Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Women's Competition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If that girl in Stui's avatar is playing, I'm all for it
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:10 pm

BJ wrote:
If that girl in Stui's avatar is playing, I'm all for it

This brings up a valid point.
Will they use sex appeal to advertise the women's league?

Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:23 pm

I think the women's league is a great idea. The club has plenty of cash, the amount it can spend on the main team is artificially limited, so let's spread the love.

It's an investment in something that could well become massive, I fully expect the Pies to be at the forefront of this kind of development.

I wouldn't be shocked, in a decade or three, to find that the women's teams of the bigger clubs are actually more popular than the fringe AFL clubs in non-footy states.
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:38 pm

didick wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Surely women's team will benefit bring more supporters together. Wouldn't it be great for a family who has there son and daughter play for the same club, maybe one day might be a father/daughter draft pick.

Or a mother/son? LOL

Could happen
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:07 am

Redlight wrote:
I think the women's league is a great idea. The club has plenty of cash, the amount it can spend on the main team is artificially limited, so let's spread the love.

It's an investment in something that could well become massive, I fully expect the Pies to be at the forefront of this kind of development.

I wouldn't be shocked, in a decade or three, to find that the women's teams of the bigger clubs are actually more popular than the fringe AFL clubs in non-footy states.

Plus it gives all those girls who have wanted to play football at the elite level a chance to do that. Now that there are more junior girls leagues starting up, Tasmania has started throughout this year a come and try campaign for girls to get interested and then join the STJFL girls league.

When I was working at Sorell earlier in the year I saw a lot of girls at the come and try event down there. It will certainly bolster the future of the women's league here which is still in it's infancy.

Since most major sporting codes have already got women's league it also makes sense for the AFL to venture into this and to capitalise on the good ratings that the Dees and Bulldogs game have gotten is good business for the AFL as well.

Only way it's not going to work is if clubs don't appoint the right people into the right areas of the club and it seems Collingwood are doing the leg work to get the right people into the right areas.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 am

Has to be Father and Daughter rule.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:29 am

Culprit wrote:
Has to be Father and Daughter rule.

Eventually a Mother and Daughter rule too.

And what about a Mother and Son rule???
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 am

thompsoc wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
jackcass wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think many posters are missing the bigger picture here.
Firstly I would had been appalled had our club not thrown its hat in the ring to field a ladies team. They are 50% of the population and with female sports being given more air time on both free to air and pay TV as well as other sports having a larger emphasis on female elite sports it seems a no brainer really.
I'm sure all our current sponsors and any new ones wold be delighted the club has diversified into female sports. It also offers up the opportunity for the club to attract more secondary sponsorship dollars into our coffers.
I'm unsure on how fixturing will be done but there could be a female game played prior to either a VFL or AFL game adding to the value for dollar of any entrance or membership fee paid.
I would assume we will be offering members the chance to view all female AFL fixtures and netball fixtures as part of there existing membership costs.
As for the overall expense of operating these 2 female teams I'm sure the club has looked at it as a long term investment. I'm willing to bet as part of the next round of broadcast money that comes into effect from 2018 onwards the AFL will be funding a large chunk of operating costs or offering other benefits to the clubs who field teams.
I'm happy our club has taken the opportunity to further enhance the brand and this may attract more members and sponsors again strenthgening our brand

That gets back to my point about where the money is going to come from. Will there really be more paid by broadcasters for women's games? Will broadcasters even want to broadcast them? It's very unlikely they will be played before AFL games, and shown on free to air TV, as there is just no room for that. They could be played and telecast as curtain raisers to VFL matches but I see problems with the revenue split for such a game, in terms of gate attendances. At best the women's game could hope for pay TV broadcasts but the value for that would be minimal.

Simply saying that the AFL will be funding a large chunk of the operating costs is another way of saying that the game will run at a loss. It is the clubs money that the AFL is spending.The AFL cannot keep funding bad business deals. There has to be stand alone financial viability at some stage, whether that be expansion clubs or a women's league.

The Collingwood Football Club and more broadly the AFL are Australian Public Companies limited by guarantee. They are not-for profit organisations. Monies earned have to flow back into the activity of the organisations and both have a responsibility to promote and develop the game. How is establishing a women's team and in the case of the AFL a competition in any way contrary to these requirements. Just what are the negatives? As others have stated just over 50% of the population are women, why not do the utmost to engage that demographic? The AFL and the networks have already shown a willingness to broadcast some women's footy games, why would that change?

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying but you have not addressed the financial aspect, which is my concern. It is ludicrous to think that just by announcing a women's competition that viewers, sponsors and broadcasters will jump on board. The AFL is not a bottomless pit of money and cannot keep on bleeding funds when so much more needs to be done at the grass roots level to save the game from its real threat, soccer. If the game was to be promoted and developed properly the money should be spent on juniors at primary school age.

None of the above have addressed the financial aspects.
Except that women make up 50 percent of the population.
and by default will get involved in supporting the women's league.
As opposed to participating.
It is nothing but a leap of faith.
Loved to see the business plan.
Will it be facts, opinions or just plain hope.
Bet it is dressed up as facts.
Should sic the "perceptive fellow" on to it.

I just heard Melbourne's CEO being interviewed on SEN. They have no budget or business plan and he literally does not know what the expense will be but did say it will be run through their football department.Why does that not surprise me?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 am

That is bizarre if they haven't commissioned a business plan for the league both at the AFL and club level.
From what the Melbourne CEO said it will be the resources from the clubs that will kick start this adventure.
Will the football department be allowed to spend more money?
Will there be a seperate women's football department?
Anyone get the vibe that it is all about the vibe?

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:55 pm

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/roos-team-for-tassie-girls/news-story/646fa9acaa1c81adf5d48b9455417dfc

Quote:
THE AFL wants North Melbourne to become “a female team for Tasmania” with the state a key part of the Kangaroos’ bid to join the women’s AFL after its inaugural season.

The Kangaroos were not one of the eight AFL clubs yesterday given licences to join the women’s league but were one of five to be granted “provisional licences” with the potential to join the competition in 2018.

Despite not being involved in the inaugural competition, the Roos will have “incentives” to focus on developing junior Tasmanian female talent, with AFL general manager, game and market development Simon Lethlean telling the Mercury this will be a key part of North’s chances of joining the competition.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:09 pm

I don't want my son going anywhere near an Auskick clinic let alone my daughter, is the AFL trying to get more chics playing football or something, is that their aim?

I can't see it taking off...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
I don't want my son going anywhere near an Auskick clinic let alone my daughter, is the AFL trying to get more chics playing football or something, is that their aim?

What's wrong with Auskick?

Claremont one has a very good program, when I was coaching the Glenorchy one we would have had a good program there. Just mini games, and learning drills and sometimes getting on the oval for half time. After going through the coaching process it's pretty good for kids. Girls get to learn the same drills as the boys and there's nothing bad there. No tackling, no real contact it's pretty harmless really.

There are a lot of "chics" already playing football, this is giving them somewhere to play it that allows them to be competitive, down here we've established a league for the girls to play, and also come and try events for them to see if they're really interested in playing fully.

The last few years there has been a State Women's Carnival that has been pretty good, Tasmania were the last team to enter it I believe 5 years ago. The league itself on the back of the good ratings the exhibition games have been getting, it will likely lead to even more girls playing.

The junior leagues starting up will be to get even more girls playing, if you don't want your kids playing that's your decision but going by the numbers I've seen down here there are many girls that are keen to get involved. Claremont even hosted their very first girls game not so long ago.

Many girls are doing the Auskick clinics, now they have somewhere to go once they leave Auskick.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm

^ my six year old niece loves her time each week at auskick. she may or may not ever play at a top level but auskick is simply a bit of fun for her. also, she adores going to the footy. sadly, she supports the rabble from windy hill but that was not of my doing.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:09 pm

John Wren wrote:
^ my six year old niece loves her time each week at auskick. she may or may not ever play at a top level but auskick is simply a bit of fun for her. also, she adores going to the footy. sadly, she supports the rabble from windy hill but that was not of my doing.

Yeah Auskick is meant to be a bit of fun, a few go onto play junior footy, some don't but it's just a fun activity for those that want to kick the ball around. Sadly there are too many forced to be there and it was harder coaching them as they were more interested in doing other things.

But the kids were having fun that was the main thing, we didn't have any girls when I was coaching but a couple signed on later. Seemed to enjoy it anyway.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:22 am

ANNODAM wrote:

It could go the way of the swannettes, or the Bluebirds, does anyone here remember them, ahhh, those were the days, the heady 80s!! Razz Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: