Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jmac70 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jmac70 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jmac70 wrote:
It's quite simple really. By saying that he will be sacked if we miss the finals next year, Buckley is effectively owning that debate.

I would have thought that Buck's was as usual simply being realistic and totally honest..... Rolling Eyes

I agree that he was being honest. Do you think it was a good idea for him answer the question about his future beyond 2017? Alternatively he could have just played a straight bat.

Thanks for the question and yes, if it was me, I would have answered it very honestly, just like Buck's did. I honestly don't think that playing silly mind games on this issue is valuable for any party concerned.

It will be interesting to see if Bucks is offered a contract extension during the 2017 season.

If season goes as you'd hope, Bucks would be extended sometime after mid-season.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Everyone on Nicks has their own fixed opinion on Bucks as a coach. I'm not going to attempt to change anyone's opinion. In truth, neither the sadsacks or the lollypop brigade know how good or bad Bucks is as a coach. Only the team and our football department are in a position to make that judgement, from an informed perspective. One thing I'm convinced of is that a team's on field success/failure alone, does not correlate to how good or bad a coach is. Richmond's Tony Jewell won them a flag and was immediately sacked, as was Jezza from Carlton. Remember, team success or failure is the result of a myriad of factors, including the age, experience, quality, injury rate of the players, plus the quality of the coaching team and the entire football department.

However, here are possible scenarios re our coach worth thinking about.

1. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks and we immediately see a qualitative improvement in our performances, with a new game plan, and we win a flag within a couple of years.

2. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks, but the club fails to gather any momentum and we remain a middle rung team for the next few years.

3. After winning just 9 games this season next year we win 12 games (a 33% improvement on 2016), but due to injuries to key players (such as Moore and Grundy), we just miss the finals. Nevertheless, the club is convinced we are heading in the right direction, extends Bucks' contract and we win the flag in 2018.

Whatever happens regarding Bucks position as our coach, I just hope that our club makes an informed decision, rather than responding to external supporter and media pressure.

Of course there's a fourth possible scenario.

4. We make the finals next year, and go on to win the f*cking flag. We then sack Bucks for only achieving one finals appearance in 4 years. Embarassed
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 pm

No extension until the end of a successful '17 season should be the terms, and I'm a pro-Bucks man.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:23 pm

Cam wrote:
No extension until the end of a successful '17 season should be the terms, and I'm a pro-Bucks man.

Words of wisdom from Cam......as per usual. Cool
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:40 pm

if we are 5-3 I'm 100% he'll get a 2 year extension there and then...
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 pm

The debate about Buckley being to honest in the interview is interesting.
Personally I think he erred he should have said something along the lines of look next season will be decided as it progresses like every club out there we want to play finals and will be striving for that goal. End
Eddie has basically defused it by saying that won't be the deciding factor at all. He said the club entered into a long term plan and had backed the coach/es & list management to get there. He said injuries had set us back a bit (he highlighted Scharenberg who Gerard Healy rated the equal best player in the draft along side the Bont) as well as no Elliott and Swan that had derailed our season to a large extent.
Eddie said it always the goal of the club to play finals everyone works towards that and at the end of the day wins and losses count but he hoped the board would take a view of everything when the time comes to make a decision in 2017
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Cam wrote:

spot on cam even bucks said no finals and he is gone so well said cam
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Cam wrote:

should be the terms, being the logical clause here...

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
if we are 5-3 I'm 100% he'll get a 2 year extension there and then...

Interesting; as I keep hearing round 8 2017, being the line in the sand point.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
Cam wrote:

spot on cam even bucks said no finals and he is gone so well said cam

I agree, unlike our 2016 squad which was underdeveloped to start with, and then cruelled by the unexpected loss of our greatest player and bets goalscorer (Swan/Elliott respectively), this team is clearly good enough to go places in 2017. If Buckley cannot get it into the 8 next year, then it'll be over at year end. If it is clear early in the year that we'll miss the 8, he may not survive the season.

As with all things, you need to take context into account in assessing success or failure - injury rates matter, as do the margins of wins and losses, and if we finished outside the 8 because of percentage only, then I guess those would be mitigating factors, as with any coach. But he'd need a lot of mitigation if he does not make it into the 8 next year.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Roos gets belted by 111 points in last game and smashed last week , Bolton drops a shocker to the grossly undermanned Dons, yet Bucks is supposedly the worst coach in the League according too some on here. Coaches with young rebuilding teams have shockers at times, though we have not been really smashed aside from Rd 1.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Roos gets belted by 111 points in last game and smashed last week , Bolton drops a shocker to the grossly undermanned Dons, yet Bucks is supposedly the worst coach in the League according too some on here. Coaches with young rebuilding teams have shockers at times, though we have not been really smashed aside from Rd 1.

Spot on. When a team becomes uncompetitive because the players have lost confidence in their coach, that's when it's time to change the coach. Despite the disappointment of our last few years, there has been no sign at all of discontent or the players losing faith with Bucks. The truth is we have been re-building a whole new side since 2013 and we have also experienced 3 consecutive shocking rates of injury to key players. Imo, all the signs suggest that our team is gradually building momentum and set for a very successful 2017 including winning finals. Maybe I'm a deluded optimist, but that's the way I roll. Go Pies!
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:40 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Spot on. When a team becomes uncompetitive because the players have lost confidence in their coach, that's when it's time to change the coach. Despite the disappointment of our last few years, there has been no sign at all of discontent or the players losing faith with Bucks. The truth is we have been re-building a whole new side since 2013 and we have also experienced 3 consecutive shocking rates of injury to key players. Imo, all the signs suggest that our team is gradually building momentum and set for a very successful 2017 including winning finals. Maybe I'm a deluded optimist, but that's the way I roll. Go Pies!

You are both exceedingly sage. Smile
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:17 pm

The thread should be closed and reopened after Round one Season 2017. Very Happy
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Culprit wrote:
The thread should be closed and reopened after Round one Season 2017. Very Happy

But we need somewhere to write about extending Buckley's contract for 5 years after winning a preseason game.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Culprit wrote:
The thread should be closed and reopened after the bye Season 2017. Very Happy

EFA Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 90 of 110   

Jump to: