Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Women's Competition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Women's CompetitionReply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:
"Geelong and Richmond have missed out on inaugural AFL women's team licences, while Collingwood and Carlton, along with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, are understood to be celebrating their successful bids in an inaugural eight-team competition. "

Officially to be announced at 11.00am - Sam Lane - The Age.

I cannot get excited about this.
I really don't see the point of us going out and getting other teams, or teams in other codes or whatever.
Has it a social and cultural benefit??? ...... a little.
A marketing benefit.????/.. I suspect not
Will it make our Club stronger???? probably not, if a scandal of any sort happens it will just distract from the main goal.
Will it be a drain on our finances ...probably
It is the perpetual dilemma, diversify or concentrate on core business.
The great capitalist conundrum..

Yes, agree, the thing is, put these meaningless games on, on their own, at venues with NO senior mens AFL game to follow, and youd get around 600 people tops spectating, including families and friends of the shelia players. This comp could not stand on its own, without a it being a pre senior game warm up event, then they will obviously get crowds waiting for the main senior MALE game. This is just meaningless to me, just another gimmick by the League. Rolling Eyes

Disagree. Women's cricket seems to be going okay, started under the same misogynistic clouds.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
jackcass wrote:
I don't disagree with any of what you are saying but you have not addressed the financial aspect, which is my concern. It is ludicrous to think that just by announcing a women's competition that viewers, sponsors and broadcasters will jump on board. The AFL is not a bottomless pit of money and cannot keep on bleeding funds when so much more needs to be done at the grass roots level to save the game from its real threat, soccer. If the game was to be promoted and developed properly the money should be spent on juniors at primary school age.

I have addressed the financials. The AFL and the CFC have to reinvest earnings back into the activity of the club. Salary cap restricts the amount that can be spent on players, the faux footy department salary cap restricts the amount that can be spent on the footy department, what else is the club to spend it's millions in revenue on? Stockpile it? Buy more brass busts of Eddy? The club (and the League) already invest heavily (and receive substantial sponsor funding to do so) in the promotion and development of the game. How is this any different? Why does it have to be about profitability rather than doing what is right and what will likely longer term enhance the standing of the club in the broader community?

I personally would be disappointed if the club wasn't on board with this. I'd wager that sponsors would be disappointed if the CFC wasn't on board with this. It'll be money well spent.

No, you haven't addressed it. Simply referring to the wealthiest club does not make a competition viable. Brisbane, Melbourne, Dogs & GWS can't even afford to pay their own bills let alone introducing the cost of a women's team.

I never said it would be viable. Don't see why people think it has to be given that the club/league HAVE to spend the money on the activity of the club/league which includes development and promotion. They already spend money of development and promotion... how much of that is viable?

Jackass, my concern is that the AFL board has its head up its backside and is spending money for no return when it should focus on the grass roots of football. The game cannot be taken for granted. I am already dismayed at the way the game has changed and I don't believe enough is being done to protect it from its competitors. Look at most school playgrounds around Melbourne. What sport are they playing? It used to be almost exclusively football not too long ago. Not any more. I spoke to one high school student at a large school a short time ago and asked him why his school football team was so bad. He laughed and said that's because the 'unco" kids play football because they didn't get picked for the soccer or basketball teams. Soccer fields have replaced footy ovals in many places. The kids spending hours on their computers are playing soccer and basketball games, not football games. They know the soccer and basketball players and their stats going back 30 years but know little of AFL. The AFL cannot just bank on TV rights propping it up forever.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm

jackcass wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:
"Geelong and Richmond have missed out on inaugural AFL women's team licences, while Collingwood and Carlton, along with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, are understood to be celebrating their successful bids in an inaugural eight-team competition. "

I really don't see the point of us going out and getting other teams, or teams in other codes or whatever.
Will it make our Club stronger???? probably not, if a scandal of any sort happens it will just distract from the main goal.

Yes, agree, the thing is, put these meaningless games on, on their own, at venues with NO senior mens AFL game to follow, and youd get around 600 people tops spectating, including families and friends of the shelia players. This comp could not stand on its own, without a it being a pre senior game warm up event, then they will obviously get crowds waiting for the main senior MALE game. This is just meaningless to me, just another gimmick by the League. Rolling Eyes

Disagree. Women's cricket seems to be going okay, started under the same misogynistic clouds.

Misogynistic, that's rich, ok, lets see if they have the balls to put this on on its own then, no senior game to follow, just on its pat Malone, no afl game to back it up. Turn it up, youd get two and a dog, and I bet they never do it because itd be a total unmitigated failure. Our club is in crisis, and we are worried abouit this irrelevance, lets sort out the Collingwood FC first before we get involved in this stuff.

Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Jackass, my concern is that the AFL board has its head up its backside and is spending money for no return when it should focus on the grass roots of football. The game cannot be taken for granted. I am already dismayed at the way the game has changed and I don't believe enough is being done to protect it from its competitors. Look at most school playgrounds around Melbourne. What sport are they playing? It used to be almost exclusively football not too long ago. Not any more. I spoke to one high school student at a large school a short time ago and asked him why his school football team was so bad. He laughed and said that's because the 'unco" kids play football because they didn't get picked for the soccer or basketball teams. Soccer fields have replaced footy ovals in many places. The kids spending hours on their computers are playing soccer and basketball games, not football games. They know the soccer and basketball players and their stats going back 30 years but know little of AFL. The AFL cannot just bank on TV rights propping it up forever.

Understand where you're coming from just don't see how developing women's footy isn't developing grass roots footy. How many mothers make their boys play soccer because it's "safe"? Win the hearts and minds of women generally, give them ownership, and the game itself has to be better off.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Misogynistic, that's rich, ok, lets see if they have the balls to put this on on its own then, no senior game to follow, just on its pat Malone, no afl game to back it up. Turn it up, youd get two and a dog, and I bet they never do it because itd be a total unmitigated failure. Our club is in crisis, and we are worried abouit this irrelevance, lets sort out the Collingwood FC first before we get involved in this stuff.

Rolling Eyes

Dude, read. That's exactly what they're doing, it's an 8 week comp to be played in Feb and March prior to the AFL season starting.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:43 pm

jackcass wrote:

Understand where you're coming from just don't see how developing women's footy isn't developing grass roots footy. How many mothers make their boys play soccer because it's "safe"? Win the hearts and minds of women generally, give them ownership, and the game itself has to be better off.

I think we are actually in heated agreement. I do not have a problem with women's football, but with the way it is being put forward.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:51 pm

This is a bit like being against motherhood.
No one is against it.
It is a question of who pays and what is the benefit.
And before we have some people say that some money must go to community and therefore this is where it should go.
Well, make a congo line with the other worthy groups for that handout.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Dude, read. That's exactly what they're doing, it's an 8 week comp to be played in Feb and March prior to the AFL season starting.

Well now, didn't know that, I'm gong by the games played thus far, the dogs v dees games, all on pre game, I naturally thought the same thing would apply, as it did for the last two yrs. OK, lets see how it goes on its own, a footy starved public might go, like is this thing going to be a part of the pre season practice games, or the Nab cup stuff ? I cant see it surviving financially on its own, many Melb clubs are already on the welfare drip now, how much will this cost these cash strapped clubs, or the league. ?? They should be putting more funds into junior football, which is dying a slow and painful death, my sons former junior club had too fold last season. Confused

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 pm

I don't reckon they'll be relying on game day attendance for money, more on sponsorship.

I'm happy for them to give it a go and see how it works and if there's an appetite for it, grow the season and make it longer. It's a starting point. Baby steps.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Well now, didn't know that, I'm gong by the games played thus far, the dogs v dees games, all on pre game, I naturally thought the same thing would apply, as it did for the last two yrs. OK, lets see how it goes on its own, a footy starved public might go, like is this thing going to be a part of the pre season practice games, or the Nab cup stuff ? I cant see it surviving financially on its own, many Melb clubs are already on the welfare drip now, how much will this cost these cash strapped clubs, or the league. ?? They should be putting more funds into junior football, which is dying a slow and painful death, my sons former junior club had too fold last season. Confused

Tasmanian Women's League seems to be doing fine, it's in it's fifth year now and has it's games generally on a Sunday. Seemed a few people get along to the games not sure if they're charging to go to them.

We have had trouble with funding for the juniors as well, when I was doing the committee we had to run fundraisers and the likes. It would be good if the governing bodies made sure that all footy leagues and teams were able to survive.

TV ratings during the women's games seemed to suggest there's interest in a woman's game. If you give it decent exposure it can get off the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Tasmanian Women's League seems to be doing fine, it's in it's fifth year now and has it's games generally on a Sunday. Seemed a few people get along to the games not sure if they're charging to go to them.

We have had trouble with funding for the juniors as well, when I was doing the committee we had to run fundraisers and the likes. It would be good if the governing bodies made sure that all footy leagues and teams were able to survive.

TV ratings during the women's games seemed to suggest there's interest in a woman's game. If you give it decent exposure it can get off the ground.

Yeh, weill my sons former club, once great, had too fold, kids now getting into soccer. Money should be going into junior footy, and putting a League team into Tassie, a footy state, not on gimmicks. Idea

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Yeah, sorry, just a generalist shot at some of the comments in the thread.

Last edited by jackcass on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 pm

jackcass wrote:

I think we are actually in heated agreement. I do not have a problem with women's football, but with the way it is being put forward.

I heatedly agree
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:53 pm

^ No worries mate, I'm not against womens footy comps in general, everything has its place, I'm just convinced about League supported teams, when junior footy is in such dire straits, as it is. I also got angry seeing silly eddie on tele, front and centre, on this, jocking and laughing, carrying on. For chrissakes,our club is in crisis, our coach is beleaguered, under immense pressure, we cant win games, we are being pilloried in the press and media, we are a friggin joke at this time, and Eddie should be front and centre on the Collingwood FC, our present crisis, not on this froth and bubble sideshow.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm

mattys123 wrote:
We beat Richmond out for a team, that's worth it alone. Laughing

Totally, and they knew the Tiger-lillys would finish ninth, which equates to last in this format anyhoo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: