Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

None of them are "dominant". Being better than our rucks isn't really the same thing, is it? It's like how being better than Marley Williams on your right foot doesn't mean you have a "dominant" right foot.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
None of them are "dominant". Being better than our rucks isn't really the same thing, is it? It's like how being better than Marley Williams on your right foot doesn't mean you have a "dominant" right foot.

They dominate us. Rolling Eyes
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:06 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I'm backing Bucks because we have shown under his coaching that we can match or beat the top sides, when we've got a healthy list. Imo, no other coach is likely to get better performances from our current list. My main frustration is not with Bucks but with our recruiting. Until we recruit a dominant ruckman who can give our midfielders first use of the ball, we will not become a top 4 side.

Haven't Hawthorn just been a top 4 side 5 years in a row without a dominant ruckman?

Hale, McEvoy and even Ceglar are all better tap ruckmen than any of our rucks.

We have also shown that we can get our arse handed to us by poor football teams. What's your point?
You really think hitouts is the major reason we get scored against from the goal square so often? Is hitouts the reason teams go coast to coast against us so often? Is hitouts the reason we are often 100 uncontested possessions behind our opposition? For goodness sake this is the coaches 5th year. Every one of them has been worse than the one before. When is he responsible in your opinion? Will he ever be?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:56 am

watt price tully wrote:

Mugwump, is there a critical mass at which point loyalty becomes self defeating? Is there a point where the greater collinggood is being compromised by said loyalty?
I've had more positions than than the karma sutra re Buckley & not infrequently in the one match. I think he needs to move on now & let it be at the end of the year.

Oh, absolutely, WPT. Loyalty is not a blank cheque. But the sum you write on it depends on how you judge the investment : in other words, are there grounds to think that you will get your money back on Buckley, and what is the cost of cutting your losses ?

If Nathan Buckley cannot coach, then why were we 8 and 3 at the half-way point last year ? Did he suddenly forget how to coach one day, or did injuries murder us ? Why were we able to match it with Geelong and the Dogs until we lost three of our most important playmakers in fifteen minutes? I believe that Jock McHale’s ghost would struggle to coach the injury-cruelled side we have put up these past few weeks into the top 17 in the competition. And while we were iffy in the first half of the season, as P4S rightly states, I feel that this is explicable as well. So I am not yet at your "critical mass", and I will not be until I see our best 20+ on the park for several successive weeks.

For me, this point is this : right now, I am holding onto a dream that I will see Nathan Buckley lift a premiership cup for Collingwood in the next four years. Barring GWS’s ludicrous ballot-rigging by the AFL, I think it is quite possible – not certain, but possible - for this to happen, if we get anything like our best side on the park. And because Nathan Buckley was the soul of our club for more than ten years, and we hung on through the tough times, it’ll be that much sweeter when it happens : sweeter than a Leigh Matthews premiership, sweeter than a Malthouse premiership. I want that and I’m prepared to pay a price and take a risk for it. I bloody hope that the Board are, as well.

Most things in life that are worth having do not come easily, but they are the more beautiful when they come after you have suffered for them. Collingwood for me is not a business proposition : it’s a romantic love ; I actually misted up a bit in that first quarter against the Cats, as I did in 2010’s PF against them. Even in romance, reality sometimes lets you down and you have to walk away. But I’m nowhere near that yet.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:56 am; edited 2 times in total
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:02 am

I voted for the first option, but I really dont believe we should pay him out. This entire debacle has done untold damage to the club, we wont grasp how much damage for a few years yet. I figure he owes us, the members & supporters about 25 billion in heartache, lost flags, careers ruined, players wasted, weekends destroyed, friendships ruined, & money lost to sportsbet.
Then again he's saved us a mozza on streamers, beer, and silver polish.

Worst of all, he's turned the name "Buckley" from one of the greatest in Collingwood history, up there with McHale, Rose, Daicos, Kyne, Richards & McKenna, into one synonymous with self-delusion, selfishness, and treachery, and that is one of the most heinous and saddest things in our club's long history.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:21 am

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Mugwump, is there a critical mass at which point loyalty becomes self defeating? Is there a point where the greater collinggood is being compromised by said loyalty?
I've had more positions than than the karma sutra re Buckley & not infrequently in the one match. I think he needs to move on now & let it be at the end of the year.

Oh, absolutely, WPT. Loyalty is not a blank cheque. But the sum you write on it depends on how you judge the investment : in other words, are there grounds to think that you will get your money back on Buckley, and what is the cost of cutting your losses ?

If Nathan Buckley cannot coach, then why were we 8 and 3 at the half-way point last year ? Did he suddenly forget how to coach one day, or did injuries murder us ? Why were we able to match it with Geelong and the Dogs until we lost three of our most important playmakers in fifteen minutes? I believe that Jock McHale’s ghost would struggle to coach the injury-cruelled side we have put up these past few weeks into the top 17 in the competition. And while we were iffy in the first half of the season, as P4S rightly states, I feel that this is explicable as well. So I am not yet at your "critical mass", and I will not be until I see our best 20+ on the park for several successive weeks.

For me, this point is this : right now, I am holding onto a dream that I will see Nathan Buckley lift a premiership cup for Collingwood in the next four years. Barring GWS’s ludicrous ballot-rigging by the AFL, I think it is quite possible – not certain, but possible - for this to happen, if we get anything like our best side on the park. And because Nathan Buckley was the soul of our club for more than ten years, and we hung on through the tough times, it’ll be that much sweeter when it happens : sweeter than a Leigh Matthews premiership, sweeter than a Malthouse premiership. I want that and I’m prepared to pay a price and take a risk for it. I bloody hope that the Board are, as well.

Most things in life that are worth having do not come easily, but they are the more beautiful when they come after you have suffered for them. Collingwood for me is not a business proposition : it’s a romantic love ; I actually misted up a bit in that first quarter against the Cats, as I did in 2010’s PF against them. Even in romance, reality sometimes lets you down and you have to walk away. But I’m nowhere near that yet.

The closest he's going to get to lifting the premiership cup is if he dusts ones we've already won from the display cabinet. What's going to be hugely sweet is when he finally gets the arse for wasting everyone's time for years..... You may love him, but I don't, and frankly I'll be happy when his and our clubs chapter together is finally over for good. Cant wait... champagne is on ice...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:46 am

35forever wrote:
I voted for the first option, but I really dont believe we should pay him out. This entire debacle has done untold damage to the club, we wont grasp how much damage for a few years yet. I figure he owes us, the members & supporters about 25 billion in heartache, lost flags, careers ruined, players wasted, weekends destroyed, friendships ruined, & money lost to sportsbet.
Then again he's saved us a mozza on streamers, beer, and silver polish.

Worst of all, he's turned the name "Buckley" from one of the greatest in Collingwood history, up there with McHale, Rose, Daicos, Kyne, Richards & McKenna, into one synonymous with self-delusion, selfishness, and treachery, and that is one of the most heinous and saddest things in our club's long history.

Yep!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 am

^ Bloody hell, anybody would think that James Hird had taken over your club.

The vilification of Buckley on here is clearly absurd and vastly over the top. I hope the Board will hold their nerve, and if they do, I think it is highly likely that he'll be vindicated in the end as the football we can play with the better part of our list emerges.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:38 am

Mugwump wrote:

The vilification of Buckley on here is clearly absurd and vastly over the top. I hope the Board will hold their nerve, and if they do, I think it is highly likely that he'll be vindicated in the end as the football we can play with the better part of our list emerges.

I'm one of those people thinking it might be best for Buckley to finish up at the end of the season, but quite frankly, some of the stuff being printed here is utter nonsense. As one of our greatest ever players Buckley doesn't owe us anything. We're the ones who owe him and nothing changes however his coaching finishes up.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:27 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I'm one of those people thinking it might be best for Buckley to finish up at the end of the season, but quite frankly, some of the stuff being printed here is utter nonsense. As one of our greatest ever players Buckley doesn't owe us anything. We're the ones who owe him and nothing changes however his coaching finishes up.

I can respect that point of view, BiFC, even if I disagree with it. Saying that Nathan Buckley's name now represents "self-delusion, selfishness and treachery", however, is just downright weird. Hird is those things. Buckley, at worst, is a coach whose football plans are not working out too well right now. He is also an honoured club legend and always will be, as you say.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I can respect that point of view, BiFC, even if I disagree with it. Saying that Nathan Buckley's name now represents "self-delusion, selfishness and treachery", however, is just downright weird. Hird is those things. Buckley, at worst, is a coach whose football plans are not working out too well right now. He is also an honoured club legend and always will be, as you say.

I should add, now is not the the time to express our differences with the coach. We need to support our president against these spurious attacks from the media frenzy. Side by side we stand united with Eddie and the CFC.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I should add, now is not the the time to express our differences with the coach. We need to support our president against these spurious attacks from the media frenzy. Side by side we stand united with Eddie and the CFC.

I was largely undecided about Buckley but his effort today has made my mind up that he should have his contract terminated at the end of the season. The stress and pressure must be getting to him as it can be the only reason for his behaviour today.

Why would he buy into the current Eddie/Wilson issue , allowing himself to be quoted in headlines as disagreeing with Eddie's comments & talking about the effect they are having on the club ? Stupid decision. His job is to isolate the players from those sorts of issue & convince them that their only focus is the game, not to inflame the issue. If he doesn't understand what the club is paying him to do then it is no wonder we are seeing the results of the last few years. He is either incredibly naive or looking for a scapegoat for subsequent failure.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I was largely undecided about Buckley but his effort today has made my mind up that he should have his contract terminated at the end of the season. The stress and pressure must be getting to him as it can be the only reason for his behaviour today.

Why would he buy into the current Eddie/Wilson issue , allowing himself to be quoted in headlines as disagreeing with Eddie's comments & talking about the effect they are having on the club ? Stupid decision. His job is to isolate the players from those sorts of issue & convince them that their only focus is the game, not to inflame the issue. If he doesn't understand what the club is paying him to do then it is no wonder we are seeing the results of the last few years. He is either incredibly naive or looking for a scapegoat for subsequent failure.

As most of you know my feeling towards our ex champion player as coach are pretty strong, but I must admit... even I was surprised to see this in the news today. It's a serious error of judgment on his behalf.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

What did Bucks say exactly?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Jezza, there's an online article on The Age's site entitled "Pies coach says McGuire slipped up" that quotes heavily from Buckley's remarks. I'm on my phone so can't paste the link but perhaps someone else could.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 31 of 110   

Jump to: