Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Cam wrote:
Voting with your feet is more about money and foxtel than anything. Footy is losing its tribalism. The golden age is over and the AFL with its fixturing, variable price bs, costs of food etc has killed the golden goose. The pies army was the last vestige of bolted on support, but the twilight games of 14 & 15 killed even that. We have had worse teams and worse coaches than Bucks over the journey, there are other factors that have reduced the bums on seats.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong about attendances Cam. You'll find everyone will return once we start winning again. Look at the average attendances of Collingwood games. Funny how it spikes in the years we perform well and drops in the years that we don't.

Year Games Total Average
2016 21 919,251 43,774
2015 22 1,054,966 47,953
2014 22 1,048,235 47,647
2013 23 1,236,343 53,754
2012 25 1,415,870 56,635
2011 25 1,523,987 60,959
2010 26 1,661,843 63,917
2009 25 1,423,603 56,944
2008 24 1,361,689 56,737
2007 25 1,432,878 57,315
2006 23 1,249,266 54,316
2005 22 1,003,829 45,629
2004 22 977,624 44,437
2003 25 1,342,834 53,713
2002 25 1,323,655 52,946
2001 22 1,083,203 49,236
2000 22 951,346 43,243
1999 22 886,750 40,307
1998 22 1,041,431 47,338
1997 22 1,102,961 50,135
1996 22 924,919 42,042
1995 22 1,033,444 46,975
1994 23 1,071,343 46,580
1993 20 888,130 44,406
1992 23 1,106,678 48,116
1991 22 711,258 32,330
1990 26 1,159,090 44,580

You mean more people go to watch us when we are winning? Who would have thunk it? So you think that the things I listed have zero to do with attendances now and in the future? Given population growth and all we should be expecting averages over 65k plus next time...

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57 pm

The days of big crowds most weeks are gone.
Not just for us winning or losing but for all sides.
I remember my days of country footy.
Go back now and it is such a small crowd in comparison.
I keep saying the mcg as our home ground will become a disaster in future years.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:15 pm

Cam wrote:

You mean more people go to watch us when we are winning? Who would have thunk it? So you think that the things I listed have zero to do with attendances now and in the future? Given population growth and all we should be expecting averages over 65k plus next time...

Every generation thinks that football in their time was the halcyon days. You're no different.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:48 pm

What the? I think football faces a huge battle given the drop off in the under 30s. Outside of Melbourne itself self evident. And it is beginning to show inside it too. People can be members of the Storm, Victory/City, Rebels etc, kids don't kick the footy at recess much. Kids that don't do that rarely play themselves and aren't connecting with the game like the past. There are many many more options for people today than even 10 years ago. Obesity is a problem for a reason despite many kids eating better than we did.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:01 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Cam wrote:

Every generation thinks that football in their time was the halcyon days. You're no different.

I'm not sure how that addresses the question but I'm 56 so exactly what is supposed to be my time?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:10 am

You don't look it...
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:17 am

MagpieBat wrote:
You don't look it...

You silver tongue devil.... Positive thoughts keep you young at heart..
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:05 am

I said you didn't look your age. I didn't say if you looked older or younger than it... Wink Razz
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 am

Cam wrote:
What the? I think football faces a huge battle given the drop off in the under 30s. Outside of Melbourne itself self evident. And it is beginning to show inside it too. People can be members of the Storm, Victory/City, Rebels etc, kids don't kick the footy at recess much. Kids that don't do that rarely play themselves and aren't connecting with the game like the past. There are many many more options for people today than even 10 years ago. Obesity is a problem for a reason despite many kids eating better than we did.

Firstly, no it's not. Over 6 million people have attended 189 games tis year, down 1.3% which is less than the typical average annual movement. The game is in great shape.

Secondly, why do we need kids to kick a ball at recess to connect with the sport? Did you connect with any Olympic sports that you don't actively do? I enjoyed the swimming, sailing and pentathlon, the last two are activities I have never done.

This generation doesn't want kick-to-kick after the siren. They want quality high speed wireless during the game and be able to quickly exit to get home to their high speed internet at home.

We all think the game is in worse shape than in "my day", but the facts are, people today don't covet what we did. They don't want to stand in a outer at Vic Park in the open weather. They want conformable seating, clean urinals, parking close to the venue etc.

The game is stronger than it has ever been, and the fact that it s evolving to meet the needs to its new audience is proof of that. If it stopped to cater for the crusty few, it would struggle like golf is right now, a sport that refused to yield and is now paying a huge price.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 am

The comments on our ladder position falling over 5 years is not an appropriate measure to be taken in isolation I think. By that argument you would suggest the if we had finished 18th, followed by 17th, 16th, etc over 5 years we would be 'improving'.

I would suggest an approach that considered all or far more factors should be considered. It's only 2015 & 16 that we've had 'losing' seasons and we broke even in 2014. As a whole the last 5 years haven't delivered 'success' but you could argue circumstances out of our control have made it much harder.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Everyone on Nicks has their own fixed opinion on Bucks as a coach. I'm not going to attempt to change anyone's opinion. In truth, neither the sadsacks or the lollypop brigade know how good or bad Bucks is as a coach. Only the team and our football department are in a position to make that judgement, from an informed perspective. One thing I'm convinced of is that a team's on field success/failure alone, does not correlate to how good or bad a coach is. Richmond's Tony Jewell won them a flag and was immediately sacked, as was Jezza from Carlton. Remember, team success or failure is the result of a myriad of factors, including the age, experience, quality, injury rate of the players, plus the quality of the coaching team and the entire football department.

However, here are possible scenarios re our coach worth thinking about.

1. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks and we immediately see a qualitative improvement in our performances, with a new game plan, and we win a flag within a couple of years.

2. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks, but the club fails to gather any momentum and we remain a middle rung team for the next few years.

3. After winning just 9 games this season next year we win 12 games (a 33% improvement on 2016), but due to injuries to key players (such as Moore and Grundy), we just miss the finals. Nevertheless, the club is convinced we are heading in the right direction, extends Bucks' contract and we win the flag in 2018.

Whatever happens regarding Bucks position as our coach, I just hope that our club makes an informed decision, rather than responding to external supporter and media pressure.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Everyone on Nicks has their own fixed opinion on Bucks as a coach. I'm not going to attempt to change anyone's opinion. In truth, neither the sadsacks or the lollypop brigade know how good or bad Bucks is as a coach. Only the team and our football department are in a position to make that judgement, from an informed perspective. One thing I'm convinced of is that a team's on field success/failure alone, does not correlate to how good or bad a coach is. Richmond's Tony Jewell won them a flag and was immediately sacked, as was Jezza from Carlton. Remember, team success or failure is the result of a myriad of factors, including the age, experience, quality, injury rate of the players, plus the quality of the coaching team and the entire football department.

1. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks and we immediately see a qualitative improvement in our performances, with a new game plan, and we win a flag within a couple of years.

2. We miss out on the finals again next year, so we replace Bucks, but the club fails to gather any momentum and we remain a middle rung team for the next few years.

3. After winning just 9 games this season next year we win 12 games (a 33% improvement on 2016), but due to injuries to key players (such as Moore and Grundy), we just miss the finals. Nevertheless, the club is convinced we are heading in the right direction, extends Bucks' contract and we win the flag in 2018.

Whatever happens regarding Bucks position as our coach, I just hope that our club makes an informed decision, rather than responding to external supporter and media pressure.

100% right rude
What people fail to forget is that Buckley took over a side that was in top form in terms of performance but had several ageing players plus some borderline contributors.
The rebuild wasn't th coaches idea it was a board directive and we managed to do it without completely bottoming out and being last or close to it for a few years. We managed to stay competitive and finish at worse top 12
It could have been a lot worse. Remeber this rebuild began when there was unprecedented draft concessions given to 2 clubs robbing clubs from getting a fair whack at any talent coming through.
Clubs like Geelong Hawks North Sydney have all added a load of experienced players or in some cases several to stay a float at the top. But that will come to a end as they too will have to rebuild at some stage look at North and the Hawks now there lists are ageing fast and showing the signs of that.
Of all the players we lost or disposed of I think the 2 biggest losses were Shaw & Beams
Buckley has put himself under the pump by what he said and he's right his at th biggest club in the land and results are expected. I don't think Pert did him any favours coming out declaring certain finals appearances as well as premiership window stuff. You don't hear successful clubs speak like that.
Eddie has rightly watered down Buckleys radio comments saying results are only part of the scenario
People can argue about injuries but I think it hasn't been the amount of them so much but who has suffered long term injuries over the last couple years that has crueled us.
Well time will tell whet here he stays or goes and nothing no one on here thinks or screams about will make a lick of difference to Eddie or the board
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:00 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
I said you didn't look your age. I didn't say if you looked older or younger than it... Wink Razz

That actually depends on whether he has that bloody awful beard or not......... Rolling Eyes Cool

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Great post Rude Boy and a balance viewpoint in my opinion.

Buckley will coach the Pies in 2017 and we should continue to support our Club, Team and Coach.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Great post Rude Boy and a balance viewpoint in my opinion.

Buckley will coach the Pies in 2017 and we should continue to support our Club, Team and Coach.

Hooray! Yippee!! Fantastic!!

A post on this thread I fully agree with....... Twisted Evil Razz Laughing Cool

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 87 of 110   

Jump to: