Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Stories - Side by Side - Black & White

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:24 pm
Post subject: Collingwood Stories - Side by Side - Black & WhiteReply with quote

Yesterday I bloke came up to me when I was lined up for tickets for my kids and I, and let me in on his son's membership because his son couldn't attend. Saved me $25. Lovely gesture from another member of the Black n White Army.

The Jarryd Roughhead news was on the tv and my sons Leon and Fraser were also watching. At the end of it, Fraser [12] asks me, "I know its bad for him, but do we care about that?" I said to him, "Spoken like a true Collingwood supporter son, answer: not really."

Add your own!

On the March 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying Cam but that's a bit harsh about Roughy.

On your main point though I will never forget coming to the first (drawn) ANZAC day match in 1995. I wandered around and around the ground with my 5 year old daughter along with thousands of others realizing I wasn't going to get in.

Then out of the blue someone wandered over and gave me a ticket for both of us. His wife and daughter couldn't turn up. What's more he wouldnt take any money. Such a great game that both of us still talk about today.

Absolutely awesome. Smile
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I would have expected different (and personally a bit better) from my son.
Football is just a game, life is pretty real.
Each to their own.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:23 pm

I doubt if Roughie will ever play again, hes not worried about footy now, now its all about life, and just living. He has a long road too hoe, wish him all the best. BUT, as for his team, I utterly loathe and despise them, like all of us.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Well I'm pretty disgusted. That a 12 year old would ask that (I'd expect more of my child) but more so, your reply is $£$%^%%$ disgusting. I don't like roughey on the field, a typical run through you hawthorn (champion), but shit mate, compassion costs nothing. And then to boast about in on a website. WTF!

Do you have any idea what it is like to face this shit down, not just once but twice? Hearing that word, and then hearing the even worse M word? Let me tell you. It's ice cold steel that goes to your soul, a sheer utter terror that never quite leaves. And then every time they tell you it's gone, after the first time, you just can't believe it. My husband has cancer, and its been back twice, it's now in remission but we know it won't last. And every three months we go back to the doc, with that bloody cold steel of fear shooting through our core, is this it? Will it be back to stay this time? Or do we get to try and live for another three months without being consumed by it. But hey, he's a bulldog fan so stuff him. Or maybe my brother in law and his wife, both diagnosed since Christmas, one with kidney cancer that is already in his liver, do the research, that's borrowed time, the wife has bowel cancer, she's 1/3 of the way through dual radiation and chemo, the chemo is plugged in 5 days a week, 24 hours a day. The same day we got her news, we got news of my brothers sisters breast cancer. Thankfully this ones early. But now of course with all that she has to under go gene testing, just in case it might be past on to the kids. But hey, they are all bulldog fans, so who cares? How about my magpie girls? Do you have any idea what it's like to be 20-22 and wondering if you've been passed a time bomb?

Football is just a game, one I love so deeply it's crazy, and yet it comes a far distant 2nd to this horrible news effecting someone I will probably never meet. Football has given me so much salvation these last 7 very $£$%^%%$ hard years. I yell, I scream, pain you cannot imagine. It's my release, my freedom. And roughey is apart of that because he has been out there, performing for me and everyone else.

Compassion, like good manners, costs nothing. Have a $£$%^%%$ heart. It won't kill you.

And there is a damn good chance that this will one day kill him.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Sorry dp
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm

^ said it all there.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm

^ said it all there.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm

dp

Last edited by Piesnchess on Sun May 22, 2016 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm

dp

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 pm

think positive wrote:
Well I'm pretty disgusted. That a 12 year old would ask that (I'd expect more of my child) but more so, your reply is $£$%^%%$ disgusting. I don't like roughey on the field, a typical run through you hawthorn (champion), but shit mate, compassion costs nothing. And then to boast about in on a website. WTF!

Do you have any idea what it is like to face this shit down, not just once but twice? Hearing that word, and then hearing the even worse M word? Let me tell you. It's ice cold steel that goes to your soul, a sheer utter terror that never quite leaves. And then every time they tell you it's gone, after the first time, you just can't believe it. My husband has cancer, and its been back twice, it's now in remission but we know it won't last. And every three months we go back to the doc, with that bloody cold steel of fear shooting through our core, is this it? Will it be back to stay this time? Or do we get to try and live for another three months without being consumed by it. But hey, he's a bulldog fan so stuff him. Or maybe my brother in law and his wife, both diagnosed since Christmas, one with kidney cancer that is already in his liver, do the research, that's borrowed time, the wife has bowel cancer, she's 1/3 of the way through dual radiation and chemo, the chemo is plugged in 5 days a week, 24 hours a day. The same day we got her news, we got news of my brothers sisters breast cancer. Thankfully this ones early. But now of course with all that she has to under go gene testing, just in case it might be past on to the kids. But hey, they are all bulldog fans, so who cares? How about my magpie girls? Do you have any idea what it's like to be 20-22 and wondering if you've been passed a time bomb?

Football is just a game, one I love so deeply it's crazy, and yet it comes a far distant 2nd to this horrible news effecting someone I will probably never meet. Football has given me so much salvation these last 7 very $£$%^%%$ hard years. I yell, I scream, pain you cannot imagine. It's my release, my freedom. And roughey is apart of that because he has been out there, performing for me and everyone else.

Compassion, like good manners, costs nothing. Have a $£$%^%%$ heart. It won't kill you.

He obviously not gone thru it so he See's it in a Very Different Way.

He is kind of Right. Roughy Cancer is super Hard but it has nothing to do with us and Collingwood(Technically).

Though I agree they should Care a bit about Roughy but it not Personal

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Look, I'm with Cam on this.

I wish Roughy no harm, in fact I wish him all the best in his battle, I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

Having said that, I have no emotional investment in his issue. I don't care anymore really than I would about any other random athlete or celeb suffering from a disease like that. If he was Pies player or a member of my family I'd have an emotional investment and I'd care. If it was a friend of a member of the family, I'd care but less.

We all have different personality types. Some people are incredibly passionate and caring about a number of things that I couldn't give a shit about. Should a father encourage his 12 year old son to care, to be emotionally invested, in the illness of a footballer who plays for another team? I'd say Hell No. Life has enough shit to throw at the kid over the journey.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:22 pm

And life is hard enough without having to read such heartless bullshit. Teaching a 12 year old that" **** em he ain't Collingwood " is a really pathetic life skill. You may not care, but there is no need to advertise it. Just say nothing. No wonder there is so many callous kids around, with parents with attitudes like this.

Remember the banner thing a while back? #notinmyname

I'm a Collingwood fan, black and white through and through. And having seen the devastation this $£$%^%%$ awful disease causes on families, I would not wish it on a $£$%^%%$ murderer.

in the words of junior when she was 6

"if you have nothing nice to say, just shut up"

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
think positive wrote:

He obviously not gone thru it so he See's it in a Very Different Way.

He is kind of Right. Roughy Cancer is super Hard but it has nothing to do with us and Collingwood(Technically).

Though I agree they should Care a bit about Roughy but it not Personal

Dave there is a massive difference between not caring and laughing at his predicament. And advertising this on a website is just that. How would you feel if it was a story about his child born with Aspergers disease and people were saying who gives a ****? They may not, but is it necessary to say it?

And certainly DO NOT say it in MY name.

"Spoken like a true Collingwood supporter".

I don't think so.

Sometimes the footy community comes together on an issue, supports each other.

A coach tragically killed by his son last year, for example. That's the good in footy. Games are not just about winning and losing. They are about community, sportsmanship, team effort. I'm Collingwood to the core, but I love AFL with a passion. Without other teams there is no sport, and that needs to be respected.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Look, I'm with Cam on this.

I wish Roughy no harm, in fact I wish him all the best in his battle, I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

Having said that, I have no emotional investment in his issue. I don't care anymore really than I would about any other random athlete or celeb suffering from a disease like that. If he was Pies player or a member of my family I'd have an emotional investment and I'd care. If it was a friend of a member of the family, I'd care but less.

We all have different personality types. Some people are incredibly passionate and caring about a number of things that I couldn't give a shit about. Should a father encourage his 12 year old son to care, to be emotionally invested, in the illness of a footballer who plays for another team? I'd say Hell No. Life has enough shit to throw at the kid over the journey.

I'm a heartless prick too, but I'm softening with age! 😀 (Please don't take offence Stui).

Get well Roughy, wouldn't wish that on anyone even someone I don't know or otherwise particularly care about.

One thing that does make me proud as a supporter is things like the community housing project (Magpies Nest?, can't recall what it is named) and the history back in the depression when the Club let spectators in for free. The Club is bigger than football (and women's football and netball and ...).

Re the topic, I think I posted in my very first post that as a WA lad basically lost at the Westpac Centre trying to find pre-ANZAC day training in 2012 (oh, what a game!) I looked around the cafe and, too embarrassed to ask the assistant coaches sitting down with coffees, I ask a another gentleman sitting down where Gosch's Paddock was. Turns out the guy was Steve Hamilton (now, but not then, the Club photographer) and he invited me to go down with him and he showed me around and introduced me to a few players. It was fantastic that someone would be so kind with the only bond being the team we support.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Sun May 22, 2016 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: