Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Women's Competition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 am
Post subject: Women's CompetitionReply with quote

"Geelong and Richmond have missed out on inaugural AFL women's team licences, while Collingwood and Carlton, along with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, are understood to be celebrating their successful bids in an inaugural eight-team competition. "

Officially to be announced at 11.00am - Sam Lane - The Age.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am
Post subject: Re: Women's CompetitionReply with quote

robevpau1 wrote:
"Geelong and Richmond have missed out on inaugural AFL women's team licences, while Collingwood and Carlton, along with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, are understood to be celebrating their successful bids in an inaugural eight-team competition. "

I cannot get excited about this.
I really don't see the point of us going out and getting other teams, or teams in other codes or whatever.
Has it a social and cultural benefit??? ...... a little.
A marketing benefit.????/.. I suspect not
Will it make our Club stronger???? probably not, if a scandal of any sort happens it will just distract from the main goal.
Will it be a drain on our finances ...probably
It is the perpetual dilemma, diversify or concentrate on core business.
The great capitalist conundrum..

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am

thompsoc wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:

I really don't see the point of us going out and getting other teams, or teams in other codes or whatever.
Will it make our Club stronger???? probably not, if a scandal of any sort happens it will just distract from the main goal.

I presume it is so the Club will continue to remain solvent, even raise revenue, when its primary product is not doing so well in business terms.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:37 am

robevpau1 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:

I presume it is so the Club will continue to remain solvent, even raise revenue, when its primary product is not doing so well in business terms.

I assume that the Club sees it as an overall benefit to it's interest both financial and marketing wise.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The women's competition is probably the no.1 driver for short and medium term growth in the game.

The AFL have chosen the model to use the existing clubs as a structure which seems sound.
I hope we maximise the opportunity and do it really well rather than focusing on the ways to avoid the luxury tax.

The netball venture is less of a natural fit being so far from core business, and we are growing very quickly given the Tennant Creek and Oakleigh investment requirements.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
The women's competition is probably the no.1 driver for short and medium term growth in the game.

The AFL have chosen the model to use the existing clubs as a structure which seems sound.
I hope we maximise the opportunity and do it really well rather than focusing on the ways to avoid the luxury tax.

The netball venture is less of a natural fit being so far from core business, and we are growing very quickly given the Tennant Creek and Oakleigh investment requirements.

I hope you are right on this CC.
The idea of hiding footy expenses in the women's team has great merit.
But I suspect that the AFL would be watching closely

mattys123 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 am

We beat Richmond out for a team, that's worth it alone. Laughing
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:40 pm

The women's competition seems to me to be an expansion of the game for much the same reason as GWS and GCS were created. There is no current market for the product, but build it and they will come as if we don't build it we will lose out to other sports in the long run.

In time the women's competition may become financially viable and lead to an increase in participation in the game. I have seen comments along the lines of it being great that women will be able to make a living from the game but I wonder how that is possible. I haven't seen any financial projections or budgets but assume that there will be many years of deficits before the women's game even comes close to paying for itself.

Will the competition be funded by newly generated revenue or will it be funded by diverting funds from the existing AFL budget? I can guess the answer to that, which then leads to the problem of the AFLPA indicating that it wants the female members to join it. In a landscape where the AFLPA is embarking upon upon a new round of pay negotiations with the AFL, this is a blatant conflict of interest for the AFLPA. Either different rules apply in the AFL to the real world or the players are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I wish the womens team all the best

But my primary reason for supporting Collingwood is the mens AFL team

Be it netball, womens league, the rebirth of the Collingwood Warriors, I don't feel the "one club" thing...

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Cloke may finally get a game in the Seniors.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 pm

I think many posters are missing the bigger picture here.
Firstly I would had been appalled had our club not thrown its hat in the ring to field a ladies team. They are 50% of the population and with female sports being given more air time on both free to air and pay TV as well as other sports having a larger emphasis on female elite sports it seems a no brainer really.
I'm sure all our current sponsors and any new ones wold be delighted the club has diversified into female sports. It also offers up the opportunity for the club to attract more secondary sponsorship dollars into our coffers.
I'm unsure on how fixturing will be done but there could be a female game played prior to either a VFL or AFL game adding to the value for dollar of any entrance or membership fee paid.
I would assume we will be offering members the chance to view all female AFL fixtures and netball fixtures as part of there existing membership costs.
As for the overall expense of operating these 2 female teams I'm sure the club has looked at it as a long term investment. I'm willing to bet as part of the next round of broadcast money that comes into effect from 2018 onwards the AFL will be funding a large chunk of operating costs or offering other benefits to the clubs who field teams.
I'm happy our club has taken the opportunity to further enhance the brand and this may attract more members and sponsors again strenthgening our brand
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:36 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Firstly I would had been appalled had our club not thrown its hat in the ring to field a ladies team. They are 50% of the population and with female sports being given more air time on both free to air and pay TV as well as other sports having a larger emphasis on female elite sports it seems a no brainer really.
I'm sure all our current sponsors and any new ones wold be delighted the club has diversified into female sports. It also offers up the opportunity for the club to attract more secondary sponsorship dollars into our coffers.
I'm unsure on how fixturing will be done but there could be a female game played prior to either a VFL or AFL game adding to the value for dollar of any entrance or membership fee paid.
I would assume we will be offering members the chance to view all female AFL fixtures and netball fixtures as part of there existing membership costs.
As for the overall expense of operating these 2 female teams I'm sure the club has looked at it as a long term investment. I'm willing to bet as part of the next round of broadcast money that comes into effect from 2018 onwards the AFL will be funding a large chunk of operating costs or offering other benefits to the clubs who field teams.
I'm happy our club has taken the opportunity to further enhance the brand and this may attract more members and sponsors again strenthgening our brand

That gets back to my point about where the money is going to come from. Will there really be more paid by broadcasters for women's games? Will broadcasters even want to broadcast them? It's very unlikely they will be played before AFL games, and shown on free to air TV, as there is just no room for that. They could be played and telecast as curtain raisers to VFL matches but I see problems with the revenue split for such a game, in terms of gate attendances. At best the women's game could hope for pay TV broadcasts but the value for that would be minimal.

Simply saying that the AFL will be funding a large chunk of the operating costs is another way of saying that the game will run at a loss. It is the clubs money that the AFL is spending.The AFL cannot keep funding bad business deals. There has to be stand alone financial viability at some stage, whether that be expansion clubs or a women's league.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:01 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I would assume we will be offering members the chance to view all female AFL fixtures and netball fixtures as part of there existing membership
costs.

That gets back to my point about where the money is going to come from. Will there really be more paid by broadcasters for women's games? Will broadcasters even want to broadcast them? It's very unlikely they will be played before AFL games, and shown on free to air TV, as there is just no room for that. They could be played and telecast as curtain raisers to VFL matches but I see problems with the revenue split for such a game, in terms of gate attendances. At best the women's game could hope for pay TV broadcasts but the value for that would be minimal.

Simply saying that the AFL will be funding a large chunk of the operating costs is another way of saying that the game will run at a loss. It is the clubs money that the AFL is spending.The AFL cannot keep funding bad business deals. There has to be stand alone financial viability at some stage, whether that be expansion clubs or a women's league.

the broadcast money may need to come via the taxpayers through direct government sponsorship.
Would be funny if after a few years the women's team demand equal pay.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

The Collingwood Football Club and more broadly the AFL are Australian Public Companies limited by guarantee. They are not-for profit organisations. Monies earned have to flow back into the activity of the organisations and both have a responsibility to promote and develop the game. How is establishing a women's team and in the case of the AFL a competition in any way contrary to these requirements. Just what are the negatives? As others have stated just over 50% of the population are women, why not do the utmost to engage that demographic? The AFL and the networks have already shown a willingness to broadcast some women's footy games, why would that change?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Exactly Jack, this is bigger than just a ladies afl team or netball team. This is society driven change in the sporting landscape. Look at cricket in the big bash soccer as well. Changes have been afoot for a long time and government will reward handsomely any sport that gives females the opportunity to participate on as equal footing as men. Yes the pay scales will be different but it won't be long before the best female athletes are having to choose a sporting career path based on future earning potential (think Elise Perry) I'm all for it why not be part of the advancement of female sporting endeavours as a club. I'm sure there will be many sponsors coming out of the wood work looking to associate themselves with progressive clubs like ours. Remember woman spend as much or more than men in the market place and I'm sure many retailers and companies would like to be associated with such a club
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: