Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Bucks should get a contract extension until the end of 2019. That way there can be no murmurings about replacing him. The players will have certainty. Over the past 2 yrs Bucks has shown he is a very good coach by beating top teams against all odds. Even this year, we were just beginning to find our groove after thrashing the Cats, until our season was ended at 3/4 time against the Dogs. The problem has been that injuries have prevented us from generating any consistency. Surely we are due for some good luck on that front.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I reckon Bucks should get a contract extension until the end of 2019. That way there can be no murmurings about replacing him. The players will have certainty. Over the past 2 yrs Bucks has shown he is a very good coach by beating top teams against all odds. Even this year, we were just beginning to find our groove after thrashing the Cats, until our season was ended at 3/4 time against the Dogs. The problem has been that injuries have prevented us from generating any consistency. Surely we are due for some good luck on that front.

Luck at Collingwood?
Rudeboy at your age you know that is not a given at Collingwood.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:10 pm

I do not wish to buy into the rights and wrongs of Buckley as coach, but I notice that opposition fans have stuck the boot into him as a player who gave up premierships at Brisbane in order to play at Collingwood. Then they stuck the boot into him for being a coach who failed as well.

I don't think that anyone in 1993 had any idea about Wayne "Fairy Godfather" Jackson and his grim determination to get his favourite team up at the expense of the rest of the league. This cost us two premierships.

Apart from that there is the career of Kevin Murray, Tony Lockett, Bob Skilton and Robert Flower to consider. Not a premiership between them, even though Lockett switched clubs to get ahead. History is littered with champions who didn't make that one day in September. Brad Johnson played 300 plus games for Footscray with nary a grand final to his name.

There are three players who won a Norm Smith Medal in a losing grand final - Buckley, Ablett and Rioli. None won a flag, but they are all worthy champions.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Until 2019? Even though they only reappointed him for a year when they thought they were going to play finals this year? I hope they're not that silly.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Australia has changed our PMs every year for 5 years. Change is all the vogue.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The 2006-2009 squads were vastly more experienced and established - and more basically talented - than the sides we have been putting out there over the last two or three years. In 2007, to use one year as a case in point, we had Thomas, Davis, Didak, Clement, Buckley, Cloke, Swan, Rocca, Licuria, Fraser, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo, Wakelin, Lockyer Maxwell and a young Pendlebury. That is more than an "OK list" - it was a team built from the draft picks of 1999-2001. They were well-coached, though that did not stop the Dunning Kreugers on this board from calling for Malthouse to be sacked on a regular basis.

Those teams of hardened vets cannot remotely be compared in their development cycle with the group of rookies we have had to put out there since the Footscray game. Maynard, Crocker, Grundy, Marsh, Goodyear/phillips, Cox and Smith and Degoey are all trying to build their careers. No coach would make that side, at this stage of their development, into a team that was much above bottom 4. When we had three or four good players back in, we beat the Cats and had the Dogs "dodging a bullet".

I understand that these days are frustrating, but there are plenty of reasons -on exposed form - to be hopeful, and i believe that the best way to disrupt that development is probably to sack the coach. Am i certain ? No, I do not share the ludicrous certainty of the torchlight and pitchforks brigade - but on the data, on some positive victories when we were half-way to well-equipped - I judge it is worth fighting for.

Buckley's had 5 years to build a list, Mick took over a wooden spoon team, **** off!

The rewriting of history by some is just astounding. The list has been in far better shape than in 06-09 years. We used plenty of players in those years and had plenty of injuries. Not to mention the retirees in that period included bucks, burns, clement, wakelin, Caracalla, holland, licuria, Rocca and Tarrant was shipped off to Fremantle. The team should have bottomed out. It didn't. We stayed in the top 8 during the rebuild and dominated 2010/11 seasons as a result. That's what a great coach can do.

Bucks has proven he can't produce results when the chips are down. Our team are front runners. Downhill skiers. When it gets hard they give up. There is no resilience as demonstrated by the 2006-09 sides. That's no opinion. Just fact.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ all the usual barnyard noises from the defeatists are on display above. Given the low-quality arguments of his detractors, I'm beginning to think he should stay til 2019.

Don't pay the Ferryman, don't even fix a price.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
The 2006-2009 squads were vastly more experienced and established - and more basically talented - than the sides we have been putting out there over the last two or three years. In 2007, to use one year as a case in point, we had Thomas, Davis, Didak, Clement, Buckley, Cloke, Swan, Rocca, Licuria, Fraser, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo, Wakelin, Lockyer Maxwell and a young Pendlebury. That is more than an "OK list" - it was a team built from the draft picks of 1999-2001. They were well-coached, though that did not stop the Dunning Kreugers on this board from calling for Malthouse to be sacked on a regular basis.

Those teams of hardened vets cannot remotely be compared in their development cycle with the group of rookies we have had to put out there since the Footscray game. Maynard, Crocker, Grundy, Marsh, Goodyear/phillips, Cox and Smith and Degoey are all trying to build their careers. No coach would make that side, at this stage of their development, into a team that was much above bottom 4. When we had three or four good players back in, we beat the Cats and had the Dogs "dodging a bullet".

I understand that these days are frustrating, but there are plenty of reasons -on exposed form - to be hopeful, and i believe that the best way to disrupt that development is probably to sack the coach. Am i certain ? No, I do not share the ludicrous certainty of the torchlight and pitchforks brigade - but on the data, on some positive victories when we were half-way to well-equipped - I judge it is worth fighting for.

Buckley's had 5 years to build a list, Mick took over a wooden spoon team, **** off!

The rewriting of history by some is just astounding. The list has been in far better shape than in 06-09 years. We used plenty of players in those years and had plenty of injuries. Not to mention the retirees in that period included bucks, burns, clement, wakelin, Caracalla, holland, licuria, Rocca and Tarrant was shipped off to Fremantle. The team should have bottomed out. It didn't. We stayed in the top 8 during the rebuild and dominated 2010/11 seasons as a result. That's what a great coach can do.

Bucks has proven he can't produce results when the chips are down. Our team are front runners. Downhill skiers. When it gets hard they give up. There is no resilience as demonstrated by the 2006-09 sides. That's no opinion. Just fact.

Absolutely correct.
The only barnyard noises we hear from the "perceptive fellow" is... hee haww!

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:23 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely correct.

At least we are not as djumb and silly enough to compare the cats list of injuries too our long list, On yours, I saw only one player I had heard of and that was duckwoods brother the rest were just unknowns,. You failed miserably on that one, good n proper. Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely correct.

At least we are not as djumb and silly enough to compare the cats list of injuries too our long list, On yours, I saw only one player I had heard of and that was duckwoods brother the rest were just unknowns,. You failed miserably on that one, good n proper. Cool

You didn't understand what I was talking about.
I was talking about the quantity not the quality!
Wishful thinking about me being dumb!
I could really let it rip but I won't.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:11 pm

If it wasn't for the Bombers sanctions we'd be the second worst team in the competition at present, SECOND WORST - 16TH

Should have been sacked last week.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Absolutely correct.

The suggestion that our season was de-railed by injury is rather undercut by looking at the ladder positions of the garbage that we played early in the season and how poorly we performed against it. Swans aside, we were rather lucky to beat Richmond by a point (they have 5 wins and 7 losses and are 13th) and lost to St Kilda (5 and 7 - and 12th), even though they were cut down by injury during the game, and Melbourne (6 and 7, and 10th - and it is worth observing that two of their wins have been against Collingwood).

In truth, our form was horrible before the run of injuries.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Heard a whisper today that the decision has been made. Don't know if it will be mid-season or end of the year, but apparently Bucks' cards have been marked.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Crickets Chirping
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Heard a whisper today that the decision has been made. Don't know if it will be mid-season or end of the year, but apparently Bucks' cards have been marked.

If it's been decided it should be now.

You like this.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 29 of 110   

Jump to: