Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fair weather supporters.... are you one?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He bought the coat.

I bought a $15 beanie and that was enough lol.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:09 am

Watched the recorded version of the Freo game at 11.30pm, having returned from an offshore business/pleasure trip.

Did have occasion to attend the Iceland vs Austria Euro 2016 game while in Paris last week. 75,000 and a chorus of singing from both teams fans. An amazing atmosphere that even my sport-disinterested girlfriend was impressed with. Even the last minute score to win by Iceland made it memorable and there were barely any 'fake' injuries on the day, a major cultural problem I have with the World Game.
I even had occasion to laugh at their kiss-cam, when two seemingly heterosexual blokes in the crowd were requested to show their love for each other. The concept does exist at European football too.

I must say I have found it more difficult to get to (and stay at) Pies games this season. A combination of post-divorce access arrangements with my football-attending son and increased personal travel arrangements with a new flame have been contributing factors. The Pies increasingly dismal form (seeming lack of effort and functional game plan) has definitely taken its toll though. I have found it frustrating to watch and don't enjoy my demeanour when we put up generally inept displays like we did against St Kilda for instance.

So, if reduced attendance on such grounds makes me fair weather, then so be it. I'll cop that. I don't regret it though. I still enjoy getting to games when we put in and fail like we did against the Dogs and would happily front up to a majority of losses under such circumstances. While I accept some variability in performance from week to week with a young team, our depths have been too low for me to swallow at times and have kept my attention elsewhere on occasion. I take some solace that I pay my (and my son's) Legends Membership current and the club gets the financial benefit of this, even if they don't get my vocal support as often on game day.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:10 am

DP
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:55 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Last night cost me $150. Froze to death and drizzle walking home. Into the city today to purchase a wool overcoat from David Jones. Got a good price though with all the department stores continuing their stock taking sales.

Likely cost me that if not more. $122 for 2x reserve seats in N52, $12 for parking, at least $30 for fuel, a couple of hours of hard earned TOIL to allow travel from Bendigo. But that was for me and my father.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Last night cost me $150. Froze to death and drizzle walking home. Into the city today to purchase a wool overcoat from David Jones. Got a good price though with all the department stores continuing their stock taking sales.

How can it cost you $150 to go to the footy?

At $7.50 per beer it adds up quickly. Embarassed

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

How can it cost you $150 to go to the footy?

At $7.50 per beer it adds up quickly. Embarassed

Yeah, only light beers and how can anyone drink that!
I sneaked my alcohol in on friday night just to spite the bastards.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:19 pm

I must be a warm weather supporter as I didn't go on Friday night due to the conditions.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:29 pm

3rd degree wrote:
it was damn cold last night , but man the victory beers me and BBHS after the game tasted like 32 degrees in Hawaii!

Dam right mate those beers where sweet!

We have have sat through much worse than that before good win by the lads
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 am

The old throw away line of "Fair Weather Supporters" is just the dumb and ignorant not looking at the big picture.

The days of die hard football followers are long gone. People had no alternative but to go to the football as there was no live football and teams had suburban venues and *uck me they actually played on a Saturday afternoon. People also had the choice of three games (U19's, Reserves & Seniors) and only paid for one game.

Now people have multiple choices what to do and with live TV of ALL games many decide to do other things. If your team is just turning up to be witches hats for the opposition many decide to do something that they will enjoy more.

Friday night was a perfect example. Live game and freeze ya buns off or sit at home in the warm comfort of your surroundings. Easy choice for many.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Interesting take on it by Rohan Connolly.

Quote:
The AFL has made plenty of mistakes in recent times. But I believe one of its biggest for the long term might have been when it used the fixture as a guinea pig in 2014, trialling six Thursday night and six Sunday night games
The latter slot was a disaster, culminating in just 40,936 fans showing up for a Collingwood-Carlton clash at the MCG – the lowest attendance between the sides at the venue since a 1921 semi-final. Thursday nights were considered enough of a success for the experiment to have continued.
But both trials were very clear statements that the game had put television audiences – and the broadcasters – well ahead of those hardcore fans who actually go to games every week. And that was a major tipping point.
Those rusted-on supporters had had their patronage taken for granted for a long time, but this was one thumbing of the nose too many. The fall in Victorian crowds that resulted was a wake-up call of sorts for the AFL, but was it too late? Because there's not a lot of evidence that those committed fans the league so annoyed have actually come back to the fold.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-are-crowds-as-committed-to-a-tv-game-20160626-gps6uu.html#ixzz4CrWeUQxK
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Quite a good article overall whether you agree or disagree. I've quoted a part from the middle.

FWIW on reflection I agree. I went to less games in 2014 than I had been going to due to what i considered to be shit fixturing. Since then I've been more fussy and are more likely to choose to stay home and watch on TV rather than make the effort to go in than I was.

I still pay for my membership each year so the club gets the money whether I attend or not.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting take on it by Rohan Connolly.

Quote:
The AFL has made plenty of mistakes in recent times. But I believe one of its biggest for the long term might have been when it used the fixture as a guinea pig in 2014, trialling six Thursday night and six Sunday night games
The latter slot was a disaster, culminating in just 40,936 fans showing up for a Collingwood-Carlton clash at the MCG – the lowest attendance between the sides at the venue since a 1921 semi-final. Thursday nights were considered enough of a success for the experiment to have continued.
But both trials were very clear statements that the game had put television audiences – and the broadcasters – well ahead of those hardcore fans who actually go to games every week. And that was a major tipping point.
Those rusted-on supporters had had their patronage taken for granted for a long time, but this was one thumbing of the nose too many. The fall in Victorian crowds that resulted was a wake-up call of sorts for the AFL, but was it too late? Because there's not a lot of evidence that those committed fans the league so annoyed have actually come back to the fold.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-are-crowds-as-committed-to-a-tv-game-20160626-gps6uu.html#ixzz4CrWeUQxK
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Quite a good article overall whether you agree or disagree. I've quoted a part from the middle.

FWIW on reflection I agree. I went to less games in 2014 than I had been going to due to what i considered to be shit fixturing. Since then I've been more fussy and are more likely to choose to stay home and watch on TV rather than make the effort to go in than I was.

I still pay for my membership each year so the club gets the money whether I attend or not.

Actually quite a good read. I don't have a membership so it's the pricing of reserved seats and the convoluted areas that are made accessible through that process on top of all the issues raised in the article. $65 for a reserve seat in a half decent viewing area is an absolute disgrace. As a comparison MCC guest tickets are at $35 and there is still an element of first in best dressed for the primo viewing seats. Add that to the 2 hour road trip each way and I've noticed it's more difficult this year than any previous to motivate myself to get to the games. YTD I've managed 6x senior games, 2x NAB games, 2x VFL games. Hopefully increase those numbers significantly in the run home.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:17 pm

For me it's the time investment.

Minimum hour to get there then a biatch to get home afterwards.

I'll decide whether I'm going to Saturday nights game around 5pm Saturday. If I'm feeling positive I'll go in, hit up King St after the game and get a cab home Sunday morning. If not, I'll watch on TV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: