Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Get us a ruckman!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
I remember seeing Gawn run around the freeway reserve near Mazenod College. He was tall, but really thin. And no beard. He looked awkward as heck.

No he is in line for AA honours. He has come a long long way.

Listening to Gawn a couple of times on the radio, he said that last year he decided that he wanted to be known as a great ruckman in the same way as Sandilands, Goldstein etc. Decided he needed to put in extra work to get to that position. Sometimes players have to take it upon themselves to be the best, do a little bit extra.

Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Watch the last 12 minutes in the second quarter of the 2010 flag and you'll see Darren Jolly win Collingwood a Premiership. Don't want to bag either of our 3 rucks at the moment but I do think it was pretty ordinary list management that left us so exposed in the ruck dept. If we do happen to part ways with Bucks I'd be going straight after Jolly as our ruck coach.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Ceglar...
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Should have picked up a Currie or a Giles as a backup. Would have been cheap and given us options with form/injury/ruck-style issues.

Not a ruck, but Stevie J would have been handy too and was there for the taking. Would have played most games this year and filled a hole (given injuries we have had). Wills is the player I would not have drafted to make room for Stevie J. Clearly a better option for 2016 and I'm not seeing anything to suggest that Wills will be other than a good VFL player maybe an AFL plodder at best.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:54 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Should have picked up a Currie or a Giles as a backup. Would have been cheap and given us options with form/injury/ruck-style issues.

Not a ruck, but Stevie J would have been handy too and was there for the taking. Would have played most games this year and filled a hole (given injuries we have had). Wills is the player I would not have drafted to make room for Stevie J. Clearly a better option for 2016 and I'm not seeing anything to suggest that Wills will be other than a good VFL player maybe an AFL plodder at best.

Hope you are wrong about wills.
At 191 cm he is the ideal size.
Did some good things last week.
But I have not really watch him much this year.
Will watch closely next week at vic park.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:01 pm

thompsoc wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Hope you are wrong about wills.
At 191 cm he is the ideal size.
Did some good things last week.
But I have not really watch him much this year.
Will watch closely next week at vic park.

An over-age draftee who hasn't got a game in a team struggling to find 22 fit players. Says a bit I think. He has been good as a bull mid in VFL this year, but I was very surprised the Club took him ahead of Crocker based on talent. He was barely mentioned pre-draft.

FWIW I hope I am wrong too.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Get us a ruckman!Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Get us a ruckman!

725910-8d4b28f4-1d3e-11e4-bf72-fc0acc2f37ad.jpg

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:58 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:

Disagree, Currie is 27 and Giles 28 and don't think either offer as much at senior level as either Grundy or Witts. On top of that if I remember correctly we already have the tallest squad in the league. Would we end up re-enacting the laughable scenario of a few years back where our VFL had Ceglar, Wood, Gault, Shae Mc and Witts in F50? How does that promote the development of Cox, Wyatt, Witts and/or Grundy?

Similar discussion when you look at Stevie J. Would Crocker have got his opportunity if Stevie J was on the list? Wills played some VFL at the club as a 23rd player so pretty sure they knew what he could offer. Reckon he was on track for a debut but injured himself. Think he'll get a crack before seasons end. Not quick but just keeps getting the footy like Barlow.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 pm

jackcass wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Disagree, Currie is 27 and Giles 28 and don't think either offer as much at senior level as either Grundy or Witts. On top of that if I remember correctly we already have the tallest squad in the league. Would we end up re-enacting the laughable scenario of a few years back where our VFL had Ceglar, Wood, Gault, Shae Mc and Witts in F50? How does that promote the development of Cox, Wyatt, Witts and/or Grundy?

Similar discussion when you look at Stevie J. Would Crocker have got his opportunity if Stevie J was on the list? Wills played some VFL at the club as a 23rd player so pretty sure they knew what he could offer. Reckon he was on track for a debut but injured himself. Think he'll get a crack before seasons end. Not quick but just keeps getting the footy like Barlow.

Yes Currie and Giles are in their prime years as ruckman. Giles has also demonstrated an ability to kick goals as a forward at AFL level. I was suggesting them as backup/depth, not ahead of Grundy and Witts. Cox has probably delivered more than most expected this year. Height alone isn't an issue so long as you have sufficient depth at each position. Witts and Gault have both missed chunks of games with injury and it is clear that opportunities would have been sufficient for all talls without retarding development. If anyone missed out it would be Howe from the VFL.

Stevie J would have offered much more than Crocker this year and probably for another 1 or 2 years. I am a massive wrap on Crocker, but there is no need to gift games early. I would much rather we followed the example of successful programs at Hawthorn and Geelong and let the draftees learn their craft in the VFL for a few years before asking them to step up to AFL level (with the odd exception of guys such as Moore and De Goey who were high picks).

Re Wills - absolutely he would have been a known quantity for the Club and I hope the Club has seen something that I (and all draft pundits at the time) missed. I just see him as one of those good VFL players who can perhaps play AFL, but is nothing special.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Happy to agree to disagree. If we were looking at recruiting an established ruckmen it had to be someone who would add to the senior 22 (like Kruz or Smith) forcing either Witts or Grundy back to VFL and likely denying Cox senior opportunity. Happy the club opted to add a project player like Wyatt rather than list cloggers like Giles or Currie as he offers more upside.

Crocker only getting games due to Fas and Elliott injuries and at trade/draft period doubt anyone would have anticipated both being out injured and Crocker getting his opportunities. Still happy for the club to look longer term and overlook Stevie J. Luke Ball was 25 when we drafted him, Jolly 29, both playing good footy when we grabbed them. Johnson is 32 and coming off an ordinary season. Yes he's been good this year but just too risky when we'd already committed to Keeffe and Thomas to have someone else on the list who may or may not add anything.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:23 pm

No need to get 30 yo player As good as Stevie J has been this year we would not be that m8uch more successful and at the expense of losing games into the kids
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:41 pm

Grundy was good tonight
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Grundy was good tonight

Grundy was excellent tonite.
But he didn't have much competition.
He needs to be the best against good opposition.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Grundy was good tonight

Don't say that, it doesn't fit the narrative.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:28 am

stui magpie wrote:
Grundy was good tonight

Agreed. Just got back from the game, thought he did reasonably well tonight. People need to remember he is still a young ruckman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: