Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has De Goey been playing injured?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:54 am
Post subject: Has De Goey been playing injured?Reply with quote

In the pre-season NAB games De Goey was playing manic, full on footy, throwing his body into packs and extracting the ball for others with pace and skill. I recall Bucks saying something to the effect that De Goey demands to be played on the ball. I expected him to become a star for us this season. During the season proper, however, he has been disappointing, and has spent a lot of time playing in that no-man's position of HFF. Some may put his average form down to 2nd yr blues, but I suspect there's another explanation. I remember someone posting earlier in the season that De Goey was getting fluid drained from his knee after each game. I don't know the veracity of this claim, but even if partially true, it would help explain his sub par performances. I reckon this kid is a beauty and will be an absolute star and a physical force for us as a powerful midfielder in a couple of years, but right now I strongly suspect, he is playing injured, which is seriously impeding his performances. I just wondered if any of my fellow Nicksters have any info.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder about if a of his or her fellow Nicksters have a info too.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Interestingly, his stats (except in respect of his goal-kicking, which is reasonably awful) and games played are very similar to Isaac Heeney's. I was surprised by that when I looked, because the sense I have had is that Heeney is on the cusp of becoming a star. Maybe the difference is just that Heeney is playing in a reasonably competent team, so that we could expect De Goey to improve as the team does? Alternatively, of course, Heeney might just be a much better player. I suppose it's possible JDG has been playing injured but it wouldn't make much sense to be putting his career at risk in that way at this early stage - he's hardly indispensable on his present form and we do have other potentially serviceable midfielders in the VFL (even now, with all the other injuries).
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Probably a sore and tired 2nd year player...

Clearly needs a rest but injuries maybe preventing his demotion.

Aish could come in for him but I think the club want him to really build some consistent dominant VFL form before he returns to AFL.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Interestingly, his stats (except in respect of his goal-kicking, which is reasonably awful) and games played are very similar to Isaac Heeney's. I was surprised by that when I looked, because the sense I have had is that Heeney is on the cusp of becoming a star. Maybe the difference is just that Heeney is playing in a reasonably competent team, so that we could expect De Goey to improve as the team does? Alternatively, of course, Heeney might just be a much better player. I suppose it's possible JDG has been playing injured but it wouldn't make much sense to be putting his career at risk in that way at this early stage - he's hardly indispensable on his present form and we do have other potentially serviceable midfielders in the VFL (even now, with all the other injuries).

Ball use and impact on the game aren't always shown up in the "stats".

Before it gets said: DE/KE is not a reflection on difficulty of kick, did the kick open up the game? or was it a sideways crab kick/safe kick which halted play etc

Heeneys marking abilirty is superior atm, he bust open tackles, kicks to advantage (something Degoey needs to learn asap), tackles hard and hits contests with menace ect.

Don't get me wrong I think in the long run Degoey will be a very good player but right now a comparison with Heeney is fools gold.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:10 pm

I haven't made up my mind about JDG and won't probably for a few years.
But I have 2 main concerns;
1. He fumbles
For draft pick 5 or whatever i find this disturbing.
2. His kicking on the run seems below par but his set shots seem good.
Again, I thought his kicking was better after reading the spin before he was drafted. But watching the last 2 years has also made me wary of this hype.
He is not a good kick on the run.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I don't particularly disagree with any of that. I mentioned the comparison, rather, because I was surprised that JDG gets about as much of the ball as Heeney, given the difference in their respective impacts on games, at this stage.
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:34 pm

Is he playing injured? He may well be. We know that many players do continue to play with 'niggles'. And in most cases it affects their performance but not enough to justify dropping them or giving them some weeks off to recover. Especially if its an injury that won't recover with rest alone i.e. if some surgery is required.

The clubs for various reasons don't share this information with the media or with supporters. I guess we'll know whether JDG is playing with a knee injury if he has some surgery at the end of the year.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:29 pm

DeGoey has IMO been a victim of a team who's performances have been up & down (mostly down) his performances seem to mirror this. He's playing out of position due to injuries I'm sure if Swanny was available he would be playing that HFF
Also if he has been playing injured I think it by circumstance due to the massive injury list already
His number are still ok but there's certain aspects of his game that need improvement
I'm prepared to give the kid a break and revisit this in 300 games,m3 premierships and 2 brownlows
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 pm

He lined up on the wing for a fair bit of Sunday. What I did notice is he is huge. His legs are as thick as a seasoned bull. I'd put down his up and down form to growing into his body and the general club turmoil.

Can't question his heart or general talent. I love him and don't find comparisons to Heeney useful.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
DeGoey has IMO been a victim of a team who's performances have been up & down (mostly down) his performances seem to mirror this. He's playing out of position due to injuries I'm sure if Swanny was available he would be playing that HFF
Also if he has been playing injured I think it by circumstance due to the massive injury list already
His number are still ok but there's certain aspects of his game that need improvement
I'm prepared to give the kid a break and revisit this in 300 games,m3 premierships and 2 brownlows

You make it sound as though De Goey is a neutral observer in the performance of the team. The performance of De Goey impacts the performance of the team. If De Goey doesn't cover the ground of his opponent the opposition get numbers on the ball resulting in easy goals. Wasn't pretty watching Smith, Ried and Sinclair try to cover the defensive space near our goals defending against several Port players streaming down the ground unattended. That was a direct consequence of players like De Goey failing to run back to cover their opponents. The only mitigating factor in De Goey's performance was that he had a few teammates doing the same thing he was.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:47 pm

he seems to have lost a lot of weight this season.

when we drafted him his eyes were basically fused shut. lol
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:20 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

You make it sound as though De Goey is a neutral observer in the performance of the team. The performance of De Goey impacts the performance of the team. If De Goey doesn't cover the ground of his opponent the opposition get numbers on the ball resulting in easy goals. Wasn't pretty watching Smith, Ried and Sinclair try to cover the defensive space near our goals defending against several Port players streaming down the ground unattended. That was a direct consequence of players like De Goey failing to run back to cover their opponents. The only mitigating factor in De Goey's performance was that he had a few teammates doing the same thing he was.

Exactly, yet it's the defences fault we leak coast to coast goals... apparently!
matrix10 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:21 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I haven't made up my mind about JDG and won't probably for a few years.
But I have 2 main concerns;
1. He fumbles
For draft pick 5 or whatever i find this disturbing.
2. His kicking on the run seems below par but his set shots seem good.
Again, I thought his kicking was better after reading the spin before he was drafted. But watching the last 2 years has also made me wary of this hype.
He is not a good kick on the run.

agreed- also agree with lack of defensive run- I think he was on neede (?) for a chunk of the game.

No point comparing with heeney- Heeeney is strictly a forward- and generally doesnt go past the half forward line.

JDG plays defensive forward at times, but also spends a chunk of time through the midfield.

His pre-season form looked like he was on the verge of a massive year.

A couple of weeks in the 2s would likely do him good- yet no chance with injuries the way they are.

Have faith- he will come good (just as our team will Shocked )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: