Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
I don't agree. At 3 quarter time we were still in it. We lost the grand final at the death, 25 minutes. A healthy team, and a team that had actually turned up round 22 and back to back was ours.

MM -Buckley debacle did that.

And we don't owe Buckley anything. He will always be a Collingwood legend. As will Leigh Matthews, obviously for a different reason.

Largely I agree with you, it was ours for the taking, but ol MM played unfit guys, like Reid, and Hawkins smashed him. At the end of the day, sadly, the Premiership cup has on it the word GEELONG, and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Sad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza, there's an online article on The Age's site entitled "Pies coach says McGuire slipped up" that quotes heavily from Buckley's remarks. I'm on my phone so can't paste the link but perhaps someone else could.

^ It's paywalled so I am not sure there is much point in pasting the link - his comments were more or less the same as he said on 360, and that is on the club website : that Eddie regretted what he'd said, both in terms of how it reflected on his personal values and on the club and other organisations that he was involved with, and that it was good that he was man enough to apologise for it.

Anyone who found Buckley's comments objectionable must have an agenda. But that's all that words seem to mean nowadays, the agenda of the listener.

Mugwump, I assume that you are referring to me. Retread my post.I have no hidden agenda. I said what I meant and meant what I said.

Well, I was actually thinking of Wolfboy, who followed your lead to pile in with his usual tedious refrain. He could say the same thing a million different ways, and still find a way to add a little less each time.

But why you would form any view about Buckley when he was clearly following the agreed club line - already espoused by Pert and McGuire - beats me. He was inevitably asked the question. He answered it with the line that the Club have clearly established. It's called discipline, and he has always shown that 100%. If you form a view about his tenure on that basis, I can only conclude that your mind was already somehow made up.

Two issues here.

First, what you call the agreed club line. The club initially supported Eddie in its statement. That should have been the end of it. But no, it wasn't. I assume that pressure was put upon the club to say something else so Pert released another statement that threw Eddie under the bus. I have no doubt that while in private the club supported Eddie in public they have not. If ever there was a time for Side by Side that was it. It wasn't demonstrated by the club. I would expect that Eddie is devastated, feels betrayed by his club and is finished at the club- whether now or at the end of the season, but emotionally he will be done. It is hard for me to express how angry I am that the club has achieved Wilsons goal for her. The fact that they gave in so quickly disgusts me. There was a time when my connection to the club was very strong. Now I wonder why I could still have any feeling for it at all. It is weak, it is disloyal and it does not look after its own. They are all qualities that I despise.

Second, regardless of whether or not Buckley was asked a question about the issue he should not have answered it. There is no compulsion for him to do so. Why he would take the opportunity to be critical of his greatest supporter, and to talk about how the issue is effecting the club, is beyond me. There is an agenda being driven by the PC mob which has been hijacked by the anti Collingwood/ anti Eddie group and Buckley has waded into that to assist.

I can handle bad on field performances as that is part of football. What I cannot accept is the pathetic manner in which the club has handled this issue. I am disgusted with them.

So well stated. Eddie did the honourable thing and bowed to the pressure of the board and apologised. As far as I'm concerned, Eddie is a hero, proving as always that the club is more powerful than the individual. What this has shown to me is there are public figures out there who are heroic in not bowing to the pressure of the lynch mob. Then there are the fence sitters who move with the tide and then there are those with malicious intent who want to cut down tall poppies for the sake of it.

The heroes: Eddie, Julie Bishop, Jeff Kennett, Sam Newman, Rita Panahi

The fence sitters: Bill Shorten, Malcolm Turnbull, Nathan Buckley, Emirates Airlines, Holden, Caroline Wilson, Gary Pert

The misguided: Susie O'Brien and other feminist groups who could draw any connotation from the harmless banter between Eddie and his crew that was demeaning to women, when 40,000 people including numerous MCC officials trained in the anti-discrimination laws witnessing what was said at the ground, could find nothing wrong (no-one issued a complaint on the ground)
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:34 pm

35forever I'm of the exact same opinion.

Robbo came out and went to press with complete lies about 11 players testing positive after being told by both the club and AFL that was wrong and nothing happens. Bucks slaps him down on 360 about it and Gill says the same thing about it being completely wrong yet the club has no right of recourse other than a media ban with his organisation which in effect breaches our license with the AFL which clearly states we are obliged to make X number of players and coaches available each week for mandatory interviews with XYZ media outlets (his included) these are covered in each of the clubs license agreements with the AFL which they must sign to receive there share of the pie each year.

But Richmond come out and say they are banning speaking to MMM to defend Carro and are lauded for taking a strong stance !!
And no one at the AFL has said boo.
It's wrong on every level.
Eddie made a joke and in the times we live maybe it was tasteless but there has been no bigger supporter of woman in sport or business than Eddie. Our club was the first or one of the first to appoint a female board member.

We have woman in management positions and I applaud our club for investing in the female AFL team and netball.
If Eddie is guilty of anything it's being a bad comedian end of story
I'm tired of all these politically correct people telling us how we can talk and think
Wrong is wrong no matter how they spell it
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:09 am

Gotta love this quote from buckley's presser today about the GWS half back line -

"There's no doubt their run off half-back is good and it's a strong aspect of their game, but it's not exceptional."

Great to see the coach keep it low key and not giving the opposition any extra motivation to want to kick our butts on Saturday.

Seriously, wtf?

What's not exceptional about Buntine, Wilson, Williams, Kennedy, Haynes, Shaw and Griffin. Even with a few of them injured, their half back flankers are elite.

It's just a mind numbingly stupid thing for a coach of the 11th side to say about the 3rd side. Take the training wheels off Bucks, it's your fifth season mate. Don't give the opposition anything.

Would much prefer a smart response that a clarko, Roos, Scott, Longmire or Lyon would have given... "Well GWS half backs are in phenomenal form. Our half Fwds have got their work cut out. But we're up for the challenge"....

... "Not exceptional"... Expecting Heater to kick 6 off half back this week
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:51 am

The end of this article is the most interesting.

How ballet is behind the Pies’ resurgence
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-crowd/the-unexpected-link-between-ballet-lessons-and-a-resurgence-in-collingwoods-football-fortunes/news-story/ab597b116ae5b8e6cb3f4c457aa4776a
From Fox Sports App.
Download the FOX Sports app here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cs/Satellite/app?source=app&site=FoxSports&channel=mobile @FOXSportsAUS

On a recent episode of Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Jonathan Brown broke down how the Pies have stopped playing their 1-3-2 zone defence from the centre bounce, instead going the more traditional route, playing man-on-man defence.

“I think Nathan Buckley has just gone, righto, I’m going to back you guys in one-on-one,” Brown said. “Yeah of course, you’re still conscious of looking after your teammate and flying third up.

“That is a definite change of philosophy after the bye, and it’ll be interesting to see if that continues on.”

Now, whether Collingwood commits to playing a man-on-man defence for a prolonged period of time will be intriguing. In today’s era of versatility, elements of a zone and spatial defence need to be implemented to have the greatest possible rate of success.

It is ironic, though, that a simple change in game plan from Buckley, combined with a unique ballet training routine from the Pies’ best backman, has led to this dramatic change of fortunes.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Gotta love this quote from buckley's presser today about the GWS half back line -

"There's no doubt their run off half-back is good and it's a strong aspect of their game, but it's not exceptional."

Great to see the coach keep it low key and not giving the opposition any extra motivation to want to kick our butts on Saturday.

Seriously, wtf?

What's not exceptional about Buntine, Wilson, Williams, Kennedy, Haynes, Shaw and Griffin. Even with a few of them injured, their half back flankers are elite.

It's just a mind numbingly stupid thing for a coach of the 11th side to say about the 3rd side. Take the training wheels off Bucks, it's your fifth season mate. Don't give the opposition anything.

Would much prefer a smart response that a clarko, Roos, Scott, Longmire or Lyon would have given... "Well GWS half backs are in phenomenal form. Our half Fwds have got their work cut out. But we're up for the challenge"....

Perhaps he was alluding to the fact that its no better or worse than, say, geelong, or the hawks, swans or crows etc, any of the top sides, jeesus, its not as if he totally bagged them, but I guess Bucks haters like you just jump on him any chance you get, guess that's the way of it now. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:37 pm

didick wrote:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-crowd/the-unexpected-link-between-ballet-lessons-and-a-resurgence-in-collingwoods-football-fortunes/news-story/ab597b116ae5b8e6cb3f4c457aa4776a
From Fox Sports App.
Download the FOX Sports app here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cs/Satellite/app?source=app&site=FoxSports&channel=mobile @FOXSportsAUS

On a recent episode of Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Jonathan Brown broke down how the Pies have stopped playing their 1-3-2 zone defence from the centre bounce, instead going the more traditional route, playing man-on-man defence.

“I think Nathan Buckley has just gone, righto, I’m going to back you guys in one-on-one,” Brown said. “Yeah of course, you’re still conscious of looking after your teammate and flying third up.

“That is a definite change of philosophy after the bye, and it’ll be interesting to see if that continues on.”

Now, whether Collingwood commits to playing a man-on-man defence for a prolonged period of time will be intriguing. In today’s era of versatility, elements of a zone and spatial defence need to be implemented to have the greatest possible rate of success.

It is ironic, though, that a simple change in game plan from Buckley, combined with a unique ballet training routine from the Pies’ best backman, has led to this dramatic change of fortunes.

Good stuff, ta for that.

Whether we've gone man on man or just upped the intensity I can't tell but we've definitely harder to score against in the last 2 weeks. That's almost back to basics, defend first - stop the opposition scoring-then attack.

We just need to keep up the defence and score more ourselves.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 pm

didick wrote:

From Fox Sports App.

Haha Jono brown sees what happened. The joke of a game plan that was rounds 1 to 7 was changed. Surprise suprise with a change of game plan, even with injuries, the pies are much more competitive. Goodness me. Brown sees what all us "negative" types have seen all year. Yet the Bucks lovers will ignore the truth yet again and claim it's not his fault...
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

Seriously, wtf?

Perhaps he was alluding to the fact that its no better or worse than, say, geelong, or the hawks, swans or crows etc, any of the top sides, jeesus, its not as if he totally bagged them, but I guess Bucks haters like you just jump on him any chance you get, guess that's the way of it now. Confused

Are you serious? I never see other "good" coaches give up easy quotes to the opposition like that. It's just further evidence of how out of his depth he is. You seriously think Leon Cameron, or Nick Maxwell (leadership coach) isn't gonna say "hey shawry, your old coach.. You know the one that got rid of you, thinks you and your half back mates are "not exceptional". You guys are just ok, good and average top 8 fodder"... Please. As coach your job in pressers is to give nothing. It's an absurd thing to say. And swans, Hawks, crows and dogs etc are all exceptional.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Are you serious? I never see other "good" coaches give up easy quotes to the opposition like that. It's just further evidence of how out of his depth he is. It's an absurd thing to say. And swans, Hawks, crows and dogs etc are all exceptional.

Totally disagree.

What did you expect him to say?

Ooo, their half backs are fricken awesome! ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Are you serious? I never see other "good" coaches give up easy quotes to the opposition like that. It's just further evidence of how out of his depth he is. You seriously think Leon Cameron, or Nick Maxwell (leadership coach) isn't gonna say "hey shawry, your old coach.. You know the one that got rid of you, thinks you and your half back mates are "not exceptional". You guys are just ok, good and average top 8 fodder"... Please. As coach your job in pressers is to give nothing. It's an absurd thing to say. And swans, Hawks, crows and dogs etc are all exceptional.

You mean good coaches like Clarkson who called out Port for toughness and mental strength and then put the whole competition on notice that basically the Hawks were going to win the flag again?

The Weed 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Ah Cam , always with the facts and logic, no place for that here mate.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:39 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:

Seriously, wtf?

I have often wondered why there is a "give them nothing to motivate them" attitude in AFL football. Perhaps those with a degree in psychology could contribute on the point, but why would a professional athlete try harder just because someone said something negative about them in the lead up to the game? Aren't they always giving it 100% ? I have often heard AFL players say that in milestone games the players forget about that and just play when the ball is bounced.

Muhammad Ali and many boxers and MMA fighters since then have no fear of telling their opponents exactly where there weaknesses are and what they are going to do to them.

Going back to the 70's Thommo had no problems telling the Poms what he was going to do to them. Glenn McGrath had no qualms about looking down the camera and telling Atherton that he was weak outside off stump and that he was going to target him.

This behaviour goes on in many other sports as well but in AFL football it is taboo. Why ? My guess is that as football is quite conservative and traditional, and as most people are sheep, that someone prominent in the game decided years ago not to give anything away and that has been followed blindly without thought ever since. I am looking forward to a coach saying we are better than them and this is what we are going to do to them. One day a coach will have the balls to say what he thinks and to do it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:40 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
didick wrote:

From Fox Sports App.

Haha Jono brown sees what happened. The joke of a game plan that was rounds 1 to 7 was changed. Surprise suprise with a change of game plan, even with injuries, the pies are much more competitive. Goodness me. Brown sees what all us "negative" types have seen all year. Yet the Bucks lovers will ignore the truth yet again and claim it's not his fault...

I'm sorry, I missed your point.

A coach puts a tactic in place, it doesn't work properly which could be because it's a bad tactic or because the players aren't up to implementing it or any shade between, so he changes things and the changes work and that's the hallmark of a bad coach?

Did I miss something?

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:55 am

Donny wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Are you serious? I never see other "good" coaches give up easy quotes to the opposition like that. It's just further evidence of how out of his depth he is. It's an absurd thing to say. And swans, Hawks, crows and dogs etc are all exceptional.

Totally disagree.

What did you expect him to say?

Ooo, their half backs are fricken awesome! ?

I expected him to say "GWS half back line is clearly elite. It's in great form. We gotta stop their run". If, and when, we nullify their half back line and win (or get a close loss), he could say "we nullified GWS half back line and that's an awesome achievement. We executed brilliantly."... What is it that people's don't understand about not handing bulletin board material to the other side??? Why give them even 1% extra motivation?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 33 of 110   

Jump to: