Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1990 AFL Grand Final - 3AW or ABC 774 commentary?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 am
Post subject: 1990 AFL Grand Final - 3AW or ABC 774 commentary?Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the 3AW or ABC commentary of the 1990 AFL Grand Final.

The ABC commentary has been discussed on Nicks a few times and was wondering if anyone has a copy.

I am guessing it is most likely on cassette tape, but if we could get it online somehow that would be awesome!

There is this old thread where the ABC put a portion of the 2nd Quarter online but the link is now dead 1990 Last Qtr Revisited: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=32336

Ben Smile

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Roy and HG on Triple J.

http://www.royandhg.com/guestbook

Quote:
Emil
Sat, 25/09/2010 - 14:36
Dear Roy & HG

I remember you superlative commentary of the “Peace through Violence” AFL Grand Final in 1990. You picked a small incident at the end of the first quarter, while McAvaney etc (not George Grljusich) went for tea & scones. HG picked up every punch, kick, elbow and head butt of all 36 players and runners conveying every one to the listener. Roy is the only bloke wise enough to know it’s the kind of stuff that fills footy stadiums in September. This type of insight (plus picking up Baa Baa’s sweet punch on Ellery Hanley, when it’s still a mystery to the ARL) explains why you got an Order of Australia and others didn’t.

So I would have thought on the 20th anniversary of “Peace through Violence” Triple M would have you commentating instead of a bloke who kisses fish and throws them back instead of killing them and reckons he played footy! No wonder he only won two bloody flags, no killer instinct! Probably spent his time running away from Lethal Leigh! Even got the National Anthem completely wrong – where’s Lionel Rose? Ulladulla?
I wouldn't be surprised to see a "Hitler's Reaction to Hearing Roy & HG Aren't doing the GF this Year" land on YouTube. All the players are disappointed they can’t get an authoritative commentary on the GF to play on mad Monday. What are your views Roy & HG?

Stop Press: The AFL has a once in a life time chance to flick McAvaney and get some real commentary for the replay. Has Andrew Demetriou rung up to re-schedule? Do you think all pre-Grand Final events, breakfast, parade, Moomba etc, etc should be re-run? Will you be having Twiggy Dunne on as a special guest? No wonder Mick Malthouse is cranky, it’s not the 14 behinds the Pies kicked, plus 4 sitters missed, it’s no Roy and HG tape to listen to for next week’s game!
Regards etc

Emil.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:57 am

I do indeed have the abc commentary of the 1990 grand final. it was sold at the abc shops on cassette in 1990. It is on 2 cassettes, but sadly the second cassette jams a bit. I tried to play it along side the channel 7 footage with the sound turned down but it"s not quite in sync, shows how technology has changed over the years.
Anyway please pm me if you are a computer magician as I think that all stuff from previous eras should go on line.
Sorry piedys, i didn't get back to you about Collingwood v Carlton 1988, but i'm pretty right at the moment, thanks anyway.
Speaking of which, does ANYone have a copy of 1958 grand final last quarter?
Alien 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Assume you have seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_G79mPhrc
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes i sure have. That U tube footage is the reason we must all strive to get this stuff from the past on line - unforgettable.

Oddly i have in my possession footage from the last quarter 1958 preliminary final, which came in a package "North - Fantastic Footy Flashbacks".

The Pies had already kicked 14 goals to 5 so North made a big comeback, featured in the footage.

the 1958 grand final, last quarter is available on tv replay "Fantastic Footy Flashbacks" somewhere, but nobody seems to have found it. I live in hope. but with all these premierships floating around - 1990, 2010 and the 1979 and 2011 night cups, it doesn't matter so much as it did in say, 1981.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm looking for the 1903 premiership replay. I'm hoping to get it HD if someone would be so kind as to upload it.
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Tannin wrote:
I'm looking for the 1903 premiership replay. I'm hoping to get it HD if someone would be so kind as to upload it.

Not a patch on the 1902 GF, however 1917 was pretty bloody good as well.
I'm looking for the 1935,36 back to back special edition.

VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:06 pm

It would be easy to convert the cassette tape to mp3. I can help if anyone has the cassettes.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 am

regan is true fullback or Magpie Greg are you able to get your tape copy converted somehow?

VicParkTragic maybe?

Would love to track down an old copy of this somehow anyways Smile

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:57 am

stoliboy wrote:
regan is true fullback or Magpie Greg are you able to get your tape copy converted somehow?

VicParkTragic maybe?

Would love to track down an old copy of this somehow anyways Smile

You need a PC, a cassette player and a program you can download online called "Polderbits" (it's Dutch and costs about $50 for a one-time lifetime download). Then attach a cord from the earphone jack on the cassette player to your computer microphone jack, play the cassette into the Polderbits gizmo you have downloaded, then press convert and it becomes an MP3.

jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 pm

I've got a cassette from 1990 which has a song on one side to the tune of 'and the band played waltzing matilda' and about 45sec of 3AW highlights on the other.
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 am

Not sure if you are still looking for the 3AW call but guess what my dad gave me on the weekend. Two tapes of the 1990 GF 3AW.

I haven't got a tape recorder, (how funny considering I'm an old fart) however I remember the broadcast like it was yesterday because when I listened to it for the first time in 1990, I was living in London and I recieved the tapes on Xmas Eve. I had seen a replay about a month later but because the tape ran out, I never saw the Tony raising the cup and all the fantatic stuff that happens after the game. I tell you the 300 collingwood supporters, stuffed into a pub, looking up at a 12inch screen and the tape cuts out were not very happy. I can't even remember how I got home that night. Anyhow to cut a story short It was the best bloody Xmas I ever had, totally smashed, oblivious of the mayhem around me as I transposed myself for 2 hours back to australia. I even have a photo of the time, It was for many years the only evidence I had of how happy I was. Very sad I know, however it would repeat itself in 2010, when I was in Thailand!!!!!! Guess what we won that to. anyone want to pay for me to go overseas this year??

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 am

Awesome present.

Well if you ever find time (and a tape recorder... who has those anymore or blank tapes) upload a copy or send one through.

What parts stand out in the call? What does the fight at quarter time sound like?

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 pm
Post subject: YeahReply with quote

I was at the game but heard the reply of the 3AW call with the great Rex Hunt. I can never forget his call that there is a fight on the half forward line and there are no players involved. Leigh Mathews, Police, Committeemen, and the lolly boy. That was quarter time when the great Neal Daniher punched out Gavin Brown. Neal went on to be a coach at Collingwood .
taff wa 

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm
Post subject: Re: YeahReply with quote

[quote="Hiss"]I was at the game but heard the reply of the 3AW call with the great Rex Hunt. I can never forget his call that there is a fight on the half forward line and there are no players involved. Leigh Mathews, Police, Committeemen, and the lolly boy. That was quarter time when the great Neal Daniher punched out Gavin Brown. Neal went on to be a coach at Collingwood .[/quote]

It wasn't neale Daniher it was terry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: