Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
58pie 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Toovey 13 disposals 1 lousy tackle. White not much better. Great game? Guess you weren't at the G. Be Brave at Selection if you sitting still you could be going backwards. Go pies
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:56 am

jackcass wrote:
Wouldn't say underdone. Both Matt Boyd and Redpath return from a weeks MRP sojourn so will actually be rested. Not sure that Tom Boyd, Adams or Suckling will get up although Suckling starting to look more likely by the day. Time will tell.

I was listening to Beveridge's press conference yesterday and he says that Tom Boyd won't play. He's still experiencing shoulder problems that have kept him out of the side so he won't play this weekend.

I also heard him say with a level of confidence that Suckling will play despite a lack of VFL practice, and Adams is 50/50 depending on how he pulls up in training with his injured finger.

The line-ups later today will give us more clarity on how the Bulldogs will approach the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Honeychurch was named as well because apparently he's been dominating in the VFL recently and I think the Bulldogs could exploit us for pace.

Hypothetically, if Cloke miraculously played one of the three big talls would have to be dropped otherwise we'd be top-heavy as a result.

RudeBoy wrote:
The Pies will win by 48 points. We've got our mojo back now, and nothing will get in our way. Go Pies!

You're seriously underestimating the Bulldogs. If we're going to win, it's going to be tight.

If we smashed them, I'll eat humble pie but this will be close if we can pull off a memorable win on the weekend.

58pie wrote:
The Dogs according to stats have the best backline in the league.

The game will be won in the midfield so we have to hope they provide enough supply for the forwards to take advantage of.

The Bulldogs have indeed been the best team defensive team in the competition this year.

E 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:26 am

I will be watching the game from Baseball Heaven. Can you believe it, there is actually a place on Long Island New York called Baseball Heaven!
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:47 am

Reasons we could lose:
*The Dogs move the ball quickly and when they don't have the ball, they are a high tackle team.

*The Dogs are very good at keeping opposition to a low score. From 9 games, they have kept their opponents to under ten goals 5 times. They have scored less than ten goals themselves only once.
(Scores against, 36, 38, 49, 61, 67, 82, 93, 98, 103).

*They are a 4-quarter team. In only 3 games so far, they have not won all 4 quarters. We have clearly not been a 4 quarter team yet. So we'll need to be on for the entire match.

*Hunter and Macrae. Everyone knows about The Bont. But you dont hear the hype around these two guys. They are both 21 and are their leading disposal getters.

*Jake Stringer. He must be kept quiet on the scoreboard. If he starts winning disposal and kicking goals we will be in strife.

*Matthew Boyd. The old man is dominating disposal of the half back line. And fresh from a week off after suspension. He's had less than 25 disposals once in 2016.

Reasons we could win:
*The Dogs have had a bad run with injuries so far in '16 and have shown signs of struggling to cover these in recent weeks. Suckling and Adams are still in doubt to return. Although not a superstar, Jong has been suspended.

*The MCG. They havnt beaten us there since that horrible final in 2006. But in saying that, we have only played them at the 'G twice since that match. Thats twice in ten years. They have only played there 6 times since 2013.

*History. Well this will hardly reflect on the game, but the last time the Dogs beat us three times in a row was in 2006-2008. Before that was in 1998-1999. And before that was way back in 1985-1986. Our last two games against them were both competitive. If not for a poor third quarter, we could have taken the last match. The loss before that was 8 points with a late Bulldogs goal sealing the win.

*Grundy/Cox. These guys will have a great opportunity to take on the game and stretch the Bulldogs ruck stocks (Campbell/Roughead).

*Collingwoods confidence is back. After that display against the Lions and then the Cats, there is no reason why Collingwood should not be able to duplicate the performance.

Lets look at the Dogs season so far;
Rd1 - Humiliated Freo. 9 rounds in and thats not really that shocking is it.
Rd2 - Smashed the Saints.
Rd3 - Lost to the Hawks by 3 points. (Should have won).
Rd4 - Beat Carlton by 36 points.
Rd5 - Beat the Lions by 53.
Rd6 - Lost to the Roos by 16 points. A shocking performance.
Rd7 - Beat Crows by 14. Their only game at the MCG so far in 2016 and 6th since 2013.
Rd8 - Beat the Dees by 32.
Rd9 - Beaten by GWS by 25. Were flat all day.

This game could determine the top 8 later in the year. I believe the Dogs have a very tough run coming up and if we are seriously thinking about taking a top 8 spot, then we must beat the Bulldogs. And we get another crack at them later in the year.

We need to find a big goal kicker and aim for 100+ points. Someone needs to stay busy on Stringer and we need to stop the ball getting to those Dogs mids. Grundy/Cox should be able to keep Campbell/Roughead out of the game. We also need to keep Boyd out of the game, this will present an opportunity for someone.

Im looking forward to this match.

Win on Sunday and the Pies are back.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 am

Dogs on the rebound and the Cats having a bad day followed by all the media Hype will see us lose by 7 Goals +. We have no chance of winning. I have tipped the Dogs as I did the Bears and the Cats. I am sticking to my form Razz
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 am

Culprit wrote:
Dogs on the rebound and the Cats having a bad day followed by all the media Hype will see us lose by 7 Goals +. We have no chance of winning. I have tipped the Dogs as I did the Bears and the Cats. I am sticking to my form Razz

The Dogs are a very good side, but at close to our best, we are better. We will win easily.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Culprit wrote:

The Dogs are a very good side, but at close to our best, we are better. We will win easily.

I agree that the Dogs are a good side, and I also agree that potentially most of our list is capable of more than theirs but.. at this moment in time I believe they are further developed in overall development, and their tactics are far more stable.

I doubt we'll win easily, it's more likely we'll fight hard for half a game and lose by about 4-5 goals - we are clearly underdogs at this present time despite our 'very recent' turn of form.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 am

Looks like it's going to be wet, which will suit us.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 am

Win this game, and we should be premiership favourites. We are building to peak at the right time of the year.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:14 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Win this game, and we should be premiership favourites. We are building to peak at the right time of the year.

And who said you were a Sad Saack?
No.1 ticket holder for the lolly brigade.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:24 am

yin-YANG wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Daicosesque wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Daicosesque wrote:
50-50 game for mine.

Gotta a spring in my step all week!

I think they have earned and deserve favouritism. We will need to improve again on our effort against the Cats to get close I think.

They would deserve some favouritism, I just think the Cats are a better team. We match them in the middle and our forwards will stretch them.

Understood, I just think the Doggies are a better side and that we matched up better against the Cats. Losing Murphy and JJ and Adams to injury has hurt them, much the same as having a large proportion of our best back 6 sitting in the stands, but they still are a better side than the Cats who rely too heavily on too few.

Dogs better than the cats? really? I don't think the bookies would agree which is why cats are still favs for the flag. The Pies beat the cats and might lose to the dogs but we seem to match up well against them. I admit I was more confident going into the game against the Cats - but Pies4shaw has renewed my belief that we are a serious chance in this game.

Another 'underdog' win against a quality opposition might get the Pies some real respect in the footy community - if they win they deserve it!

I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up! My point is that Footscray have generally been poor away from Docklands, so a solid team should beat them at the 'G. Personally, given Collingwood's stage of development, I think that the 'pies can't be favourites but I still don't think Footscray are much good away from their home ground. That said, Collingwood wasn't entirely disgraced at Docklands against them last year and the forward line performed adequately against them there without Cloke or Cox, so with a marking target in the team, there is reason to think we can compete, provided the rest of the midfield turns up again to help out Pendlebury and Sidebottom.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:49 am

our turn-around in form involves "a little more skin"
in the game and i feel greenwood, crisp, degoey, blair,
and grundy would have had there time in the corner copping
a guilt and reflection session from all concerned. with that out of the
way our midfield match ups and contested ball winning numbers
are crucial and its those mentioned above will help us no-end to
winning if those boys do there job. defensively they are our most
important stoppers on the ground, in the contests were they nullify
the ball movers of the opposition. greenwood and blair doing the hard
tag and degoey/crisp getting some outside ball and guarding and
creating space as well for each other.
i don't think theres a better defensive team in the land than the dogs
and its evident in with the confidence they move it out of defence.
but the way the cats were in sixes and sevens against us means
where doing things right in there and that has us a chance of us spoiling
the party again.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:52 am

Their leg speed really worries us, but Murphy and Johannisen missing helps.

While their rucks seem a weakness, they are also ours, with 10% less hitouts than any other team.

Cox, Moore and White, who is finally playing 3rd tall, might be able to stretch their relatively short defense. Moore has performed well against them in the past and Cox's confidence should be high.

We'll have to play like we did last week to be any sort of a shot, but I suspect the Dogs might have our measure for now.

Being at the MCG should assist.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:10 am

Why are people buying into the myth that the Dogs as a team are fast by foot. They're not. They just appear that way because they move the ball quickly. If anything the Dogs are slower by foot this year than last year.

So, how do you negate their fast ball movement? Easy, deny possession - they can't move the ball quickly if they haven't got it. How to you deny them possession? Single most important way is to stop gifting them possession by kicking behinds instead of goals from easy scoring opportunities. A goal missed is effectively a 5 point bonus to the opposition and gives them possession to move the ball through the Pies press to a Dogs scoring opportunity at the other end. So every gettable goal that is missed is potentially 11 points to the opposition.

The game will hinge on that old denier of flags for Collingwood for many a year - scoring accuracy (just ask Cloke). Now that the team is settled somewhat this is the area they need to improve on to maintain the current success, and it will be the deciding issue against the Dogs. Must minimise the lost goals from gettable scoring opportunities.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:17 am

^^^^ Think there's a little more to it than that. If, eg, we kick 5.0 from 5 inside 50s we probably don't win.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16   

Jump to: