Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucks post match review was crap.

He knew Norf had their backs against the wall all week.

He knew Norf would rise to the occasion.

He knew and said it's finals intensity for us (and them).

He knew it was a game both had to win.

He knew, he know, he knew...

And he said that it would've been the best win of the season given all the above and more.

And yet, the game was over in the 1st quarter - you gotta be joking.

If that is the best he can dish up with the team, we have problems, we have issues, we have been B(S)ucked in.

5 years of this. I was a fan of Bucks but struggling big time with his direction, clubs direction.

Give me 5 years and I doubt I could do any worse (and I doubt I would've survived this long) yet we persist.

Will 2017 be any different?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:44 pm

5 Seasons and we keep getting Worse.

ENOUGH SAID

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^km, you might be right or you might be wrong. Since the matter will only be proven in the future we will find out then. I think 2017 will be the year that this development side hits its straps. If it doesn't then i'd say the case is proven and Buckley needs to go. I think rebuilds take a few years to show their quality, and that's where we are. Jury's out, for mine.

The jury is out!
THE JURY gave its decision a while go and they said guilty for being a complete and utter dud.
You forgot to read the Reality Times young man.

Suggest read the various Reality Times threads and tantrums about sacking malthouse in 2008/2009. Reality then was "we haven't won a premiership in ten years under Malthouse... How long does he need.... ." It was true.... But it was not wise.

I think we should be starting to enter the phase when a development squad of young blokes becomes a figting force. You have to sow before you harvest, and this is still the growing season. But there are limits, amd if we cannot make finals next year i think the harvest is overdue and he goes.

Malthouse took us to 2 GF's and a few finals before 2008.
Bux has taken us backwards year after year.

I agree but malthouse took over a team that had previously underacheived for ten years and was stuffed with high draft picks. It is easier/safer to take on a team that is building rather than a team which has peaked. Malthouse was also a fantastic coach, and i supoorted him against all the negativists in 2009 as well, but the point is that sometimes you cant just look at win-loss ratio, you have to look at context and the stage of the development curve (aka premiership clock).

Champagne comedy.

Bucks was handed a powerful on the up. Younger and better than Hawthorn in 2011. Look at whats happened since.

Yep, 5 points better than hawthorn in 2011 and 40 points worse than Geelong. Then, the next year, 40 points worse than Hawthorn and 16 worse than Sydney. I think the pattern was prettty clear. Thomas, L Brown Jolly, Ball Davis Johnson Didak all near the end. Heritier starring in his own political comedy. The big killer, i think, was Jolly. Winning sides need seasoned and winning ruckmen. It was Jolly that gave us 2010's victory but he was cooked soon after.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Yep, 5 points better than hawthorn in 2011 and 40 points worse than Geelong. Then, the next year, 40 points worse than Hawthorn and 16 worse than Sydney. I think the pattern was prettty clear. Thomas, L Brown Jolly, Ball Davis Johnson Didak all near the end. Heritier starring in his own political comedy. The big killer, i think, was Jolly. Winning sides need seasoned and winning ruckmen. It was Jolly that gave us 2010's victory but he was cooked soon after.

What Mugwump wrote is true, the wheels started to fall off at the end of 2011. We lost key personel to injury and retirement soon thereafter, and that potential 'dynasty' was gutted in the process.

I understand that supporters are disappointed in recent results, but I don't understand the refusal to acknowledge reality.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:21 am

You never do... so why would we listen to you. Like really get serious.... lol Laughing
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 am

7 wins. 5 games to go. Quite likely we'll ony win 2 of those 5. Tiges and Sun's. Well probably lose to the Eagles, Dogs, and Hawks.

Takes us to 9 wins. We got 10 wins last year.

The downward slide continues. Do we really have to put up with another year of this? It really dulls enthusiasm for 2017. I thought this was a quick rebuild?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am

OMG another 5? Any interstate I can get out of? I wonder if junior has any 21sts she can't get out of. Ugh.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 am

Redlight wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

What Mugwump wrote is true, the wheels started to fall off at the end of 2011. We lost key personel to injury and retirement soon thereafter, and that potential 'dynasty' was gutted in the process.

I understand that supporters are disappointed in recent results, but I don't understand the refusal to acknowledge reality.

Reality? It's you who is denying reality. We beat North Melbourne last year. We beat Geelong and GWS this year. In addition to last year's side we have introduced two potential superstars into the side in Treloar and Aish and an experienced solid utility in Howe. The side we fielded against NM on Friday night was more than capable of beating them, but wasted any opportunity to win by several undisciplined acts resulting in goal turnovers. We can't even use the excuse of the inexperience of youth in the case of Williams who gave away a goal in front of goals due to his totally inexcusable and unnecessary act. Had Williams done that in the Malthouse era he wouldn't be playing another game of football. It's one thing to have a game plan which I believe Buckley has. It's another thing to execute that game plan accordingly to their instructions and training and with the required discipline not to let the opposition back into the game. This we failed to do Friday night. Isn't that what Pendlebury stated after the game? If we continue to construct more and more excuses for the side, we are going to continue to go backwards. More reality. Melbourne and StKilda have moved past us this season. Both look like challenging for finals next year, but at the rate we're going we'll be bottom four next year, unless we change what we're doing wrong and implement a game plan that the players have total buy in (to use Ross Lyon's words) and have the required discipline to execute.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:06 am

Mugwump wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^km, you might be right or you might be wrong. Since the matter will only be proven in the future we will find out then. I think 2017 will be the year that this development side hits its straps. If it doesn't then i'd say the case is proven and Buckley needs to go. I think rebuilds take a few years to show their quality, and that's where we are. Jury's out, for mine.

The jury is out!
THE JURY gave its decision a while go and they said guilty for being a complete and utter dud.
You forgot to read the Reality Times young man.

Suggest read the various Reality Times threads and tantrums about sacking malthouse in 2008/2009. Reality then was "we haven't won a premiership in ten years under Malthouse... How long does he need.... ." It was true.... But it was not wise.

I think we should be starting to enter the phase when a development squad of young blokes becomes a figting force. You have to sow before you harvest, and this is still the growing season. But there are limits, amd if we cannot make finals next year i think the harvest is overdue and he goes.

Malthouse took us to 2 GF's and a few finals before 2008.
Bux has taken us backwards year after year.

I agree but malthouse took over a team that had previously underacheived for ten years and was stuffed with high draft picks. It is easier/safer to take on a team that is building rather than a team which has peaked. Malthouse was also a fantastic coach, and i supoorted him against all the negativists in 2009 as well, but the point is that sometimes you cant just look at win-loss ratio, you have to look at context and the stage of the development curve (aka premiership clock).

Champagne comedy.

Bucks was handed a powerful on the up. Younger and better than Hawthorn in 2011. Look at whats happened since.

I largely share your view of that history. My concern, having supported the 2012/13 rebuild, is that we seem to have continued to take out reasonably competent players and replace them with more expensive models that are no better. I understand that, individually, there are explanations for Dawes, Wellingham, Thomas, Beams, Shaw and Lumumba going. In Beams' case, I was even pleased. The problem is that a short-term rebuild required us to keep most of the polished senior players we had. Instead, we have White in place of Dawes, Treloar in place of Beams, Howe in place of H, Adams in place of Thomas, No-one at all in place of Shaw, etc etc. Not one of those incoming players is an obvious upgrade on the player whose spot they have taken and, in some cases, they are downgrades. Worse still, they've been surrounded by other average recruits (eg, Lynch, Young, Armstrong, Greenwood, Crisp). Thus, the team looks to me to be further from being competitive than it was at the start of 2014. In those circumstances, I've reluctantly reached the conclusion that we're being fed on spin and, for the first time in 50 seasons, I am not attending games. If you had told me at any time in the previous 50 years that I would not attend a Collingwood home game - or even turn on the TV - because I couldn't be bothered, I would have laughed at the prospect. Now, though, my Legends membership seems utterly pointless. I don't believe I'm alone in that view - even before I stopped attending last year, there were huge areas of empty seats all around me in the Ponsford Stand. Long-time, loyal supporters are voting with their feet. Many of them, like me, are not losing interest because they won't watch the team lose but because what the team shows on the field offers little reason for optimism. Seriously, I didn't mind 1976 as much as I mind this.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:30 am

Each to their own I guess P4S, but imo:

White is an upgrade on Dawes
Varcoe is an upgrade on Heritier
De Goey/Crisp/Greenwood are (together) an upgrade on broken down Beams
Howe is an upgrade on Kennedy
Adams is an upgrade on Heater.

Our problem is we have not replaced an ageing/out of form Cloke, nor found a replacement for Didak/Swan/Davis as a crumbing forward. Also, we are too reliant on a lone young emerging ruckman.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Of course they're all upgrades - that's why the team is performing so splendidly on the field. I get it.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:31 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Reality? It's you who is denying reality. We beat North Melbourne last year. We beat Geelong and GWS this year. In addition to last year's side we have introduced two potential superstars into the side in Treloar and Aish and an experienced solid utility in Howe. The side we fielded against NM on Friday night was more than capable of beating them, but wasted any opportunity to win by several undisciplined acts resulting in goal turnovers. We can't even use the excuse of the inexperience of youth in the case of Williams who gave away a goal in front of goals due to his totally inexcusable and unnecessary act. Had Williams done that in the Malthouse era he wouldn't be playing another game of football. It's one thing to have a game plan which I believe Buckley has. It's another thing to execute that game plan accordingly to their instructions and training and with the required discipline not to let the opposition back into the game. This we failed to do Friday night. Isn't that what Pendlebury stated after the game? If we continue to construct more and more excuses for the side, we are going to continue to go backwards. More reality. Melbourne and StKilda have moved past us this season. Both look like challenging for finals next year, but at the rate we're going we'll be bottom four next year, unless we change what we're doing wrong and implement a game plan that the players have total buy in (to use Ross Lyon's words) and have the required discipline to execute.

My statement was simply to agree with Mugwump, who in turn was responding to this line about the 2011 side...

"Bucks was handed a powerful on the up. Younger and better than Hawthorn in 2011. Look at whats happened since."

It might serve you to read what I was actually commenting on, rather than constructing a response to a discussion that wasn't being had.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:45 pm

There is no use arguing positivity and persistence to those who have already left the relationship.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Of course they're all upgrades - that's why the team is performing so splendidly on the field. I get it.

Take a breath P4s. If you read the bottom line of my post you'll see where I believe we have deteriorated - in the ruck and up forward. Those are key areas, which need urgent addressing if we are to significantly improve.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Personally I think we have the list. I just don't think we have the coaches.
An addition or two to the list won't hurt but the current list is A OK...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 44 of 110   

Jump to: