Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Crickets Chirping

No that is the social club!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The 2006-2009 squads were vastly more experienced and established - and more basically talented - than the sides we have been putting out there over the last two or three years. In 2007, to use one year as a case in point, we had Thomas, Davis, Didak, Clement, Buckley, Cloke, Swan, Rocca, Licuria, Fraser, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo, Wakelin, Lockyer Maxwell and a young Pendlebury. That is more than an "OK list" - it was a team built from the draft picks of 1999-2001. They were well-coached, though that did not stop the Dunning Kreugers on this board from calling for Malthouse to be sacked on a regular basis.

Those teams of hardened vets cannot remotely be compared in their development cycle with the group of rookies we have had to put out there since the Footscray game. Maynard, Crocker, Grundy, Marsh, Goodyear/phillips, Cox and Smith and Degoey are all trying to build their careers. No coach would make that side, at this stage of their development, into a team that was much above bottom 4. When we had three or four good players back in, we beat the Cats and had the Dogs "dodging a bullet".

I understand that these days are frustrating, but there are plenty of reasons -on exposed form - to be hopeful, and i believe that the best way to disrupt that development is probably to sack the coach. Am i certain ? No, I do not share the ludicrous certainty of the torchlight and pitchforks brigade - but on the data, on some positive victories when we were half-way to well-equipped - I judge it is worth fighting for.

Buckley's had 5 years to build a list, Mick took over a wooden spoon team, **** off!

The rewriting of history by some is just astounding. The list has been in far better shape than in 06-09 years. We used plenty of players in those years and had plenty of injuries. Not to mention the retirees in that period included bucks, burns, clement, wakelin, Caracalla, holland, licuria, Rocca and Tarrant was shipped off to Fremantle. The team should have bottomed out. It didn't. We stayed in the top 8 during the rebuild and dominated 2010/11 seasons as a result. That's what a great coach can do.

Bucks has proven he can't produce results when the chips are down. Our team are front runners. Downhill skiers. When it gets hard they give up. There is no resilience as demonstrated by the 2006-09 sides. That's no opinion. Just fact.

Absolutely correct.
The only barnyard noises we hear from the "perceptive fellow" is... hee haww!

At least we are not as djumb and silly enough to compare the cats list of injuries too our long list, On yours, I saw only one player I had heard of and that was duckwoods brother the rest were just unknowns,. You failed miserably on that one, good n proper. Cool

You didn't understand what I was talking about.
I was talking about the quantity not the quality!
Wishful thinking about me being dumb!
I could really let it rip but I won't.

So you compare unknown dudes to guys like Moore, fasolo, taylor adams, swan, Elliott, sorry, you have failed yet again, we have young guys like ramsay injured too. If you lack facts, you can hardly let rip. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:36 pm

thompsoc wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Crickets Chirping

No that is the social club!

Classic Smile
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The 2006-2009 squads were vastly more experienced and established - and more basically talented - than the sides we have been putting out there over the last two or three years. In 2007, to use one year as a case in point, we had Thomas, Davis, Didak, Clement, Buckley, Cloke, Swan, Rocca, Licuria, Fraser, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo, Wakelin, Lockyer Maxwell and a young Pendlebury. That is more than an "OK list" - it was a team built from the draft picks of 1999-2001. They were well-coached, though that did not stop the Dunning Kreugers on this board from calling for Malthouse to be sacked on a regular basis.

Those teams of hardened vets cannot remotely be compared in their development cycle with the group of rookies we have had to put out there since the Footscray game. Maynard, Crocker, Grundy, Marsh, Goodyear/phillips, Cox and Smith and Degoey are all trying to build their careers. No coach would make that side, at this stage of their development, into a team that was much above bottom 4. When we had three or four good players back in, we beat the Cats and had the Dogs "dodging a bullet".

I understand that these days are frustrating, but there are plenty of reasons -on exposed form - to be hopeful, and i believe that the best way to disrupt that development is probably to sack the coach. Am i certain ? No, I do not share the ludicrous certainty of the torchlight and pitchforks brigade - but on the data, on some positive victories when we were half-way to well-equipped - I judge it is worth fighting for.

Buckley's had 5 years to build a list, Mick took over a wooden spoon team, **** off!

The rewriting of history by some is just astounding. The list has been in far better shape than in 06-09 years. We used plenty of players in those years and had plenty of injuries. Not to mention the retirees in that period included bucks, burns, clement, wakelin, Caracalla, holland, licuria, Rocca and Tarrant was shipped off to Fremantle. The team should have bottomed out. It didn't. We stayed in the top 8 during the rebuild and dominated 2010/11 seasons as a result. That's what a great coach can do.

Bucks has proven he can't produce results when the chips are down. Our team are front runners. Downhill skiers. When it gets hard they give up. There is no resilience as demonstrated by the 2006-09 sides. That's no opinion. Just fact.

Absolutely correct.

At least we are not as djumb and silly enough to compare the cats list of injuries too our long list, On yours, I saw only one player I had heard of and that was duckwoods brother the rest were just unknowns,. You failed miserably on that one, good n proper. Cool

The suggestion that our season was de-railed by injury is rather undercut by looking at the ladder positions of the garbage that we played early in the season and how poorly we performed against it. Swans aside, we were rather lucky to beat Richmond by a point (they have 5 wins and 7 losses and are 13th) and lost to St Kilda (5 and 7 - and 12th), even though they were cut down by injury during the game, and Melbourne (6 and 7, and 10th - and it is worth observing that two of their wins have been against Collingwood).

In truth, our form was horrible before the run of injuries.

P4S, that is the actual case for the prosecution. It is a pity that the negativist cheer squad (let's call it the sad squad) do not engage in this kind of evidential discussion more often, preferring instead one-liners, slogans and barnyard noises.

We were horrible in the first part of the year, and it's much more reasonable to question Buckley's competence over the performance at that time than it is to whine about the performance post Footscray, which has been based on a side where the bottom 6 would expect to be running around in the scoobies.

I'm prepared to indulge the idea that the first part of this year was a function of a newish team of players, many of whom had not played together before, and I think the loss of Elliott and Swan, and injury to Pendlebury weighed very heavily. Pendlebury was playing way below par with a cracked rib, and Collingwood without a firing Pendles has been an iffy proposition since 2010.

I recognise that this is accepting excuses, and it is probably a matter of one's natural disposition toward Buckley, and towards changing coaches. For me, following Collingwood always means more when there is loyalty involved. I would rather be loyal and pretty successful than a mere business with a greater degree of success. It's why I will always love Pendlebury and Swan many times more than Thomas. And Nathan Buckley deserves loyalty for what gave this club, and until there is no doubt that he cannot coach, I'll keep the faith.

He also acts, looks and bears himself like a leader, and that matters. I still believe that time and personnel will heal this, and we'll be grateful we kept him because it is a Collingwood thing to do.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:17 am

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely correct.

The suggestion that our season was de-railed by injury is rather undercut by looking at the ladder positions of the garbage that we played early in the season and how poorly we performed against it. Swans aside, we were rather lucky to beat Richmond by a point (they have 5 wins and 7 losses and are 13th) and lost to St Kilda (5 and 7 - and 12th), even though they were cut down by injury during the game, and Melbourne (6 and 7, and 10th - and it is worth observing that two of their wins have been against Collingwood).

P4S, that is the actual case for the prosecution. It is a pity that the negativist cheer squad (let's call it the sad squad) do not engage in this kind of evidential discussion more often, preferring instead one-liners, slogans and barnyard noises.

We were horrible in the first part of the year, and it's much more reasonable to question Buckley's competence over the performance at that time than it is to whine about the performance post Footscray, which has been based on a side where the bottom 6 would expect to be running around in the scoobies.

I'm prepared to indulge the idea that the first part of this year was a function of a newish team of players, many of whom had not played together before, and I think the loss of Elliott and Swan, and injury to Pendlebury weighed very heavily. Pendlebury was playing way below par with a cracked rib, and Collingwood without a firing Pendles has been an iffy proposition since 2010.

I recognise that this is accepting excuses, and it is probably a matter of one's natural disposition toward Buckley, and towards changing coaches. For me, following Collingwood always means more when there is loyalty involved. I would rather be loyal and pretty successful than a mere business with a greater degree of success. It's why I will always love Pendlebury and Swan many times more than Thomas. And Nathan Buckley deserves loyalty for what gave this club, and until there is no doubt that he cannot coach, I'll keep the faith.

He also acts, looks and bears himself like a leader, and that matters. I still believe that time and personnel will heal this, and we'll be grateful we kept him because it is a Collingwood thing to do.

Plus 1. Well said Mugwump.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely correct.

Does the loyalty question then mean one cannot be dispassionate concerning decision making about coaches?

Mugwump, is there a critical mass at which point loyalty becomes self defeating? Is there a point where the greater collinggood is being compromised by said loyalty?

I've had more positions than than the karma sutra re Buckley & not infrequently in the one match. I think he needs to move on now & let it be at the end of the year.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:34 pm

let what be at the end of the year?

im agreeing with you, i just dont understand that last bit! cheers

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:39 pm

think positive wrote:
let what be at the end of the year?

im agreeing with you, i just dont understand that last bit! cheers

Sorry, this year. although should we lose to Carton again at the G then I might not be so patient

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Well said.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:

no he doesn't
wow what a great argument for clinging on to the most failed coach in the history of the club, because it is a 'collingwood thing to do'
turn it up !
oink oink
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm backing Bucks because we have shown under his coaching that we can match or beat the top sides, when we've got a healthy list. Imo, no other coach is likely to get better performances from our current list. My main frustration is not with Bucks but with our recruiting. Until we recruit a dominant ruckman who can give our midfielders first use of the ball, we will not become a top 4 side.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Are you talking about 2012?
Or the side that blitzed Geelong after not trying against Carlton.

All the players are doing is letting us know they can do it, they just don't want to do it for Bucks.

What else explains the Carlton - Geelong - Port Adelaide variation in effort ?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

I wouldn't entirely ignore the possibility that Geelong were in a flat spot - they were also beaten by Carlton the following week - it just might be that the Port and Carlton games were a more accurate indication of the progress of our team.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm backing Bucks because we have shown under his coaching that we can match or beat the top sides, when we've got a healthy list. Imo, no other coach is likely to get better performances from our current list. My main frustration is not with Bucks but with our recruiting. Until we recruit a dominant ruckman who can give our midfielders first use of the ball, we will not become a top 4 side.

Haven't Hawthorn just been a top 4 side 5 years in a row without a dominant ruckman?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Haven't Hawthorn just been a top 4 side 5 years in a row without a dominant ruckman?

Hale, McEvoy and even Ceglar are all better tap ruckmen than any of our rucks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 30 of 110   

Jump to: