Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie to be President or In Media. Not Both?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Eddie have to Give up 1 Job
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 26 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 61

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
Dave, Eddie never said the Goodes looked like King Kong. He made some bumbling gaffe about bringing Goodes down to Melbourne to promote the King Kong stage show. Linking together; Goodes, the ape comment from the young Pies fan and King Kong. A ludicrous thing to say - but that's all 3 years ago & has been done to death.
The latest gaffe, offering to donate more money if Carolline Wilson remains underwater is again a ludicrous statement.
We all know Eddie has done great things for us, and you don't need me to list them for you.
But after all these years, I'm cringing just that little bit more. He's got to do better in the public realm. He is President of the greatest club and should act accordingly.

There isn't any link at all between the two episodes. As you said, one was a gaffe where he had to play the tape back to hear what he said and then immediately issued an apology to Adam Goodes. The reason the Collingwood board didn't take any action was that the action had already been taken, namely the apology.
The second incident occurred in friendly banter raising money for MND and to relate his remarks to domestic violence is misconstruing what was said in the light of the occasion. Those people criticising him are on a political agenda with an axe to grind against Eddie. Caroline Wilson should be flattered her name was mentioned. Shows she is respected as a football writer. Instead she overreacts by becoming super sensitive reading into it something it wasn't intended. Furthermore it took a week for the episode to gather speed. Shows the whole episode is a blow up.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 am

Oops. Too much data.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 am

Dave I understand your sentiments mate but your looking at it wrong.
Eddie has been nothing but a asset to the club and in large part his media jobs add value to his value as president.
Every time a Ne sponsor comes on board at Collingwood he makes his radio show. At the great freeze the other day his suit was blazoned with sponsors stickers including MMM and Eddie said about 10 times each had tossed in 10 grand in support. Eddie is like a publicity machine for the club and yes sometimes he flies close to the breeze but don't forget his job in the media he is paid for opinions and sometimes those opinions can lead to controversy
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:27 am

I want Eddie and his best mate dumped for the disasters they've brought upon us since 2012, but I DONT accept this piddling comment as a reason to dump him or anyone else. Caro is a <snip>, everyone knows that, Collingwood supporters know it better than most. The comment was NOT aimed at her because of her sex, but because she's a hack journo who hates Collingwood!
How come he got into no trouble when he offered violence to Slobbo a month or two ago.
So apparently, its fine to bash healthy white males, but NO one else! If they can claim any sort of alliegance to any minority. Slobbo is fat, why weren't the comments aimed at him anti-fat?

If we can no longer tell he difference between a mild joke and domestic violence we might as well give up consuming media of any kind.

I'm actually disappointed that Ed folded and apologised rather than stick up for himself. It WAS clearly a joke, nothing more. It was NOT aimed at Caro because of her sex. It is ONLY news because it was Eddie. If Darcy hadve made the comment on his own nothing would have ensued. Grow a backbone McGuire, tell the media to get stuffed, and sack Buckley!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:33 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Footy is media business these days, so having a Pres who is a power in the media is great for COLLINGWOOD.

Except at times like these.

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 pm

both
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Hard to vote really knowing that Ed has more than one job outside of football, but if I was to vote I'd vote no. His other commitments have not hindered his performance as president of the club.

Ed has an opinion and it may get him into trouble, but he's entitled to an opinion. As long as Ed keeps striving for Collingwood's success and bringing in the money and doing the best job he can for the club he can make himself look like a dickhead in the media all he likes.

The day his job as Collingwood president starts to suffer then he has to make a decision, until then what he does is his business.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:56 pm

I am the first to say that I am not Eddie's biggest fan, yes he has done the club some good...he has also chosen poorly, the coaching handover was badly managed...and remains questionable.....but that is for another thread.

On this front it is all a bit of a storm in a teacup..comments were poor taste.. but only that.

I think the real issue is when you combine our on field efforts and coaching drama....the last thing the club needs is more press...Eddie should be just keeping the low profile.

Like i say, for someone who is open in his dislike for Eddie (I find him brash and very hypocritical). He has financially done very well for the club. But how long does one person stay in the same job? ....It is a conversation the club has to have.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:02 pm

His behaviour as a radio personality has little to no bearing on his role as a club president. It's only people looking to manufacture controversy who insist on conflating the two. I'd be perfectly happy if he gave up both jobs, but that's for him or his radio employer and Collingwood FC membership to decide, respectively.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Dave's outraged

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm

35forever wrote:
Caro is a <snip>, everyone knows that, Collingwood supporters know it better than most. The comment was NOT aimed at her because of her sex, but because she's a hack journo who hates Collingwood!

I wanna know what a <snip> is, and will I get chucked out of an AFL venue for calling somebody [read: Stevic/Schmidt] that at the top of my lungs?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm

Eddie will resign eventually, he will know when his time is up, but he need not resign over this purely storm in a teacup hoo hah.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Eddie will resign eventually, he will know when his time is up, but he need not resign over this purely storm in a teacup hoo hah.

All this saga needed was an apology, straight away from the MMM team. Simple as that. I'd only suggest Ed be sacked if he stubbornly dug his heels in and refused to back down.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:22 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

All this saga needed was an apology, straight away from the MMM team. Simple as that. I'd only suggest Ed be sacked if he stubbornly dug his heels in and refused to back down.

Apologise for telling a joke, that would not have offended Robbo one iota, or any other male journo, yeh, ok whatever. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Apologise for telling a joke, that would not have offended Robbo one iota, or any other male journo, yeh, ok whatever. Rolling Eyes

Who cares about Robbo, it offended Caro who was the target of the joke.

I guess the jokes on Brodie Panlock were funny too hey PnC? Robbo would probably not be offended by those jokes too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: