Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Question re. Rules

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:04 pm
Post subject: Question re. RulesReply with quote

For the learned rule followers out there - I have had a cursory look through and have found nothing to refute my belief however will pose the question -

When a player receives a free kick from deliberate out of bounds or out on the full, they are to take the kick directly over the mark. In the instances where they either 'run around' or take too long and the umpire calls 'play on' after hurrying them a couple times, should the ball not be thrown in as per out of bounds? I know it is customary to ignore these situations and the player be allowed to run, or play on but from a rules perspective I don't know if this is correct.

Meaningless question, but something that has always bothered me when a player is out of bounds with ball in hand to take a free kick and the umpire calls play on...
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This question reminds me of a funny situation I witnessed years ago at a country football match at Echuca.
The Opposition player had a free from a deliberate out of bounds on the full.
He was 40 metres from the goals and he decided to take a shot.
Problem No. 1
The football field was surrounded by a bitumen bike track so the player decided to track back around the boundary line to take his shot.
The umpire told him to go back in a direct line to the goals. Trouble was it he had to go back on the bitumen.
Problem No.2
After going back and arguing with the ump he took too long. So the ump called play on even though he was 1o metres up on the bitumen and a good 12 metres outside the boundary line.
The Echuca player run off the mark and tackled him on the bitumen.
The Umpire then called a free for holding the ball.
Now that was weird.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Boundary umps are instructed not to blow the whistle unless the player runs off his line 'or' doesn't move if on immediately when asked to, some boundary umps were calling them out of bounds a few years back,

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:41 pm

The one rule I hate is when a player takes a mark running towards his goal and pretty much gestures to the ump he's going to go back over his mark, then he sees the opposing player drop off and then decides to play on, the opposing player can't touch the player with the ball after the mark is taken or he'll give up 50, and he can't continue to follow the player over the mark or he'll give up 50,

IMO unless the player with the mark plays on instantly he should be made to go back over his mark, some players now are even putting up one hand gesturing to both opponent and umpire they intend to go back and then don't, it's a mixture of poor sportsmanship and poor umpiring,

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:45 pm

I have had the same thought about the boundary line issue. That's not the only anomaly between what the rules say and what the umpires are instructed to do. When I looked at it a couple of years ago the rule in relation to a rushed behind said that if a defender rushed a behind by hand or foot then a free kick was to be paid to the attacking team. There was no reference to being under pressure being a reason not to apply the rule. I don't know how pressure became relevant or how it can be said to be an interpretation of the rule because that interpretation just isn't open. It's more a case of someone deciding that they don't like a rule and applying a different rule. I have wondered about the who and the why of the " interpretation " but don't have an answer.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:51 pm

thompsoc wrote:
This question reminds me of a funny situation I witnessed years ago at a country football match at Echuca.
Problem No. 1
The football field was surrounded by a bitumen bike track so the player decided to track back around the boundary line to take his shot.
The umpire told him to go back in a direct line to the goals. Trouble was it he had to go back on the bitumen.
Problem No.2
After going back and arguing with the ump he took too long. So the ump called play on even though he was 1o metres up on the bitumen and a good 12 metres outside the boundary line.
Now that was weird.

Were the footballers on the track during the bell lap?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:41 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Problem No. 1
Problem No.2
Now that was weird.

When the ball holder hit the bitumen I reckon he heard the bell..
and crowd went ohhhh!!!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm

that umpire wasn't ray chamberlain by any chance?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:47 pm

I understand.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:03 pm

John Wren wrote:
that umpire wasn't ray chamberlain by any chance?

Wasn't as sharp as razor more like a Seinfeld character from crazy New York.
Maybe it was Cramer!

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:08 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Problem No. 1
Problem No.2
Now that was weird.

Was your name taken from Ricky Barham?
I thought he got 5 goals on debut....true or false!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:02 pm

Pies v Hawks, wooden spooners v reigning premiers, Princes Park, early in season 1977. A young recruit wearing no. 43 for the Pies lined up against Rodney Eade on the wing and gave Eade what was probably the biggest hiding in his career. I vividly remember him running down the ground faster than I had ever seen a Pies player move, taking a few bounces and slotting his first goal. Half of the crowd then dived into their Footy Records to see who the unknown kid was. The effort was repeated and he finished with 5. The headline that followed in The Sporting Globe was"Quick Rick Pies Wonder Boy". He may have been named on the bench the week before but it was his first full game so it was close enough to a debut. As a young fella I was in the crowd with my dad& uncle and will never forget it.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:05 am

in all seriousness, the rule is simple. when play on is called, the player is allowed to re-establish his position on the field by immediately running in a straight line, I think.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:19 am

E wrote:
in all seriousness, the rule is simple. when play on is called, the player is allowed to re-establish his position on the field by immediately running in a straight line, I think.

If the kick is on the boundary next to the players race and he backs up into the race to take the kick, then play on is called, how long is "immediately
" to take the kick? Can an opponent then chase him up the race to tackle him? These are the sorts of issues that occur when the game doesn't apply the rules as they are written.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:41 pm

If play on is called while the player and ball are still outside the boundary line, surely it would just revert to a throw in. The ball is outside the field of play at that point (ie. a dead ball) so how can a tackle count?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: