Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Losing Interest?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Staunton wrote:
I'll give you my take, love it or leave it...

The 2010 team was "my" team, the team I was most passionate about. I watched the Black and White show on YT, and I loved the members of that team. Guys like Wellingham, and Shaw, and Didak seemed like genuine mates. They were my team, and after all the ups and downs for people like Ben Johnson and the emotion of Presti missing out (plus the absolute swagger and strut on the field we had in 10-11) combined to make it a team that I loved following, reading about.

That bond is broken - the club became a business. They treated their people poorly, particularly Wellingham, and the players weren't respectful to the new coach. So it ended up sour. Footy seems like a bland business. Suddenly we were meant to just suddenly worship people like Jordan Russell and Quinten Lynch...plus Dale Thomas and so on walked out. It seems like a million years ago, but this was a team I loved, and it's broken up. I don't feel the same passion and commitment to the people in my jumpers right now - I hope that makes sense.

I think footy has changed as well, it's a bland experience to go to the footy. Kisscam and the dance troupe and the Holden Roar-O-Meter dulled my senses, plus we (generally) serve up a bland on field product. Time has changed - if a team is rubbish, people don't have the time or interest to watch. Once you are irrelevant, as we are now, you mentally move on to watch the NBA or the UFC or whatever. The passion to go and watch a 4-10 team or whatever isn't going to be there like it was in the old days, due to time.

A LOT of this is fixed by winning of course, I'm not naive to not think that. Right now though, this is a bland club, with bland players, and a bland identity. There's no personality, no zip to it.

It has all been downhill since 2010. Not sure we have reached the bottom yet.
Gonzalo 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:37 pm

When they traded Heath Shaw, they traded out part of the DNA that made our club.

We have always had someone who is a rascal and shakes things up.

We are now a club full of boring robots.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:43 pm

The_Staunton wrote:

The 2010 team was "my" team, the team I was most passionate about. I watched the Black and White show on YT, and I loved the members of that team. Guys like Wellingham, and Shaw, and Didak seemed like genuine mates. They were my team, and after all the ups and downs for people like Ben Johnson and the emotion of Presti missing out (plus the absolute swagger and strut on the field we had in 10-11) combined to make it a team that I loved following, reading about.

That bond is broken - the club became a business. They treated their people poorly, particularly Wellingham, and the players weren't respectful to the new coach. So it ended up sour. Footy seems like a bland business. Suddenly we were meant to just suddenly worship people like Jordan Russell and Quinten Lynch...plus Dale Thomas and so on walked out. It seems like a million years ago, but this was a team I loved, and it's broken up. I don't feel the same passion and commitment to the people in my jumpers right now - I hope that makes sense.

I think footy has changed as well, it's a bland experience to go to the footy. Kisscam and the dance troupe and the Holden Roar-O-Meter dulled my senses, plus we (generally) serve up a bland on field product. Time has changed - if a team is rubbish, people don't have the time or interest to watch. Once you are irrelevant, as we are now, you mentally move on to watch the NBA or the UFC or whatever. The passion to go and watch a 4-10 team or whatever isn't going to be there like it was in the old days, due to time.

A LOT of this is fixed by winning of course, I'm not naive to not think that. Right now though, this is a bland club, with bland players, and a bland identity. There's no personality, no zip to it.

Actually, the 2010 was awful until mid season. Remember the loss to the Brions. I hated that team in round 1 when MM played his favourites based on name alone. It took until mid season before he had the balls to start playing players based on form.

For most of us, the love affair really started in the PF with the win over the Cats. Until then, it was still very much hit or miss.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:45 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:

Actually, the 2010 was awful until mid season. Remember the loss to the Brions. I hated that team in round 1 when MM played his favourites based on name alone. It took until mid season before he had the balls to start playing players based on form.

For most of us, the love affair really started in the PF with the win over the Cats. Until then, it was still very much hit or miss.

To be fair, that round 1 team beat a fellow top 4 team by 6 goals....

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:51 pm

There is not much to like about this season. That's football. We will bounce back massively next season. This is the step backwards we had to have. Keep blooding the kids.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Culprit wrote:
There is not much to like about this season. That's football. We will bounce back massively next season. This is the step backwards we had to have. Keep blooding the kids.

True, massive ongoing injury iist, and we cannot take a trick, just one of those utterly crap awful seasons. Yes, play and blood the kids, get games into em, with an eye on next year, and beyond. Better times will come, Collingwood is never down for too long, unlike many other clubs. we just have to wear it for now. Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Culprit wrote:

True, massive ongoing injury iist, and we cannot take a trick, just one of those utterly crap awful seasons. Yes, play and blood the kids, get games into em, with an eye on next year, and beyond. Better times will come, Collingwood is never down for too long, unlike many other clubs. we just have to wear it for now. Wink

True on top of one last year and the year before that and the year before that...see the pattern forming?

We can't be that unlucky surely? Something isn't right when we simply can't get our best 22 on the park for any extended period nor sustain a competitive output for the entire 22 rounds (which might be related to injuries). These problems existed before Davoren even got to Collingwood so something needs to be looked into how the players are trained, prepared and recovered. And that's not even mentioning the dogs breakfast that passes for our defensive structures both in attack and defense.

As a club we have massive issues and we can't be playing the bad luck card any longer if we want to eradicate this downward spiral the Club is in on field at present.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Culprit wrote:

But you understand where people are coming from in not watching terrible footy when you are out of finals contention in R11?

I forgive people who want to do something else...to me a season where you can't make the 8, it's pretty much worthless, but I'll keep watching. I don't blame people who want to do other things with their year.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:29 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Culprit wrote:

But you understand where people are coming from in not watching terrible footy when you are out of finals contention in R11?

I forgive people who want to do something else...to me a season where you can't make the 8, it's pretty much worthless, but I'll keep watching. I don't blame people who want to do other things with their year.

True, but just cos you don't want to go to the game, does not make one a fair weather supporter, though you always get your diehard fans who go, each week, no matter what, and I admire that loyalty, good on em. For me, if your team cant make top four, its all irrelevant, If you lose a Prelim, you may as well have finished 12th, for what its worth. Where has the tigers last three finals losses got them now. ?? Only one team holds up the holy grail cup, just one, anything else means zilch really. I want the Pies to, soon I hope, make top four, and have a red hot go at a flag, but I am prepared to wait with patience as we build a very competitive team, over the next few seasons, and hopefully have a decent run with injuries. I will just now look upon this season as a developing one, blooding our kids and more kids, and look towards better times. At the end of the day, theres not much else we can do, really. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:

So we only love the club when we're winning?That's an interesting insight into the way some people think.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Flashman wrote:
As a club we have massive issues and we can't be playing the bad luck card any longer if we want to eradicate this downward spiral the Club is in on field at present.

This isn't a case of a massive number of soft tissue injuries, so many of them have been contact injuries or things like knees that are simply bad luck.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Redlight wrote:
Flashman wrote:

This isn't a case of a massive number of soft tissue injuries, so many of them have been contact injuries or things like knees that are simply bad luck.

With the injuries, yes.

With the huge disparity between our good and bad, our selective games where we bring the required effort (forgetting wins/losses compare last weeks effort to this week for example), the flawed defensive structures (how many goals did Port get uncontested from 10 metres today? Been happening for a while now) and poor centre square work even when we win in the ruck.

Injuries to key personnel explain some of this but not everything. Today was a massive kick in the guts and reality check for where we are as a side and club. I didn't expect to win with the outs but I was excited to see some lesser lights bring maximum effort to try and cement a position instead we saw a really demoralizing performance after half time that was basically non competitive and that's not good enough.

This is 3 years straight out of finals and I'm really struggling to see where we have improved anywhere this year to justify any optimism for why we are heading down the right path.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 am

Some valid arguments/concerns in this thread.

The season has been nothing short of disappointing. We know this. And we know that a finals appearance is all but gone.

No doubt all the injuries have played a huge part in our disappointment. But how much exactly? If we had a golden run from round one, how many more wins would we really have?

Right now, all we can do is judge this groups morale which seems shot. Will the recover?

When you see the Cats from 07-11 (who btw, had a coaching change and lost the best player of the past 25 years) and what the Hawks have done from 12-now, we cant help but ask what went wrong after 2010? We had a fantastic side and an extremely young premiership side. And the truth is, we should have won at least one more flag with that group. We should have won 2011 and we could have won 2012.

But even if we're not winning the flag from 2011-now, we really should have at least been one of the teams in contention for it.

One question is, if we had of kept MM, would we have contested for another flag by now? Or would be in a similar spot, or heavens forbid, worse off?

Bucks will be the coach at the conclusion of 2016. That, I have no doubt of. But the jungle drums will be getting very loud if we put out more games like today, particularly against the poorer sides. 2017 might see some new faces around the place, and clearly there is something wrong within the club. (Wether it is simply Bucks, or others). BTW, I liked the idea of Craig Kelly challenging the president position. That could have some merit.

The other frustrating fact about 2016, is that the flag seems to be more up for grabs then it has been for a while. What I mean is that there hasn't been a super standout club. North, Geelong, Sydney, GWS, WCE, Dogs have all shown that they can push deep into September. This is similar to 2005 and 2006 where there was no clear ladder favorite. With our list and the expectation of this group, we could have been amongst the teams fighting for a top 4 spot.

Before the season started, most of the experts would have had Collingwood beating the Saints, Dees, Blues. Many would have expected a win against Port. And not many would have expected those huge thrashings in Sydney/Perth.

But then you look at the Cats game. Wow. What a week that was. We looked great and things looked back on track. 2 weeks is a very long time in football though isnt it? We have to beat Melbourne before we have our bye and then Freo.

Oh and getting to the crowd against Melb on Monday, how many Dees people will show up after smelling Pies blood? Sadly, we could be quite outnumbered on the day. I kind of hope they cant get the 60,000 as Im sick of handing them this payday game every year. I'd gladly let someone else take over this fixture.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I went to most Pies games in 1976 when we finished on the bottom for the first time. I haven't seen the stats but my memory is that even in that year the crowds were good at Vic Park. In my opinion that is because the culture was different then. We were Collingwood supporters. We supported our club no matter what. My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it. If you weren't a Collingwood supporter you hated the club. It was tribal . Us against them.

Over the years something has happened. The sport has become professional. That means the players get paid more and change clubs to better their professional careers as would any other employee. It means I am not a fan anymore. I am a revenue unit in a business model The Pies don't have a home ground any more. They have little to differentiate them from any other team. Barracking at the football no longer exists. There is little banter between opposing supporters at games. Games are quite sterile in the outer.

I recall the first game I ever went to. Glenferrie oval, wearing the jumper with Macca's 6 on the back, sitting on my dad's shoulders so that I could see. I was hooked. I also recall the sadness of being at the last game at Vic Park.

My grandfather is long gone and my dad no longer attends games. I continued the tradition by taking my sons to the G for their first game. Nothing to watch before the game. Constant blaring rubbish over the speakers. The game and crowd were both boring & my sons lost interest very quickly. Not one memorable highlight to captivate my boys but that is par for the course with the modern game. It's funny but my boys had interest in the game but by taking them to a game it caused them to lose all interest in it. A decade on they are both very tall, athletic and strong, addicted to their sports but footy is of no interest to them at all. That is not unusual amongst their circle of friends.

The AFL may have achieved its aim of turning supporters into theatre goers but by doing so they have also damaged the game. Why would you keep going to a movie that you do not like?

I will sometimes go to a game and afterwards wonder why I bothered. In 20 years time what would I remember about what I just saw? What was the memorable incident? What was the highlight? Sometimes I will listen to the call of a game on the radio and enjoy it as I picture the game as it once was.

I concede that the skills and speed of the game are far better now than they have ever been. But, I don't think that the game is better. Where have the characters in the game gone? Where are the villains in the opposition? Where is the tribal fervour? Where is the passion? I know where they are. In the history books.

It's makes me so sad to know that the game I grew up with is diminished. For me, and a lot of others, I suspect that this is the real reason for the lack of interest rather than the current performance of the team.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:52 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I went to most Pies games in 1976 when we finished on the bottom for the first time. I haven't seen the stats but my memory is that even in that year the crowds were good at Vic Park. In my opinion that is because the culture was different then. We were Collingwood supporters. We supported our club no matter what. My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it. If you weren't a Collingwood supporter you hated the club. It was tribal . Us against them.

Over the years something has happened. The sport has become professional. That means the players get paid more and change clubs to better their professional careers as would any other employee. It means I am not a fan anymore. I am a revenue unit in a business model The Pies don't have a home ground any more. They have little to differentiate them from any other team. Barracking at the football no longer exists. There is little banter between opposing supporters at games. Games are quite sterile in the outer.

I recall the first game I ever went to. Glenferrie oval, wearing the jumper with Macca's 6 on the back, sitting on my dad's shoulders so that I could see. I was hooked. I also recall the sadness of being at the last game at Vic Park.

My grandfather is long gone and my dad no longer attends games. I continued the tradition by taking my sons to the G for their first game. Nothing to watch before the game. Constant blaring rubbish over the speakers. The game and crowd were both boring & my sons lost interest very quickly. Not one memorable highlight to captivate my boys but that is par for the course with the modern game. It's funny but my boys had interest in the game but by taking them to a game it caused them to lose all interest in it. A decade on they are both very tall, athletic and strong, addicted to their sports but footy is of no interest to them at all. That is not unusual amongst their circle of friends.

The AFL may have achieved its aim of turning supporters into theatre goers but by doing so they have also damaged the game. Why would you keep going to a movie that you do not like?

I will sometimes go to a game and afterwards wonder why I bothered. In 20 years time what would I remember about what I just saw? What was the memorable incident? What was the highlight? Sometimes I will listen to the call of a game on the radio and enjoy it as I picture the game as it once was.

I concede that the skills and speed of the game are far better now than they have ever been. But, I don't think that the game is better. Where have the characters in the game gone? Where are the villains in the opposition? Where is the tribal fervour? Where is the passion? I know where they are. In the history books.

It's makes me so sad to know that the game I grew up with is diminished. For me, and a lot of others, I suspect that this is the real reason for the lack of interest rather than the current performance of the team.

What a wonderful and insightful post.
And you didn't answer my last question to you.
Is 5 on debut a reference to Ricky Barham?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: