by Ed!Reply with quote

We all know that Ed has put his foot in his mouth more than once during his tenure as our President over the last 20 years. I abhor violence towards women or anyone else for that matter and in no way do I condone Ed's language toward Caroline Wilson.
However I think this is the perfect forum to give and show our support to Ed in a time when all and sundry have come out from the hills, in particular the Sydney media to kick him while he is down!
I for one cannot thank Ed enough for what he has done for our club during his time as President!
As the famous line in our club song says "Side By Side We Stick Together" has never been more apt!
I for one stand by Ed!
Let's all show our support for him! I'm sure he would appreciate it as he reads this forum.

Floreat Pica!

P.S Let's go out and Smash the Filth on Saturday Night!!
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

People have always had it in for him. He's a very tall poppy and people want to cut him down.

You get everything with Ed, Toorak parties, helping the poor, dumb hurtful quotes that cover pretty much every negative -ism there is, passion for Collingwood.

If people think he's bad, I give you our Godfather, John Wren, overseer of our Golden Era of premierships. The historical one, not the tosser who uses his name on here Wink

For better or worse the man has lifted us from the mire, and at worst he is known to stand by his mates. Even if that's bad at times. He's loyal, unless you cross him. But he's a forgiving bloke for Collingwood's sake... look at Peter Moore, Malthouse, and one day Dollar Daisy will be welcomed back too.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:39 pm

In a lot of way Ed mirrors what this club is all about.

From humble beginnings he's risen to a place of power, a leader of industry.

Just like our club, that literally rose out of the shit (Collingwood area back then) to become the biggest sporting organisation in the country.

And like Ed, our club isn't perfect, in fact most of the time it's a downright mess, but it has the support of many, just like Ed has.

He's done more for this club off field than anyone in my lifetime, so whether he stays on as President for many more years or not, he's always got my thanks.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Have to Keep it Family Friendly. So I can't Post what I really think about it

<Mod edit: You can post what you think, provided it falls within the boundaries of The Rules. - bbmods>

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:59 pm

The Chinese government now has a saying relating to the legacy of Mao Zedung - "he was 70% good and 30% bad".

In Ed's case I'd rate him 90% good and 10% bad.

That's a pretty remarkable legacy over 18 years at the helm of our club.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:06 pm

It's been done to death and I think everyone can acknowledge that Eddie isn't perfect and has made a few mistakes along the way, but the good far outweighs the bad when it comes to him.

18 years in the one position is a long time, but I would be happy to keep him on until a suitable alternative comes along or Eddie decides to give up the position to someone else.

The club would have been absolutely mad to completely fall for the media's rhetoric and remove him from the presidency, so I'm glad they stood firm despite the circus it was last week releasing multiple statements to the public and forcing Eddie to apologise on numerous occasions.

Al Swearengen 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The Chinese government now has a saying relating to the legacy of Mao Zedung - "he was 70% good and 30% bad".

In Ed's case I'd rate him 90% good and 10% bad.

That's a pretty remarkable legacy over 18 years at the helm of our club.

Pretty much spot on.

He should be Prez until he wants to let it go and as long as he's doing good things for the club off the field.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Don't like outsiders abusing him but considering his bully tactics, it's not surprising.

Thanks for the effort Ed but it's time to step down.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:55 pm

mattys123 wrote:
In a lot of way Ed mirrors what this club is all about.

From humble beginnings he's risen to a place of power, a leader of industry.

Just like our club, that literally rose out of the shit (Collingwood area back then) to become the biggest sporting organisation in the country.

And like Ed, our club isn't perfect, in fact most of the time it's a downright mess, but it has the support of many, just like Ed has.

He's done more for this club off field than anyone in my lifetime, so whether he stays on as President for many more years or not, he's always got my thanks.

iagree, my dad was born and bred in Collingwood, and way back then it was a very low class area, smelly boot factories and industry, he was ashamed to tell anyone he came from Collingwood back then, so despised was the suburb by other clubs, and most people in other suburbs. Yes, ed has done a hell of a lot for the PIes, I reckon he might stand down soon, at seasons end, and pass the torch onto someone equally qualified as him. Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Ed has dug the hole, he has to lay in it. "It's not what you are dealt with in life, it's how you deal with it". The members built the club, the members are the ones that put the club back into the black. Remember we are the only club that the AFL has never financially helped out. Ed was the bloke we all followed in doing that and we all supported him. As it stands the members are walking away in droves and the same blokes in charge.

Ed needs to dig deep and focus on the club and get back to basics. If that means less media then so be it. He doesn't need the money.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 pm

18 years ... that is long enough for anybody whether good bad or indifferent.
Someone told me that norf has a use by date of 10 years for any president.
If true then we should do the same.
One of the problems with ed is ed.
I want the focus to be on collingwood not the prez like it as day after day.
And please don't use the slogan "side by side" to put down any different opinions.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm not really bothered how long a president is at a club for, I don't believe in changing for changes sake. If they're doing their job then that's fine, and Ed's doing that. Ed like all other presidents has a life and job that pays outside of the club that's fine.

He made an error in judgement not the first time, not the last, as long as he has a focus on Collingwood which he has then I don't much care what he does in the media.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:44 pm

I have never understood the traditional football situation of Presidents of football clubs being oft quoted public figures in their clubs when the CEO's are normally in the background. This is the opposite of what occurs in most businesses. How often do we hear from the chairman of the board of a public company? Not very often as that is what CEO"s are for.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I have never understood the traditional football situation of Presidents of football clubs being oft quoted public figures in their clubs when the CEO's are normally in the background. This is the opposite of what occurs in most businesses. How often do we hear from the chairman of the board of a public company? Not very often as that is what CEO"s are for.

That's because most Australian football clubs are members owned clubs, they are not privately owned businesses with share holdings, unlike sports clubs in the US or UK. Collingwood's board, who are unpaid, are elected by members, who in turn elect the President. The CEO is a paid officer appointed and employed by the board. So Ed can sack Perty, but Perty can't sack Ed.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I have never understood the traditional football situation of Presidents of football clubs being oft quoted public figures in their clubs when the CEO's are normally in the background.

Ed's quoted because he's a star in his own right.

There are eighteen clubs, eighteen club Presidents.
How many of them can you name?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: