Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Losing Interest?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Barham was the inspiration for the name.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:45 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

Well i am really chuffed that I got that right.
Good old Ricky.
I once sat with ricky during a game at victoria park when he was injured.
All the girls kept leaning over the fence waving to him.
He turned to me and said " i am not missing the footy with all these young women chasing me"!
And I was was completely and utterly jealous!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:57 pm

thompsoc wrote:

Well i am really chuffed that I got that right.
Good old Ricky.
I once sat with ricky during a game at victoria park when he was injured.
All the girls kept leaning over the fence waving to him.
He turned to me and said " i am not missing the footy with all these young women chasing me"!
And I was was completely and utterly jealous!

He was injured a lot after his first season. Continual hamstring issues. And, StKilda didn't offer him more money to not play for them instead of not playing for us.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm

I went to most Pies games in 1976 when we finished on the bottom for the first time. I haven't seen the stats but my memory is that even in that year the crowds were good at Vic Park. In my opinion that is because the culture was different then. We were Collingwood supporters. We supported our club no matter what. My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it. If you weren't a Collingwood supporter you hated the club. It was tribal . Us against them.

Over the years something has happened. The sport has become professional. That means the players get paid more and change clubs to better their professional careers as would any other employee. It means I am not a fan anymore. I am a revenue unit in a business model The Pies don't have a home ground any more. They have little to differentiate them from any other team. Barracking at the football no longer exists. There is little banter between opposing supporters at games. Games are quite sterile in the outer.

I recall the first game I ever went to. Glenferrie oval, wearing the jumper with Macca's 6 on the back, sitting on my dad's shoulders so that I could see. I was hooked. I also recall the sadness of being at the last game at Vic Park.

My grandfather is long gone and my dad no longer attends games. I continued the tradition by taking my sons to the G for their first game. Nothing to watch before the game. Constant blaring rubbish over the speakers. The game and crowd were both boring & my sons lost interest very quickly. Not one memorable highlight to captivate my boys but that is par for the course with the modern game. It's funny but my boys had interest in the game but by taking them to a game it caused them to lose all interest in it. A decade on they are both very tall, athletic and strong, addicted to their sports but footy is of no interest to them at all. That is not unusual amongst their circle of friends.

The AFL may have achieved its aim of turning supporters into theatre goers but by doing so they have also damaged the game. Why would you keep going to a movie that you do not like?

I will sometimes go to a game and afterwards wonder why I bothered. In 20 years time what would I remember about what I just saw? What was the memorable incident? What was the highlight? Sometimes I will listen to the call of a game on the radio and enjoy it as I picture the game as it once was.

I concede that the skills and speed of the game are far better now than they have ever been. But, I don't think that the game is better. Where have the characters in the game gone? Where are the villains in the opposition? Where is the tribal fervour? Where is the passion? I know where they are. In the history books.

It's makes me so sad to know that the game I grew up with is diminished. For me, and a lot of others, I suspect that this is the real reason for the lack of interest rather than the current performance of the team.

ALL true and well put, and I might add, the League in its dumbarse wisdom got rid of Waverley park too, a shocking decision. That is a huge major growth corridor out there, imagine how many fans would rock up to see a big game there now, it used to be packed out way back when, I was at some of those games. They were always going to put a rail line out there, but they never did, now its just a soulless ghetto of modern ticky tacky housing estates. Waverley had its issues, but at least it had atmosphere and soul, not like this dreadful Etihad, a concrete enclosed sterile dump, totally devoid of atmosphere. I only have a three game membership now,cant be bothered anymore, as you say, no Reserves on pre game, just boring crap and loud music, ah for the old days, of the Under 19s, the Reserves, and then the buildup to the big main game, those days are sadly long gone now, thanks to the Corporates and Foxtel etc. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:57 pm

The game changed when South Melbourne were forced north, but it was still tribal. It changed even more when the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Bears were introduced into the comp in 1987, but it was still tribal. But once we removed Victoria Park, Windy Hil, Morabbin, the Western Oval, Arden Street, Princes Park and added 3 more interstate clubs, 2 SA teams and a second WA team, that tribalism was gone. State of Origin was gone. The SANFL and WAFL became just a shadow of their former selves. The interstate hate became a watered down version, as did local rivalries.

But the biggest change was introducing the Suns and Giants. This was the corporatation of footy at it's finest. By now the AFL didn't care about specatator numbers, as long as the jewel in the crown, TV rights, earned them megabucks, they were on a winner.

Oh how I long for the days of 12 clubs, all Victorian, and a radio cross 'around the grounds' that gave you 5 other scores.

Those were the days.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:04 pm

I went to most Pies games in 1976 when we finished on the bottom for the first time. I haven't seen the stats but my memory is that even in that year the crowds were good at Vic Park. In my opinion that is because the culture was different then. We were Collingwood supporters. We supported our club no matter what. My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it. If you weren't a Collingwood supporter you hated the club. It was tribal . Us against them.

Over the years something has happened. The sport has become professional. That means the players get paid more and change clubs to better their professional careers as would any other employee. It means I am not a fan anymore. I am a revenue unit in a business model The Pies don't have a home ground any more. They have little to differentiate them from any other team. Barracking at the football no longer exists. There is little banter between opposing supporters at games. Games are quite sterile in the outer.

I recall the first game I ever went to. Glenferrie oval, wearing the jumper with Macca's 6 on the back, sitting on my dad's shoulders so that I could see. I was hooked. I also recall the sadness of being at the last game at Vic Park.

My grandfather is long gone and my dad no longer attends games. I continued the tradition by taking my sons to the G for their first game. Nothing to watch before the game. Constant blaring rubbish over the speakers. The game and crowd were both boring & my sons lost interest very quickly. Not one memorable highlight to captivate my boys but that is par for the course with the modern game. It's funny but my boys had interest in the game but by taking them to a game it caused them to lose all interest in it. A decade on they are both very tall, athletic and strong, addicted to their sports but footy is of no interest to them at all. That is not unusual amongst their circle of friends.

The AFL may have achieved its aim of turning supporters into theatre goers but by doing so they have also damaged the game. Why would you keep going to a movie that you do not like?

I will sometimes go to a game and afterwards wonder why I bothered. In 20 years time what would I remember about what I just saw? What was the memorable incident? What was the highlight? Sometimes I will listen to the call of a game on the radio and enjoy it as I picture the game as it once was.

I concede that the skills and speed of the game are far better now than they have ever been. But, I don't think that the game is better. Where have the characters in the game gone? Where are the villains in the opposition? Where is the tribal fervour? Where is the passion? I know where they are. In the history books.

It's makes me so sad to know that the game I grew up with is diminished. For me, and a lot of others, I suspect that this is the real reason for the lack of interest rather than the current performance of the team.

Thanks for sharing that, its actually quite moving.

I'd say Im a bit younger than you, but my favourite footy memory was the '92 Saints Pies game where Sheldon gave old mate who's name escapes me a slap, and he bloody kicked the winning goal!...that was a game to remember

Also remember that this status quo is not written in stone, you, I, we have power to change it if we see fit.

A breakaway league is doable...more than doable

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

ALL true and well put, and I might add, the League in its dumbarse wisdom got rid of Waverley park too, a shocking decision. That is a huge major growth corridor out there, imagine how many fans would rock up to see a big game there now, it used to be packed out way back when, I was at some of those games. They were always going to put a rail line out there, but they never did, now its just a soulless ghetto of modern ticky tacky housing estates. Waverley had its issues, but at least it had atmosphere and soul, not like this dreadful Etihad, a concrete enclosed sterile dump, totally devoid of atmosphere. I only have a three game membership now,cant be bothered anymore, as you say, no Reserves on pre game, just boring crap and loud music, ah for the old days, of the Under 19s, the Reserves, and then the buildup to the big main game, those days are sadly long gone now, thanks to the Corporates and Foxtel etc. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Epitomised by the image of a hamburger with a $55 pricetag.....your Club, my Club, our Club. Your Game, my Game, our Game

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

You can blame john caine and his mcc toff mates for that. there was a lot of fear at the time that waverley was going to somehow take over the mcg so they worked hard to put an end to it.

There was even a plan to run a train line all the way to waverley park from glen waverley station (underground). they had the land and money but sold it off instead. If ever we needed another ground in the outer suburbs, it's there. What makes it worse is that it was there.

waverley was a great ground. I can remember catching the bus out there from clayton station and back for five bucks.

My fondest memory of waverley park was the day mick mcguane kicked goal of the year against the scum.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:37 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
My fondest memory of waverley park was the day mick mcguane kicked goal of the year against the scum.

The nine bounces goal?? This was at the MCG. Last time we played Carlton at Waverly was either round 22/23 in 1992.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Wellingham was living with Buddy. You can work the rest out.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:00 am

Love the Pies. Don't like the way we're playing but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. That's the price we pay, you take the good with the bad.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:45 am

Flashman wrote:
I left at 3 quarter time and don't feel the slightest bit guilty.

I'm not missing the comfort and warmth of home to watch that shit and I won't be for some time now either.

I knew we'd struggle to win with injuries but to be so unaccountable, flawed defensively, non functioning forward and show no passion is just not acceptable.

The total lack of crowd, atmosphere and passion at the MCG must be concerning for the powers that be unless of course we are now merely a means to an end for the greater goal of filling the club revenue coffers.

I did not go because of Weather and Buses on Frankston Line and Watching the Game I thought glad I did not go to game.

Though I be there next monday

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:56 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Yeh, the crowd next week for the Deeees pretend grand final, will be a very low affair, I reckon, cant see a big crowd now. Surprised

With Pies Fan not Turning Up and Dees fans at the Snow

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:36 am

kickit2me wrote:
The game changed when South Melbourne were forced north, but it was still tribal. It changed even more when the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Bears were introduced into the comp in 1987, but it was still tribal. But once we removed Victoria Park, Windy Hil, Morabbin, the Western Oval, Arden Street, Princes Park and added 3 more interstate clubs, 2 SA teams and a second WA team, that tribalism was gone. State of Origin was gone. The SANFL and WAFL became just a shadow of their former selves. The interstate hate became a watered down version, as did local rivalries.

But the biggest change was introducing the Suns and Giants. This was the corporatation of footy at it's finest. By now the AFL didn't care about specatator numbers, as long as the jewel in the crown, TV rights, earned them megabucks, they were on a winner.

Oh how I long for the days of 12 clubs, all Victorian, and a radio cross 'around the grounds' that gave you 5 other scores.

Those were the days.

Agree Footy is all Cooperate Now and all they care about is making $$$$$$$$

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:08 am

makri wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

The nine bounces goal?? This was at the MCG. Last time we played Carlton at Waverly was either round 22/23 in 1992.

MY all time Waverly memory was also v the scum, my sons footy coach was a one eyed blue, so I bet him a six pack on the game. Anyway, we smashed them, but I will never,ever forget Daicos goal from the boundary line, scoreboard end, against tom alvin. Alvin had him fenced in, right on the boundary line, somehow, some how, Daics dodged him a bit, and screwed the ball right around on an impossible angle, it bounced into the square, and bounced right thru, we went nuts, apeshit, it made us 9 goals too 2 at half time, and we coasted home. Very Happy Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: