Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We will make the 8

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great performance on the weekend against a so-called premiership contender but some supporters are getting ahead of themselves already. This team has demonstrated that it's capable of matching it with the top sides on a good day but the question of consistency will come into play.

I don't think we'll finish top 8 this year but after the Bulldogs game this weekend, it may give us a clearer indication of where things are heading. If we can back up with another good performance then I'll start to become more convinced that we're tracking along well but if we regress to the putrid levels we dished up in the first seven rounds then I'll be skeptical about the potential prospect of playing finals.

I think the losses to St.Kilda and Carlton will comeback to bite us in the end but if we're able to push and hover close to the top 8 by seasons end then I'll be optimistic about our prospects in 2017.

As I've said elsewhere, a full review of the club is still necessary at seasons end and I still have concerns about the coaching staff getting the best out of our playing group but the last two weeks have been much better and a positive step forward for what has been a tough start so far.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Brenny wrote:
^ You know what shits me the most with the Hawthorn v Pies game... R23 is the first time we play them. Now I don't mind leaving the Hawks to what may be a scrap match... but man, we shouldn't have to wait to R23 to play a team first.

I just don't want that game to be a 'we need to win to make the eight'.

why not? what better test. And if that scenario was to unfold and we beat them to make it...then what a way to enter the finals.

Its an unlikely scenario regardless.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Put it this way. We've done this year backwards, had our loss of form and all the injuries early rather than later. So if we can maintain the standard we've set the last two weeks and start to get injured players back available for selection, we're a definite chance.

There's some big 'IF's in there, but finals was the goal before the season started and it's still possible.

The good thing is, if we do make it we'll deserve to be there and will run into the finals (hopefully) in form and with a fitter list so we'll be well placed to do some damage.

The field this year is wide open. The Dogs have injuries, the Hawks are just there, the Roos are playing well but no one believes yet, The Giants are good but young and inexperienced. Anything can happen yet.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
but finals was the goal before the season started

With respect, for some posters (maybe most on reflection) it was. However pre-season a few of us picked Collingwood to be anywhere from 6 - 12. As per normal, it was all utter speculation based on hope after a good NAB series. I guess you kinda have to have high hopes before a season.

stui magpie wrote:
The good thing is, if we do make it we'll deserve to be there and will run into the finals (hopefully) in form and with a fitter list so we'll be well placed to do some damage.

The field this year is wide open. The Dogs have injuries, the Hawks are just there, the Roos are playing well but no one believes yet, The Giants are good but young and inexperienced. Anything can happen yet.

Exactly right. Anything can happen yet and time will tell. The current betting is that we'll probably just miss out but it is theoretically possible.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:34 pm

^

Not just posters, I'm pretty sure the club stated that the goal was to play finals this year, with the expectation being to start causing damage in the finals from 2017 onward.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Not just posters, I'm pretty sure the club stated that the goal was to play finals this year, with the expectation being to start causing damage in the finals from 2017 onward.

I must have missed the bit where the club said that pre season stui magpie. I was away overseas for a few weeks until the first round. However I believe you.
I always thought that we "could" make the bottom half of the Finals this season but wasn't all that confident. I never am when making speculative predictions. Cool

I was right last year when I predicted pre season that we wouldn't make the Finals but I wasn't very happy about it coming true..... Rolling Eyes

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Yeah, I'm not going digging for quotes. In the end, the aim was to see progress up the ladder. Last year was supposed to be our bottom and this year we start the climb back to contention.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Lazza wrote:

stui magpie wrote:

Exactly right. Anything can happen yet and time will tell. The current betting is that we'll probably just miss out but it is theoretically possible.

Bookies have the current top 8 locked with Adelaide @ $1.22 the roughest to stay there. We're next in the betting @ $6

Shocked

Wasn't there some pommy soccer team at 5000/1 that snuck a prize in? Wink

The win over Geelong has seen us firm from 250/1 to 80/1 for the flag.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Brenny wrote:
^ You know what shits me the most with the Hawthorn v Pies game... R23 is the first time we play them. Now I don't mind leaving the Hawks to what may be a scrap match... but man, we shouldn't have to wait to R23 to play a team first.

I just don't want that game to be a 'we need to win to make the eight'.

i think the afl had banked on us being in the eight at that point.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Tell me more about first time we play them.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Bulldogs- Win
Power- Win
Melbourne - Win
Dockers - Win
Carlton - Win
Giants SPO- Loss
Adelaide AO - Loss
North - Win
West coast- Win
Richmond - Win
Bulldogs- Win
Suns - Win
Hawthorn- Loss

There's 10 wins, and I actually think we'll beat the Hawks in round 23.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Long shots to make the 8 after not taking full advantage of our early draw, doable but unlikely at this stage.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Bulldogs- Win
Power- Win
Melbourne - Win
Dockers - Win
Carlton - Win
Giants SPO- Loss
Adelaide AO - Loss
North - Win
West coast- Win
Richmond - Win
Bulldogs- Win
Suns - Win
Hawthorn- Loss

You're underestimating too many sides here. Based on current form:

Round 10 (Bulldogs) - 50/50 (we will be underdogs)
Round 11 (Power) - WIN
Round 12 (Demons) - 50/50
Round 14 (Dockers) - WIN
Round 15 (Blues) - WIN
Round 16 (Giants) - LOSS
Round 17 (Crows) - LOSS
Round 18 (Roos) - LOSS (playing at Etihad)
Round 19 (Eagles) - 50/50
Round 20 (Tigers) - 50/50 (depends on Richmond's form)
Round 21 (Bulldogs) - LOSS (playing at Etihad)
Round 22 (Suns) - WIN
Round 23 (Hawks) - 50/50 (depends on Hawthorn's form but we will be clear underdogs).

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Bulldogs- Win
Power- Win
Melbourne - Win
Dockers - Win
Carlton - Win
Giants SPO- Loss
Adelaide AO - Loss
North - Win
West coast- Win
Richmond - Win
Bulldogs- Win
Suns - Win
Hawthorn- Loss

if we maintain the form shown on saturday then i think you're not far off the mark.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:45 am

Love to make the finals, and stick it right up old man MM, and that PIe hating jerk Damien barratt, and robbo and caro too. Not to mention some around here on Nicks too.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: