Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Shooting in gay nightclub in Florida kills 50

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One Reason I not a Fan of Religon
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:42 pm

David wrote:
This is a fair twist. But in a way, it makes a lot of sense:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-orlando-nightclub-shooter-visited-222620444.html

Why does it make sense? He was mad at himself for being gay?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Yep. Self-hatred and repressed sexuality are a pretty bad combination.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:47 pm

^

Sort of. Strong religious background which included being anti gay, probably more than just mad at himself, probably some self loathing going on inside that mixed up head.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Gees add it all together and this guy was a time bomb, hey, yeah man lets give him a job with a gun!

Tragic.

Just a shame he chose to take people with him.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 pm

I watched a lot of the coverage of this incredible tragedy on FOX news and had to stop because I would have ended up throwing a bloody brick through my own TV. Not ONE spokesperson had the intelligence/thought or guts/balls to call out the huge elephant in the room - gun laws. Fair dinkum, some of these so called right wingers have arse hair for brains, but only if they are really lucky... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:33 pm

gun laws will stop law abiding citizens having them, but criminals will still get them. just like in Australia. dont get me wrong, our gun laws are brilliant. but should go further.

a lot of americans are nutty as a fruit cake when it comes to their guns. i havew one friend who is a real hill billy on the subject!! but the no guns movement seems to be making ground. hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Lazza wrote:
I watched a lot of the coverage of this incredible tragedy on FOX news and had to stop because I would have ended up throwing a bloody brick through my own TV. Not ONE spokesperson had the intelligence/thought or guts/balls to call out the huge elephant in the room - gun laws. Fair dinkum, some of these so called right wingers have arse hair for brains, but only if they are really lucky... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Are you kidding, every leftard idiot screamed gun laws the second they stopped speculating about the shooter being a white christian and it was confirmed that another Muslim had massacred the defenseless.

Not every Nazi killed people, in fact 99% of Nazis never hurt anyone and only wanted to live peaceful lives. We still crushed that evil ideology into the dirt. Islam deserves no different. It's an Ideology, not a race or some kind of vulnerable minority. The only issue here is ISLAM, its hatred of the west and western values; in particular homosexuality.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Islam is an issue, no doubt, but not every Muslim is a screaming nutjob.

The availability of guns in the US is also an undeniable issue, one that won't be fixed any time soon as the weapons manufacturers and the NRA are powerful lobby groups with plenty of politicians in their pocket. (straight from the mouths of more than one US citizen)

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
Not every Nazi killed people, in fact 99% of Nazis never hurt anyone and only wanted to live peaceful lives. We still crushed that evil ideology into the dirt. Islam deserves no different. It's an Ideology, not a race or some kind of vulnerable minority. The only issue here is ISLAM, its hatred of the west and western values; in particular homosexuality.

There are plenty of gay nightclubs in Indonesian and they are the worlds biggest Islam nation. The problem is not Islam but the backward teachings of it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Wokko wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Are you kidding, every leftard idiot screamed gun laws the second they stopped speculating about the shooter being a white christian and it was confirmed that another Muslim had massacred the defenseless.

And how do you propose 'crushing' a religion followed by 1 Billion people? Strap on our crusader gear and march into the Middle East again? The communists made a fair attempt at crushing Christianity in Eastern Europe, and look how well that's working out in Russia right now.

What might work is crushing the extreme Wahhabist ideology that ISIS extremists follow. But for that to occur, we need mainstream Muslims to be leading that attack, and as everybody from conservatives like David Cameron and Malcolm Turnbull to 'lefties' like Waleed Aly constantly point out, alienating them by saying shit like "we need to stamp out Islam" is precisely the last thing we should be doing.

People screamed about gun laws when that white supremacist shot up the church in Charleston, and also when every other unhappy white male decided to end his life with a shooting spree. It's because the common denominator in all these attacks, this one included, is guns. Last time I checked security guards don't have semi-automatics here in Australia.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:36 pm

You didn't check very hard, Security guards here are eligible of a category H license, Semi automatic handguns. When Dylann Roof shot up the church I heard a hell of a lot about racism and the Confederate Flag to go along with the gun control agenda.

We've managed to alienate and atrophy quite a lot of undesirable ideologies in the West over the last 100 years or so from Anarchism to Nazism, Communism, Religiosity in general (Islam and mystic Asians exempted) and Nationalism in general. Apart from the two existential culture wars of WW2 and the Cold War these changes have been driven by social distaste more than force of arms.

Like I've said the common denominator in terrorist attacks isn't guns, it's Islam. 9/11 - Airplanes/Box Cutters. London - Explosives. Paris - Firearms well outside what is legal in that country. Spain - Explosives. Israel - Bladed weapons/explosives. Stop using terrorism to push the gun control agenda. There are countries with very lax gun control laws and very few issues with law abiding gun owners. Czech Republic is the most notable and Australia back in 80's and before was quite open too. Stop being so worried about the feelings of 'moderate Muslims' and face the very real danger of a War, because that's what is being planned and fought against our way of life right now. Sweden is on the edge, so is Germany. Lets stop the rot now, especially if you want to hold on to your precious progressive liberal values. Values you're leaving to Right Wing Nut Jobs to defend.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 pm

And I really seem to have to say this. Again.

The Crusades were a defensive war to recapture lands taken FROM Christians and Jews by Muslims. Lands taken by conquest and migration. Lets hope we don't need another $£$%^%%$ Crusade to take back Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Crusade
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm

Wokko wrote:
You didn't check very hard, Security guards here are eligible of a category H license, Semi automatic handguns. When Dylann Roof shot up the church I heard a hell of a lot about racism and the Confederate Flag to go along with the gun control agenda.

Exactly, and plenty of people are talking about this guy's claimed associations with ISIS along with gun control and LGBT issues. With attacks like these, you have both a motivation that needs to be dealt with and a weapon that turns that motivation into a mass tragedy. It's not 'just guns' or 'just Islam' (or 'just homophobia', for that matter); Any serious person should be willing to discuss both or all aspects of the issue.

Wokko wrote:
We've managed to alienate and atrophy quite a lot of undesirable ideologies in the West over the last 100 years or so from Anarchism to Nazism, Communism, Religiosity in general (Islam and mystic Asians exempted) and Nationalism in general. Apart from the two existential culture wars of WW2 and the Cold War these changes have been driven by social distaste more than force of arms.

Like I've said the common denominator in terrorist attacks isn't guns, it's Islam. 9/11 - Airplanes/Box Cutters. London - Explosives. Paris - Firearms well outside what is legal in that country. Spain - Explosives. Israel - Bladed weapons/explosives. Stop using terrorism to push the gun control agenda.

But this is why we have our obsessive airport security policies – it's another way of addressing the means, not the motivation. It's also why I'd be in deep trouble if the cops caught me making my own home explosives for a laugh. We're not allowed to take box cutters onto the plane for this exact reason. Addressing the means like that is what we do with every social problem.

And as it happens, your statement only holds true if we consider one kind of terrorism (i.e. that which is motivated by Islamism). What Breivik and Roof did, for instance, could be described as terrorism. What US drones do has exactly the same impact as a terrorist attack.

Wokko wrote:
There are countries with very lax gun control laws and very few issues with law abiding gun owners. Czech Republic is the most notable and Australia back in 80's and before was quite open too. Stop being so worried about the feelings of 'moderate Muslims' and face the very real danger of a War, because that's what is being planned and fought against our way of life right now. Sweden is on the edge, so is Germany. Lets stop the rot now, especially if you want to hold on to your precious progressive liberal values. Values you're leaving to Right Wing Nut Jobs to defend.

When you're talking about treating 1 billion people as pariahs who can't even enter the country, you're doing a lot more than just 'hurting feelings'. You're calling for global apartheid. And who, might I ask, are those many Muslims putting their lives on the line to fight ISIS right now in Iraq and Syria? Are they 'fighting against our way of life' too?

npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Wokko, according to Wikipedia, there are about 500,000 muslims in Australia. Islam seems to be fairly well entrenched.
How exactly would you propose we stamp out Islam here in Australia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: