Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Quid est veritas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:38 am
Post subject: Quid est veritasReply with quote

the truth according to pendles ...

Quote:
"That has been the biggest turnaround the last two weeks. Structurally we haven't done anything different it's just that we are working a lot harder for each other on the ground.

http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-revival-came-after-players-put-more-skin-in-the-game-says-captain-scott-pendlebury-20160524-gp2ysr.html

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all got to do with "Leading Teams". Despite what many think about the way Leading Teams is done. It makes players accept responsibility and makes them accountable to their team mates. There is no cliques (Corrected) with leading teams. Everyone is accountable.

Last edited by Culprit on Wed May 25, 2016 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 am

Never learnt Latin [chose instead French] but this one I like for our season

de Virtute in virtutem

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:38 am

facta non verba.

i had the mis/fortune of studying seven years of latin at school.

what makes me scratch my head is the lull in performance up until the brisbane game. how the players didn't "tip in" until then suggests there might have been fractures within the group. the lack of cohesion and connection was evident and commented on at the time. the article also suggests not much other than effort has changed which dispels the notions of a changed structure etc as has been put forward by some observations.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am
Post subject: Re: Quid est veritasReply with quote

John Wren wrote:

Quote:
"That has been the biggest turnaround the last two weeks. Structurally we haven't done anything different it's just that we are working a lot harder for each other on the ground.

http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-revival-came-after-players-put-more-skin-in-the-game-says-captain-scott-pendlebury-20160524-gp2ysr.html

16th in the league for playing on with a mark/free kick before Saturday.
And what did we do on Saturday.... we played on at every opportunity and embraced fast footy.
It only takes one instruction from the coach ...play on at all costs but keep believing nothing changed except harder work...yeah, I believe in fairies.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:24 am

thompsoc, look I admire your passion although I disagree with some of your assertions. I can handle that.

Did you think before your posted. Yes Pendles could be talking crap, but why not accept it at face value? "16th for playing on before Saturday", ok I'll accept that as fact, so the fact that we are now showing a more aggressive mode of play doesn't necessarily mean the instruction changed. I read that as they are now obeying "give him something" rather than standing flat-footed. Perhaps the players now have more confidence that others up the ground will bust a gut to get the ball.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 am

thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Quote:

And what did we do on Saturday.... we played on at every opportunity and embraced fast footy.
It only takes one instruction from the coach ...play on at all costs but keep believing nothing changed except harder work...yeah, I believe in fairies.

Haha is it really that hard for the club to say "we've got a few injuries back, and we've tweaked the game plan, the coaches are coaching better, directing the players more at training and the players are also putting in more"?

It just reads like the whole club is about protecting Buckley's legacy and coaching career.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:32 am

AnthonyC wrote:
thompsoc, look I admire your passion although I disagree with some of your assertions. I can handle that.

Did you think before your posted. Yes Pendles could be talking crap, but why not accept it at face value? "16th for playing on before Saturday", ok I'll accept that as fact, so the fact that we are now showing a more aggressive mode of play doesn't necessarily mean the instruction changed. I read that as they are now obeying "give him something" rather than standing flat-footed. Perhaps the players now have more confidence that others up the ground will bust a gut to get the ball.

That was a good response.
no abuse and no sniping.
So well done with that.
Listen, 95% of the structures and game day plan remain.
We zoned less on Saturday.
We did not go backwards with our ball movement much on Saturday.
We switched the ball a little more.
We had more men around the stoppages
We played on more
We lowered our eyes more
We took more risks going through the mid field.
Now, don't tell me that we didn't change our game a little bit.
It only takes one instruction from the coach.
Play on, take risks, lower your eyes and get to every stoppage.
AFL isn't the NFL and it really is a simple game in most aspects.

Last edited by thompsoc on Wed May 25, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:34 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
[quote="thompsoc"][quote="John Wren"]the truth according to pendles ...

[quote]"That has been the biggest turnaround the last two weeks. Structurally we haven't done anything different it's just that we are working a lot harder for each other on the ground.[/quote]

http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-revival-came-after-players-put-more-skin-in-the-game-says-captain-scott-pendlebury-20160524-gp2ysr.html[/quote]

It only takes one instruction from the coach ...play on at all costs but keep believing nothing changed except harder work...yeah, I believe in fairies.[/quote]

DP
I've lost it, Krakouer Magic. Are we still talking about [quote] httptheagedot comdot auaflafl-newscollingwood-revival-came-after-players-put-more-skin-in-the-game-says-captain-scott-pendlebury-20160524-gp2ysr ? What do you say to people who believe fairies does not exist?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:45 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Quote:

Haha is it really that hard for the club to say "we've got a few injuries back, and we've tweaked the game plan, the coaches are coaching better, directing the players more at training and the players are also putting in more"?

It just reads like the whole club is about protecting Buckley's legacy and coaching career.

Yep I agree.
Now, lets just sit back and wait for the Sage of Bendigo, Jackcass, to put his politically correct spin on things.
And I wonder what little dig will come with it.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 am

The fact that we are not getting scored against on a regular basis from a kick out would suggest we are structurally different to before. The fact that teams are now finding it much harder to escape their back half also suggests players are not merely guarding space.
Sure I agree the efforts from the players has increased, but I have no doubt some tweaks to our structures have been implemented over the last couple of weeks.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:40 am

The thing we still need to improve on is stopping marks inside our defensive 50!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 am

Oh, thing we need to improve on is.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 am

woftam wrote:
The fact that we are not getting scored against on a regular basis from a kick out would suggest we are structurally different to before. The fact that teams are now finding it much harder to escape their back half also suggests players are not merely guarding space.
Sure I agree the efforts from the players has increased, but I have no doubt some tweaks to our structures have been implemented over the last couple of weeks.

the kick outs have definitely changed
Not many 15m kicks to the dead pocket.
More Heath Shaw style.
Hey, we even got a coast to coast goal with Grundy on a kick out!!!!
Outstanding son outstanding!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:03 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Quote:

Yep I agree.
Now, lets just sit back and wait for the Sage of Bendigo, Jackcass, to put his politically correct spin on things.
And I wonder what little dig will come with it.

They may be taking the incorrect approach. They may be making terrible decisions on every issue, every time a decision is taken. But I find it bordering upon the absurd for people to posit that "the whole club is about protecting Buckley's legacy and coaching career".

Doesn't Pendlebury want to win another premiership?

Did Treloar, Aish, Adams, Greenwood, White and Howe come to Collingwood because they wanted to help Buckley out?

Surely all of these things are done and said because - irrespective of what we think - the people who say them and do them, for the most part, believe them to be correct? I accept, of course, that there are some people whose fortunes are, to some extent, linked to Buckley's and that those people might be inclined to "spin". But why the Captain?

I don't profess to understand the nuances of what's been going on at the football club but I've watched enough footy over the last half-century to be able to say that it looked to me that Collingwood lost to a Carlton team about half as talented as them because quite a few players didn't work hard enough. Essentially, that seems to be part of Pendlebury's message - and it accords with what I thought I saw with my own eyes, so why does it have to be subterfuge covering an ulterior purpose, rather than what Pendlebury thinks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: