Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Euro 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

And at 1-all, it's extra time to come. Neither Portugal nor Poland really looked like scoring in that second half.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:32 am

Penalties it is, then.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:46 am

Portugal win 5:4 on penalties. Poland out, Portugal into the semifinals, to play either Belgium or Wales (tomorrow morning's quarter final).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:47 am

Vicente Del Bosque has quit as Spanish Manager.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Vicente Del Bosque has quit as Spanish Manager.

Coached the national team for eight years with plenty of success, especially in the first four years of his tenure.

Euro 2008 - WINNER
World Cup 2010 - WINNER
Euro 2012 - WINNER

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36648686

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes, it's been a depressing era for those of us who can't stand Spanish soccer - but there may be good times ahead. I saw Iniesta miss a pass during one of Spain's games (I haven't seen him miss one for Barcelona this century), so maybe the end is near.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Spain's dominance in international football ended in 2014 when they were knocked out of the group stages of the World Cup.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:56 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ That's right. Ronaldo might make a major final without facing the might of Iceland.

It's Poland v Portugal and Belgium v Wales (winners to play in one semi) and, on the other side of the draw, Italy v Germany for the right to take on Iceland (who will smite France) in the other semi.

I'm hoping for a Wales v Iceland Final. That'd be an appropriate reward for UEFA contriving to organise a competition in which the Dutch could fail to qualify.

Your hope of a Wales v Iceland Final just got that one step closer, as a brilliant Wales defeat Belgium 3-1. Two second half goals from Championship players from Reading (Robson-Kanu) and Burnley (Vokes) sink Belgium.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:17 am

sixpoints wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^ That's right. Ronaldo might make a major final without facing the might of Iceland.

It's Poland v Portugal and Belgium v Wales (winners to play in one semi) and, on the other side of the draw, Italy v Germany for the right to take on Iceland (who will smite France) in the other semi.

I'm hoping for a Wales v Iceland Final. That'd be an appropriate reward for UEFA contriving to organise a competition in which the Dutch could fail to qualify.

Your hope of a Wales v Iceland Final just got that one step closer, as a brilliant Wales defeat Belgium 3-1. Two second half goals from Championship players from Reading (Robson-Kanu) and Burnley (Vokes) sink Belgium.

Typical of any tournament, you start losing players as it goes on.
For Belgium to play without Verthongen & Vermaelen scuppered their defence (that already was missing Kompany).
The Welsh will miss Ramsey against Portugal who is now suspended.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:51 am

So, Portugal v Wales in the Silly Semi. It only remains for us to find out tomorrow morning whether italy or Germany will face the Puffin Warriors in the Actual Semi after they smite France 23:0.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Some great goals this morning. A stunning rocket by Belgium's Nainggolan, Welsh Robson-Kanu scoring after bamboozling 3 defenders with a lightning turn and the late, centimetre perfect header from Vokes to seal the game when his team was under intense pressure. Very enjoyable viewing, the Welsh fans created an amazing atmosphere. Felt like I was in amongst it!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:51 pm

It wasn't quite as spectacular following it on the Guardian's blog. That's Euro2016Freetoair for you! Lucky the Puffineaters game is live on Monday morning or ... Well, I don't really know what. At least with Germany and Italy, I've seen them play so many times that I can imagine it quite well without needing to see it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:10 pm

I'd have thought a sports nut like you would have foxtel? Looking forward to tomorrow mornings game, it's hard to go past the Germans but they always seem to bring out the best in the Italians. Should be epic
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 pm

No, Frankie, there's mostly enough sport that interests me available on FTA. It's only these major international soccer competitions that I'd like to see all of - somehow, it makes it more fun to get into the rhythm of the tournament by seeing all the games. I've occasionally thought about getting an NFL-pass to watch Green Bay but I know I wouldn't have time to watch it, anyway - but if the local networks here stopped showing it, that'd be something I'd have to think about long and hard.

Otherwise, the only thing I really miss in sports broadcasting is the brilliant 50-minutes-per-week coverage of the Serie A that SBS ran in the 80s and 90s. I always thought the Italian League was the best in those days because the defenders were so good - it mostly required a complete genius to score a goal in any game. I remember one of the commentators describing the Juve team that won in about 1995 (with Baggio, Vialli, Ravanelli, Dschamps, Conte etc etc) as "a team of painters and decorators" - I didn't barrack for them but, boy, were they a joy to watch!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Yes, remember the show, the team and the players very well, I was a big bianconeri fan, especially through the mid to late 90's. It was a particularly good era for them in Serie A (a shame they only netted the one League championship), in stark contrast to our own black & white here. Only have a passing interest now but I'm always keen on the Euros and World Cup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12   

Jump to: