Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lowest crowd since 1999.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
Anyone else notice the Collingwood Football Club does not mention Membership numbers these days? Memberships are down along with attendance and reality its easy to understand. This is what happens when your season starts crap and doesn't get any better. We have not had this experience for a long time. We can point the finger at who is to blame and in saying that we are simply having a shocker of a season. The days of the old die hard supporter are long gone and those days are long gone. The reality is people have so many options these days and unfortunately football takes a back seat, especially if your team is losing week in and week out and struggling.

Correct weight that last bit, and especially when it comes to options on how to spend your money...

There's not a lot to rally around at the moment, so people aren't going...

I can't imagine the next generation of supporters turning up en masse to "support the boys" if we're, say, 4-14...

Just not going to happen

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
You argue constantly for the removal of Buckley and Eddie and probably the whole administration thompsoc and yet, when confronted with facts to debunk your arguments, you dismiss the facts as rubbish. Hard to hold a rational argument with you on that basis.

I think even a cursory glance at the historical record, reveals that the banks were within days of pulling the plug. You may care to dismiss this but, they are the facts as reported by multiple sources. I suspect even Caro, the perennial whipping girl at Nick's, reported this fact on more than one occasion. But feel free to cloke yourself in myths of your own making.

Damn straight they were, the Banks, in 1986, we were skint, came within one hour of declaring us insolvent, according to then President Alan Mcallistar. We had to tin rattle and send in cash to save the club, we had a telethon, I recall I phoned up and gave ten dollars. You are absolutely correct Neil.

ahhhhh Neil talked about 1998 not 1986.
Speck savers please.
But even in 1986 no rattling of the cans came out in any serious way.

Yes smarty pants, I know he was referring to the other year, but that too was very dicey, we were in terrible financial strife, you cant change history, as for 86, there was tin rattling, it was pretty damn bad, and I do recall that Telethon, it was called the Magpie Winter Offensive, and I spoke to Jamie turner when I phoned up, things were dire, that's a historical fact ol son. Surprised

Yep, still was a member back then and we all got a letter asking us to contribute... tin rattling by any other name really...
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
You argue constantly for the removal of Buckley and Eddie and probably the whole administration thompsoc and yet, when confronted with facts to debunk your arguments, you dismiss the facts as rubbish. Hard to hold a rational argument with you on that basis.

I think even a cursory glance at the historical record, reveals that the banks were within days of pulling the plug. You may care to dismiss this but, they are the facts as reported by multiple sources. I suspect even Caro, the perennial whipping girl at Nick's, reported this fact on more than one occasion. But feel free to cloke yourself in myths of your own making.

Damn straight they were, the Banks, in 1986, we were skint, came within one hour of declaring us insolvent, according to then President Alan Mcallistar. We had to tin rattle and send in cash to save the club, we had a telethon, I recall I phoned up and gave ten dollars. You are absolutely correct Neil.

ahhhhh Neil talked about 1998 not 1986.
Speck savers please.
But even in 1986 no rattling of the cans came out in any serious way.

Yes smarty pants, I know he was referring to the other year, but that too was very dicey, we were in terrible financial strife, you cant change history, as for 86, there was tin rattling, it was pretty damn bad, and I do recall that Telethon, it was called the Magpie Winter Offensive, and I spoke to Jamie turner when I phoned up, things were dire, that's a historical fact ol son. Surprised

Yep, still was a member back then and we all got a letter asking us to contribute... tin rattling by any other name really...

tin rattling by any other name is not tin rattling.
There was no big meeting of the members and supporters, no real talk of amalgamations or relocations.
No great media frenzy that we were about to fold!!!
Nothing except a couple of polite letters asking for contributions.
Do you think in those days that the VFL and AFL would had let us fold!
Hey, there were probably dozens of Geoffrey Ed and Leannes out there ready to buy the club.
Hey, we even put on some charity matches to keep Fitzroy in Melbourne.
I reckon even the scum would have pitched in for us.
Here we have the lollipop brigade claiming doom and gloom with the past.
It really is laughable that the great Club had any chance of folding.
Sure we had no money but we had plenty of tricks in the medical kit.
And we hardly used any of them.
The idea that we were on the brink of extinction is absolutely wrong whether in the 80's or 90's.
So here we have 2 prized Nicksters and lollipop members at that, peddling
myths.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 am

Those who were members then, and I was, were called upon to contribute at least 20 dollars as part of the constitution that no one really new about. We were given a non reedemable bond written with the amount written in texta. There was nothing polite about it at all.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:38 am

Oh and we lost Richardson and Raines. The bank was going to wind us up but were concerned about backlash from customers and shareholders.
JamesJ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 am

The VFL was run by Jack Hamilton and the state by John Cain. Two staunch Collingwood men.

They were never close to being wound up.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 am

ronrat wrote:
Oh and we lost Richardson and Raines. The bank was going to wind us up but were concerned about backlash from customers and shareholders.

The Banks was just a side issue but the point about the customers was valid
In the end it was all about politics.
There was the VFL/AFL
There was the Government
There was all the supporters and members
There was all the other clubs who could not imagine a competition without the arch enemy. This rivalry was worth big dollars to them.
There was the TV rights which was huge in the late 90's and not so much in the 80's.
It all ended up with a small fund raising stint from some members and that is all.

Last edited by thompsoc on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:52 am

JamesJ wrote:
The VFL was run by Jack Hamilton and the state by John Cain. Two staunch Collingwood men.

Valid point

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:37 am

JamesJ wrote:

So they were planning on doing a Gandolf "you shall not pass" to the receivers as they waltzed through the front door or just dig into their very deep pockets and pay the bills. People will see it any way they want but reports of being within hours of being declared bankrupt isn't a myth, its a fact, members being asked to tip in a 1 off additional cash contribution in some pseudo tin rattling exercise isn't a myth, it's a fact.

We all know that we got through it but don't kid yourself that there was never a chance of extinction. Banks aren't renowned for being charities.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:46 am

jackcass wrote:
JamesJ wrote:

So they were planning on doing a Gandolf "you shall not pass" to the receivers as they waltzed through the front door or just dig into their very deep pockets and pay the bills. People will see it any way they want but reports of being within hours of being declared bankrupt isn't a myth, its a fact, members being asked to tip in a 1 off additional cash contribution in some pseudo tin rattling exercise isn't a myth, it's a fact.

We all know that we got through it but don't kid yourself that there was never a chance of extinction. Banks aren't renowned for being charities.

Very strange that you are responding to my posts Jackcass.
You keep boasting that you have me on ignore.
That really suits me very well because I can respond to your mostly silly posts and then expect no response back, but the general punter will get the drift and be more informed. If and when you respond back, it means I have to go back again to correct your illogical post. Which just means I waste more time.
Please please keep me on ignore and don't sneak a view and don't respond!

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:52 am

jackcass wrote:
JamesJ wrote:

There was zero chance of extinction, get a grip.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:04 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
jackcass wrote:
JamesJ wrote:

There was zero chance of extinction, get a grip.

Haven't you heard the news CC?
Jackcass is never wrong!
At least never in his own head!

JamesJ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 pm

I read a chapter in Gary Linnell's 'Football Ltd' on our woes in 1986. The best football book there is.

At no time were Collingwood not part of the VFL's plans to centralise the new football commission. They were one of the clubs that underpinned it according to the book.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:48 pm

JamesJ wrote:
I read a chapter in Gary Linnell's 'Football Ltd' on our woes in 1986. The best football book there is.

At no time were Collingwood not part of the VFL's plans to centralise the new football commission. They were one of the clubs that underpinned it according to the book.

Exactly.
The VFL could have bailed us out if the need arose.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
Membership is already down by 15 percent from last year.

Can you imagine the drop off again at the end of the year?

Supporters and members are voting with their feet.

I voted with mine as soon as Buckley took over mate, LOL!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: