Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fair weather supporters.... are you one?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Queensland and not being super rich,I go to either both Qld games if they have 2 in the year and 1 Melb .game,or 1 Qld game and 2 in Melbourne which I use as a family catch up as well.I used to go every week when I lived in Vic and stopped playing football.
I go to the footy to see the players,young and old and try to be not TOO judgemental ,although my resilience did crack after seeing the continuing bad form of a couple of players yesterday and I have no inside knowledge of the clubs hierarchy,and try to see see a win or a loss for what it is.The Footscray game was one in question ,where I believe we were the better team but 5 injuries made it nearly impossible to hang on,but we nearly did. How or why we can come out the next week and play so differently is not for me to say ,but I doubt it is the coaches fault.
I have not,or never will write,phone or email the club with any criticism or advise?? and would never throw or destroy my membership ticket away .
I wear my colours on my daily walks without fail and I'm proud to do so.I'm happy to trade barbs with anyone ,especially those not ballsy enough to show their own colours.
Disappointed ??? Kenoath. Disillusioned ?? No way. We've been decimated by injuries and when we have a full and settled list to select from,we will be as good anyone.GO PIES.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 pm
Post subject: Re: Fair weather supporters.... are you one?Reply with quote

Medieval wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Medieval wrote:
1. I am a Legends Member and go to every game in Vic and have for the last 12 years (except for a month last year when I was overses).

2. I am there to appreciate AND to judge. Not based on little inside knowledge, more based on what I see out on the field. Things like shepherds, running, effort are expected and should be part of any player's performace in any game, no matter the scale. Losing is not preferrable, but is somewhat acceptable if you have given absolutely everything you can and are simply beaten by a better team on the day.

3. I have many gripes with the club at the moment, although most would not align with popular opinion. I don't write to the club to complain and I rarely post complaints on Nick's. The correlation between those two things is that regardles of whether I wrote to the club or complained on Nick's, nothing would change and so it shouldn't.

I constantly hear people complaining about Buckley's gameplan and it's become ridiculous. People say he has no discernable gameplan, but does any coach?
Someone please explain to me in detail, what is Don Pyke's gameplan? What is Alan Richardson's? What is any AFL coach's gameplan? I'm assuming the end result is to win, but the in between is semantics and if a gameplan was that easily identifiable by the fans in the stands or watching on tv, it wouldn't work well for very long, would it?

Anyway... back to watching the win against Geelong from a few weeks ago... for the 8th time.

After watching this year's games I have discerned the ten commandments which are the foundation of the current Pies gameplan:-

1. Thou shalt fumble;
2. Thou shalt kick to a contest;
3. Thou shalt miss the target;
4. Thou shalt not take the first option;
5. Thou shalt not go straight ahead;
6. Thou shalt go sideways or backwards;
7. Thou shalt not man up;
8. Thou shalt take on the tackler and lose the ball;
9. Thou shalt let the opposition break tackles; and
10. Thou shalt only kick to space in front of a tall forward if thou is unable to kick to the opposition.

Once those commandments are understood the game plan is quite simple.

You're so spot on it hurts my black and white heart. I would also add:

11. Thou shalt hold up play after a mark and allow all oppsition players ample time to implement their defensive structures.

Thou shalt not tell the truth on Nicks
Thou shalt only blame injuries and inexperience.
And lastly thou shalt make me laugh at the first 12 commandments.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:12 pm

I go to all games in Melbourne and also went to Sydney in rd 1.
I go to watch the team perform at their best (or near enough to it)
Do I judge? Yes I do. I mostly try to analyse what the opposition are doing compared to what we are doing. Seeing even the poor clubs slice us up with basic structures does my head in. I am critical of lack of effort or intensity. Was hardly ever disappointed in 1998-2000 because at least the players tried their best.
I have never emailed the club because I know that it would be wasted time and effort. I have contacted the club regarding membership issues in the past but not football. I'm sure that they all know anyhow that even clubs like Carlton can have their players man up. Don't need me telling them the bleeding obvious.
I fear that the changes required will not happen because of the boys club culture.
I fear that we will waste a generation of good players because of pig headedness.

I posted about losing interest after the port loss. I NEVER EVER thought that I would get to that point. But something doesn't feel right about the situation that we're in at the moment. We have progressively gone backwards and I don't have the faith or belief that the coaching panel that has been in charge during these horrendous few years, are the same ones who will get us back up the ladder.

I love the club as much as most others. I consider myself a diehard supporter.
But I am more dissallutioned than ever before. Hopefully things change others I'll regret renewing my club 5 membership.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Medieval wrote:
Medieval wrote:
1. I am a Legends Member and go to every game in Vic and have for the last 12 years (except for a month last year when I was overses).

2. I am there to appreciate AND to judge. Not based on little inside knowledge, more based on what I see out on the field. Things like shepherds, running, effort are expected and should be part of any player's performace in any game, no matter the scale. Losing is not preferrable, but is somewhat acceptable if you have given absolutely everything you can and are simply beaten by a better team on the day.

3. I have many gripes with the club at the moment, although most would not align with popular opinion. I don't write to the club to complain and I rarely post complaints on Nick's. The correlation between those two things is that regardles of whether I wrote to the club or complained on Nick's, nothing would change and so it shouldn't.

I constantly hear people complaining about Buckley's gameplan and it's become ridiculous. People say he has no discernable gameplan, but does any coach?
Someone please explain to me in detail, what is Don Pyke's gameplan? What is Alan Richardson's? What is any AFL coach's gameplan? I'm assuming the end result is to win, but the in between is semantics and if a gameplan was that easily identifiable by the fans in the stands or watching on tv, it wouldn't work well for very long, would it?

Anyway... back to watching the win against Geelong from a few weeks ago... for the 8th time.

After watching this year's games I have discerned the ten commandments which are the foundation of the current Pies gameplan:-

1. Thou shalt fumble;
10. Thou shalt only kick to space in front of a tall forward if thou is unable to kick to the opposition.

11. Thou shalt hold up play after a mark and allow all oppsition players ample time to implement their defensive structures.

13. Thou shalt always shut down that external noise and stay focused on those variables thou can control

(Buckley 23:41-42)

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Medieval wrote:
Medieval wrote:

1. Thou shalt fumble;

13. Thou shalt always shut down that external noise and stay focused on those variables thou can control

You forgot this one

14. Thou will always deny any personal responsibility

(we were nutted at the _ _ _ _ (type deflected responsibility area here!))
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm

The_Staunton wrote:

Oh! I got one:
15. Thou shalt slam down the phone when we get opened up line sardines

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:42 pm

I have barracked and loved the Woods, for over fifty long years, thru thick, the two flags, and thin, times like now, 1976 and 1999, and I have stuck fat. I don't need a questionnaire to gauge my loyalty to the cause of the Mighty Pies.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Go to games in Perth & get over to Melbourne for 1 or 2 a year. Went to GFs in; '01, '02 & the draw in '10 (yep, missed the replay Sad )
Going to the game against GWS in Sydney after I run the GC marathon next month (Social Club member since '98 ).

Was shattered when Swanny went down in round 1 and the loss of our core group through injury has been hard to stomach.

Excited about our future Smile

Last edited by Skids on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:53 pm

thou shalt not pick Blair and Toovey ever again plus a 3 big dinosaur team!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

You forgot this one

14. Thou will always deny any personal responsibility

(we were nutted at the _ _ _ _ (type deflected responsibility area here!))

So in thread about fairweather supporters, that's the best you can do? Rolling Eyes

Hurricane 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm a legends member and go to every game in Melbourne. I have to say it's a total chore at the moment, I'm not enjoying it at all. It was freezing yesterday, I have to start questioning why I don't just watch it in the warmth of my home. It's not enjoyable, yet i stay til the end. I'm considering missing the next game but I kind of feel guilty if I don't go, even though it's such a miserable experience. I'm numb not even caring, but still there.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:29 pm

1. do you go to games?

From 1998-2015, would have been lucky to have missed 35-50 games in that time. Been interstate to see us play too. Now living overseas, I obviously haven't been to a game this year although am still a legends member. (2004 was the hardest year to attend. 05 was tough too, but better than 04).

2. are you there to appreciate or judge based on little inside knowledge whether we win or lose?

I go to see the club win. Obviously that cannot happen every week, and in years like 04-05, you don't go expecting a win most weeks. 2016 has now become a year where I wont be expecting a win. 2011 was the best year to attend matches, funnily enough the two games I couldn't attend that year were the two Geelong games, but I went to the GF.

The best supporters in the world are still going to make judgments on the playing/coaching group when things are not going well. Its how we express them where we all differ.

3. If you do have a gripe with the club, do you write to the club and offer your constructive criticism or do you whinge on sites like this?

Apart from writing to the players when I was in primary school, I have never written to the club. I don't know if I "whinge" (you might need to do a search), but I've posted on here for years with opinions, ideas, feelings, etc. Oh and the odd poll too. Very Happy

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 pm

1. do you go to games?

Yes, I am only a home game reserved seat member. As a shift worker I do my best to go to the 11 games every year. More if finals are involved.

2. are you there to appreciate or judge based on little inside knowledge whether we win or lose?

I do both unfortunately, love my footy. Definitely hard this year though as I was quite bullish about our prospects. Round 1 put that to bed, not just the result but losing Swanny and the list continued.

3. If you do have a gripe with the club, do you write to the club and offer your constructive criticism or do you whinge on sites like this?

I have only emailed the club once about footy, under Mick's reign along time ago. I was very frustrated, the funny thing was all of my requests for players to play did so shortly after and I could then see why they weren't.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm a social club member who spent a month in Queensland last month so missed a bit of footy. Otherwise I go to every Collingwood game I can get to apart from interstate games.
I have written letters to Mick Malthouse. Did not get one reply. I have spoken to Nathan Buckley. He is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I love Neil Balme as well and happy to have him back at the club. As others have said, I have never warmed to Walsh and was happy to see his back when he left.
Being invested as a member of the club, in my view entitles me to express an opinion on what I believe is wrong with the club. I am not an apologist for the club which a few people here are, so I will just say what I think without slagging off at the club and will credit the club where I think it is warranted and criticize the club when I think it is warranted.
As I have stated in another post, we are where we are at our current position, because that's where we deserve to be. If we are to climb back up the ladder, we need to alter our current strategy. Our current ladder position tells us that and blaming the misfortune of state of injuries is shifting the blame away from what we are doing wrong. The fact that we played five experienced senior players in our VFL side on the weekend, while fielding such an inexperienced side against against Melbourne, is an indictment that the current strategy is not working. I think Buckley is great at some things (tactics, role model, training programs) and poor at other things (overall team strategy, team selection and relations with some of the senior players in the team). How this all translates onto the field is that we win some games with inspired football, then lose games we should win. In other words, we win the battles but lose the war.
Whatever happens, even if we don't win another game for the season, I will still renew my membership for next year. So I think that qualifies me as anything other than a fair weather supporter.
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 pm

Skids wrote:
Go to games in Perth & get over to Melbourne for 1 or 2 a year. Went to GFs in; '01, '02 & the draw in '10 (yep, missed the replay Sad )
Going to the game against GWS in Sydney after I run the GC marathon next month (Social Club member since '9Cool.

Was shattered when Swanny went down in round 1 and the loss of our core group through injury has been hard to stomach.

Excited about our future Smile

As apart of the Club 5 Membership did you renew for the next 5 years?

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: