Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Losing Interest?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
makri wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
My fondest memory of waverley park was the day mick mcguane kicked goal of the year against the scum.

The nine bounces goal?? This was at the MCG. Last time we played Carlton at Waverly was either round 22/23 in 1992.

MY all time Waverly memory was also v the scum, my sons footy coach was a one eyed blue, so I bet him a six pack on the game. Anyway, we smashed them, but I will never,ever forget Daicos goal from the boundary line, scoreboard end, against tom alvin. Alvin had him fenced in, right on the boundary line, somehow, some how, Daics dodged him a bit, and screwed the ball right around on an impossible angle, it bounced into the square, and bounced right thru, we went nuts, apeshit, it made us 9 goals too 2 at half time, and we coasted home. Very Happy Very Happy

Was this 1990?? We beat them twice out there that year.

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:02 am

Piesnchess wrote:
makri wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
My fondest memory of waverley park was the day mick mcguane kicked goal of the year against the scum.

The nine bounces goal?? This was at the MCG. Last time we played Carlton at Waverly was either round 22/23 in 1992.

MY all time Waverly memory was also v the scum, my sons footy coach was a one eyed blue, so I bet him a six pack on the game. Anyway, we smashed them, but I will never,ever forget Daicos goal from the boundary line, scoreboard end, against tom alvin. Alvin had him fenced in, right on the boundary line, somehow, some how, Daics dodged him a bit, and screwed the ball right around on an impossible angle, it bounced into the square, and bounced right thru, we went nuts, apeshit, it made us 9 goals too 2 at half time, and we coasted home. Very Happy Very Happy

Was this 1990?? We beat them twice out there that year.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 am

Piesnchess wrote:
makri wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

My most memorable moments at Waverley, in descending order:-

4. Watching Victorians taunt a West Coast bus of supporters in the car park after the 91 grand final;

3. Watching Darren Millane and Stephen Da Rui going toe to toe in the centre of the ground exchanging punches to the head then when the ball came near separating as if nothing had happened;

2. Seeing James Manson deck Dipper about 80 metres behind the play (he had it coming to him); and

1. 1990 vs Essendon. I recall that it was a Sunday game and all tickets were pre-sold so the game was telecast live which was unusual in those days. It rained heavily for the whole game. After the game we were in the carpark at the western end, at the bottom of a small hill just near where the donut van always parked. The hill by that stage had turned into sticky mud an inch or two deep. A bloke at the top of the hill yelled out "wait for me" so everyone turned and looked at him. He then tried to run down the hill. Big mistake. He slipped and fell on his first step then came down the hill and through the mud like a snow plow. When he stood up he didn't even look human. He was covered in inches of mud from head to toe. He was given a standing ovation. Would have been a fun trip home for him. I hope he was an Essendon supporter.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:10 pm

I will always love the PIes and will pass away a devoted fan of the Woods, but for me, the game has just lost too much tradition, so that's partly why I have only a three game membership. Things like no Under 19s, no Reserves pre game, just stare at a green oval, with some twit yelling out over the Public address and inane music. Waverley gone, plus setting up these new ridiculous corporate teams like GWS and Gold Coast, one of em should have been established in Tassie, a State that loves its footy, not up on the GC to entertain geriatric white shoe old Victorians living up there. Matthews is right, QLD has no room for the GC, not in a rugby state. Also, how unfair is it if one of these plastic teams wins a flag before Victorian teams like the Dogs, Dees, Saints or even us, after being in the comp for one lousy decade, while other teams have not won a flag in eons of time ?? What if the Giants beat us in a GF, imagine the humiliation of it ??

Yes, I am losing interest, and it has gone on now with me for quite some time, I will always follow the PIes, but the game has declined markedly, and not for the good, far from it actually. sigh.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:41 pm

I've lost interest in losing and boring football. I'll get excited again when we are contending and playing well and winning.

Football is athletically better than it has ever been, but it is also a bit too clinical. That said, that just might be the style that Buckley has engendered at Collingwood. As much as I hate Geelong, players like Steve J made them exciting to watch. Rioli, Puopolo at hawthorn also have a bit of spark.

I miss Daics one handed marks and booming torps.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I will always love the PIes and will pass away a devoted fan of the Woods, but for me, the game has just lost too much tradition, so that's partly why I have only a three game membership. Things like no Under 19s, no Reserves pre game, just stare at a green oval, with some twit yelling out over the Public address and inane music. Waverley gone, plus setting up these new ridiculous corporate teams like GWS and Gold Coast, one of em should have been established in Tassie, a State that loves its footy, not up on the GC to entertain geriatric white shoe old Victorians living up there. Matthews is right, QLD has no room for the GC, not in a rugby state. Also, how unfair is it if one of these plastic teams wins a flag before Victorian teams like the Dogs, Dees, Saints or even us, after being in the comp for one lousy decade, while other teams have not won a flag in eons of time ?? What if the Giants beat us in a GF, imagine the humiliation of it ??

Yes, I am losing interest, and it has gone on now with me for quite some time, I will always follow the PIes, but the game has declined markedly, and not for the good, far from it actually. sigh.

Just how much the game and crowd have changed over the years was embodied in the Richmond game at the G earlier this season. Until the last few minutes it was one of the worst games I have ever seen. Players from both teams would continually break free in the centre and then kick it directly to an unopposed defender. When they weren't doing that both teams went sideways, backwards, any way but forwards. They missed targets so often I began to wonder what the targets actually were. I was in a corporate box with a mixture of Pies and Richmond supporters. We all spent the first half laughing at what we were seeing. Years ago we would have been angry witnessing that, but not now. Fasolo played a great game. He took a mark and went back for a shot at goal. The front windows of the box were open. As Fasolo lined up, a guy in a Pies jumper in the crowd in front of us stood up and yelled "kick it backwards". Both sets of supporters around him started laughing. Richmond had the game won but ultimately found a way to lose and from what I could see their supporters just accepted it. There was no anger. It was only a game. The difference is that years ago it was more than a game (as the song said). If Richmond supporters feel that way the game, and the way it is perceived by supporters, has really changed.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:23 pm

yes, I'm losing interest a bit as well, which would be helped by

1/. winning games

2/. having some obviously talented youngsters to watch them develop.

in terms of point 1, I have seen us lose many premierships over my time, but have also enjoyed us being in the finals more often than not, and therefore enjoyed many 'live' seasons. Not like this year where we are done and dusted half way through like poor old St.Kilda and the like. Even the last few years, we have been in finals contention up until the end.

2/. Not a lot of excitement here - Moore, also interested to see how Cox goes, but the young guys we are giving games to show little signs of becoming A graders

We can't even enjoy the early draft pick this year as we have given it away.

Ended up watching the woman's game on foxtel, whilst we were getting done to a dinner.
JamesJ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:32 pm

With so many other alternatives to sport these days (and other sports) we are looking at a very big drop off in members in the next few years. You just don't pay for the crap we have been dishing out for the last 3 years and the boring gameplan we play.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:50 pm

JamesJ wrote:
With so many other alternatives to sport these days (and other sports) we are looking at a very big drop off in members in the next few years. You just don't pay for the crap we have been dishing out for the last 3 years and the boring gameplan we play.

Just as well Newbie you don't barrack for the dogs, dees, or saints, who have not won a flag in decades, how would you handle that The dogs have not even made a GF since 1961. Rolling Eyes

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:21 pm

I've been losing interest bit by bit since round 1 2012 when in the final quarter against Hawthorn we raised the white flag in the name of our new coach and allowed a premiership rival to get over the top of us. From that day on alarm bells rang for me and our performances have never been the same. Losing interest I believe has everything to do with how much respect you have for the team you love, nothing to do with wins and losses. When our team is so inconsistent and loses in ways that you just cannot fathom or reconcile in your mind it shakes you to the core and it tests your passion in ways that should never be tested. Over the past 3 years we have been opened up like sardine cans on a regular basis, it is ingrained in our on-field culture now and it kills me to watch it. We can be great one week then terrible for the next 3, then great again then terrible for the next 2 etc etc.. More ups than downs and it is this inconsistency that makes it impossible to maintain interest. I have better things to do with my afternoons than watch Port slam home 9 goals unopposed from the goal square.

MONCO: Your life.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
I've been losing interest bit by bit since round 1 2012 when in the final quarter against Hawthorn we raised the white flag in the name of our new coach and allowed a premiership rival to get over the top of us. From that day on alarm bells rang for me and our performances have never been the same. Losing interest I believe has everything to do with how much respect you have for the team you love, nothing to do with wins and losses. When our team is so inconsistent and loses in ways that you just cannot fathom or reconcile in your mind it shakes you to the core and it tests your passion in ways that should never be tested. Over the past 3 years we have been opened up like sardine cans on a regular basis, it is ingrained in our on-field culture now and it kills me to watch it. We can be great one week then terrible for the next 3, then great again then terrible for the next 2 etc etc.. More ups than downs and it is this inconsistency that makes it impossible to maintain interest. I have better things to do with my afternoons than watch Port slam home 9 goals unopposed from the goal square.

Massive ongoing injuries and never having a settled side has a lot to do with that. We would have beaten the dogs if we didn't lose four key players in about fifteen mins, even dogs coach admitted it turned the whole game, WE are crippled with injury, to key players, in fact injuries have ruined our last three seasons, too many soft tissues. If you want heads too roll, it should be that davoren and his entire fitness, health dept, I reckon. Id really like to have seen how Bucks would have gone with a fully fit list, just for once. I cant recall the last time we had a fully fit list, must be a few years ago now, look at reid, did his ACL twice. ! All teams have injuries, but ours is beyond a joke now, it just never seemingly end. We lack leadership out on the ground too, taylor adams was a shocking loss, he steeled up that backline, and our kids lack senior guys around them.

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 pm

kickit2me wrote:
The game changed when South Melbourne were forced north, but it was still tribal. It changed even more when the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Bears were introduced into the comp in 1987, but it was still tribal. But once we removed Victoria Park, Windy Hil, Morabbin, the Western Oval, Arden Street, Princes Park and added 3 more interstate clubs, 2 SA teams and a second WA team, that tribalism was gone. State of Origin was gone. The SANFL and WAFL became just a shadow of their former selves. The interstate hate became a watered down version, as did local rivalries.

But the biggest change was introducing the Suns and Giants. This was the corporatation of footy at it's finest. By now the AFL didn't care about specatator numbers, as long as the jewel in the crown, TV rights, earned them megabucks, they were on a winner.

Oh how I long for the days of 12 clubs, all Victorian, and a radio cross 'around the grounds' that gave you 5 other scores.

Those were the days.

Growing up in Sydney, we had the same setup prior to 1982. A 12 team comp, 22 H&A rounds, each team with their own ground, healthy competitions in Qld, Newcastle & Wollongong. NSW country was a huge nursery.

In 1982 two new teams were admitted. Illawarra was a given. Canberra was only to block the VFL. Dumb decision. In 1988 Brisbane and another Qld club plus Newcastle admitted, the latter should've been admitted with Illawarra, a real no brainer.

Only when superleague blew up was the tribal side of the game destroyed. NRL bears little resemblance to rugby league. AFL is heading the same way IMHO. It's a long way from Aussie Rules even in the 1990s. Tuck's comments on the modern game were very interesting on Footy Flashbacks on Sunday.

Too corporate, way too much money, gambling companies (shouldn't Ladbrokes actually be Brokelads?) not helping in the slightest (my thoughts, not Tuck's).

Yep, whilst it's easy to say "nostalgia aint what it used to be", I think something very vital has been lost in Australia's two traditionally largest football codes. Soul? Passion? Humanity?

MM

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:21 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

I miss Daics one handed marks and booming torps.

And weren't they simply magnificent?
The roar of the crowd so deafeningly loud you couldn't hear yourself talk to the person next to you, in the moments after the ball sailed through the big sticks post-height. Always team lifters, them ones.
When Daicos was pulling those party tricks, we usually won, and won well.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:44 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I went to most Pies games in 1976 when we finished on the bottom for the first time. I haven't seen the stats but my memory is that even in that year the crowds were good at Vic Park. In my opinion that is because the culture was different then. We were Collingwood supporters. We supported our club no matter what. My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it. If you weren't a Collingwood supporter you hated the club. It was tribal . Us against them.

Over the years something has happened. The sport has become professional. That means the players get paid more and change clubs to better their professional careers as would any other employee. It means I am not a fan anymore. I am a revenue unit in a business model The Pies don't have a home ground any more. They have little to differentiate them from any other team. Barracking at the football no longer exists. There is little banter between opposing supporters at games. Games are quite sterile in the outer.

I recall the first game I ever went to. Glenferrie oval, wearing the jumper with Macca's 6 on the back, sitting on my dad's shoulders so that I could see. I was hooked. I also recall the sadness of being at the last game at Vic Park.

My grandfather is long gone and my dad no longer attends games. I continued the tradition by taking my sons to the G for their first game. Nothing to watch before the game. Constant blaring rubbish over the speakers. The game and crowd were both boring & my sons lost interest very quickly. Not one memorable highlight to captivate my boys but that is par for the course with the modern game. It's funny but my boys had interest in the game but by taking them to a game it caused them to lose all interest in it. A decade on they are both very tall, athletic and strong, addicted to their sports but footy is of no interest to them at all. That is not unusual amongst their circle of friends.

The AFL may have achieved its aim of turning supporters into theatre goers but by doing so they have also damaged the game. Why would you keep going to a movie that you do not like?

I will sometimes go to a game and afterwards wonder why I bothered. In 20 years time what would I remember about what I just saw? What was the memorable incident? What was the highlight? Sometimes I will listen to the call of a game on the radio and enjoy it as I picture the game as it once was.

I concede that the skills and speed of the game are far better now than they have ever been. But, I don't think that the game is better. Where have the characters in the game gone? Where are the villains in the opposition? Where is the tribal fervour? Where is the passion? I know where they are. In the history books.

It's makes me so sad to know that the game I grew up with is diminished. For me, and a lot of others, I suspect that this is the real reason for the lack of interest rather than the current performance of the team.

Just read this great post. Apologies for late response.
I too went to every game when we were wooden spooners. That's just what you did back in those days, if you were a passionate supporter.
Fast forward to now and although I still have a huge passion for the Pies would prefer to watch most games in the comfort of my lounge room. Maybe that though is just old age? Smile
Another aspect to add to all your valid points is that live vision through TV and internet means that a helluva lot of supporters must watch in relative solitude.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:17 am

Piesnchess wrote:

Oh, GWS will win a GF before most of us, don't you worry about that. A premiership = top draft picks plus money plus time. GWS will be unstoppable ina few years as the Brions were in 2003, before the league lost interest in them. The blatant rigging of the competition by the AFL in the last fifteen years has been virtually corrupt, andI cannot understand why our club Presidents have accepted it. I suppose they consider it enhances their own personal interests in the club of business elites who dominate the AFL nowadays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: