Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies cream Cats. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop ya bitchin!

It's Sunday morning, we beat the $£$%^%%$ scumbag sleazebag arrogant dirty ducking cats!

Enjoy it!

Take a good look at our future now.

DeGoey, Treloar, Faz, Mooore, (omg this kid is going to be epic) Cox, Smith, Crocker, Iceman, Adams , still to come back Elliot, Marley, Shaz, Grundy and still in their Prime, Sidey, , Pendles, Reid (make no mistake this man is the key, what or defence has been missing, he is just a superstar, typical back men never get the recognition they deserve), I'm excited, so excited, if the players keep up this effort, the sky is the limit.

The old timers still firing, even the maligned Toovey was ok yesterday, and I think my feelings on Blair are clear! Yep Bugger that Varcoe missed a couple but gee she's still fast, so important he's back. Seeing swan off crutches, hopefully yesterday gives him cause to make it back for a Swansong.

Buckley? Well I don't know what happened, but if he has given up the zoning, and he keeps me playing with that pressure, he might just be the messiah yet!

Go Pies!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:34 am

courtza wrote:
When we start running and linking through the guts we look awesome.

Howe and Reid down back with their intercept marking and kicking.

Pendles and the mids starting to hit top form.

The forward line looking like a pack of hungry wolves.

The last 2 weeks has been real exciting to watch, the sort of footy that could take us along way, not sure we can do it week in week out though, still a while to go but loving it.

this is not new. we just haven't been able to execute it well.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 am

Mugwump wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Fantastic win. The first quarter was like we were playing Brisbane or Essendon again such was our dominance (Cats did not have a centre clearance). Even more impressive than that though was our last quarter rally after it looked like we'd be run over. Frost was struggling against Hawkins as we felt the loss of Brown, but somehow we were able to put on a few more goals and bring it home.

Our midfield has really started to click since the return of Adams. Crisp was back to his best today as were Steele and Pendles, Treloar continued his excellent season. Great job by Greenwood to keep Selwood down to 18 touches, not often that happens. Grundy put in another very good performance in the ruck with his opponent having little influence.

Up forward all contributed, with Cox, White, Moore, Grundy and even Crocker having important moments. Moore not getting a lot of it but is having an impact each game whenever he clunks a tough mark. Still don't think we have the right mix of experience on this line though, with Crocker surely needing to make way soon.

The bad:
Only two today. I though both Maynard and Varcoe hurt us badly at times. Maynard's short kicking was atrocious resulting in some awful turnovers and Varcoe continued his poor form since returning from injury costing us three great goal scoring chances with poor finishing and ball use. Needs to get more of it and needs to be cleaner. I expect Trav will keep his place but think that we'll see Williams in for Maynard if he's fit enough.

Interesting post as always, Inkling. I think Varcoe is just struggling for touch a little because of the time he has missed. The more he plays the better he'll get, and it's really noticeable that his effort is always an inspirational 100%, whether with ball in hand or on the chase. I think it is possible that his exemplary conduct has helped turn us around since he came back.

Maynard is a bit of an enigma, and he may well give way for Sinclair, if the latter is right next week. He has a good left boot and he has improved week by week. Today i thought he started to look like he belonged, bar a few clangers. But they were pretty toe-curling, especially that special delivery to Dangerfield.

Crocker may have to give way, but he is another whose potential is being explored and Showing unexpected possibilities, and it is not clear to me that we have a better replacement unless we are prepared to play three/four talls up forward (white, Cox, Cloke and Moore).

"bar a few clangers" - though those clangers (at least 4) were awful. They weren't difficult kicks and they didn't just miss, they were way off. Just about every short kick in general play was off target. Surprisingly he was given the kick in duties a few times and did ok and I think his defensive work was pretty good also.

Not sure who would come in for Crocker, if we're looking for the same type it could be Caff (not an exciting option). With Moore and Cox doing just enough each week and White performing well, it does make it difficult to fit Cloke in. The problem with this thinking is that we wait till we lose in disappointing fashion to make a change. I've never believed in keeping a team unchanged just because we had a good win. If you can improve the side then you do it and even though our forward line is going ok, it's a risk including three players with only a handful of games on the same line. I think we'll stick with it this week but a change will probably come soon.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Fantastic win. The first quarter was like we were playing Brisbane or Essendon again such was our dominance (Cats did not have a centre clearance). Even more impressive than that though was our last quarter rally after it looked like we'd be run over. Frost was struggling against Hawkins as we felt the loss of Brown, but somehow we were able to put on a few more goals and bring it home.

Our midfield has really started to click since the return of Adams. Crisp was back to his best today as were Steele and Pendles, Treloar continued his excellent season. Great job by Greenwood to keep Selwood down to 18 touches, not often that happens. Grundy put in another very good performance in the ruck with his opponent having little influence.

Up forward all contributed, with Cox, White, Moore, Grundy and even Crocker having important moments. Moore not getting a lot of it but is having an impact each game whenever he clunks a tough mark. Still don't think we have the right mix of experience on this line though, with Crocker surely needing to make way soon.

The bad:
Only two today. I though both Maynard and Varcoe hurt us badly at times. Maynard's short kicking was atrocious resulting in some awful turnovers and Varcoe continued his poor form since returning from injury costing us three great goal scoring chances with poor finishing and ball use. Needs to get more of it and needs to be cleaner. I expect Trav will keep his place but think that we'll see Williams in for Maynard if he's fit enough.

Interesting post as always, Inkling. I think Varcoe is just struggling for touch a little because of the time he has missed. The more he plays the better he'll get, and it's really noticeable that his effort is always an inspirational 100%, whether with ball in hand or on the chase. I think it is possible that his exemplary conduct has helped turn us around since he came back.

Maynard is a bit of an enigma, and he may well give way for Sinclair, if the latter is right next week. He has a good left boot and he has improved week by week. Today i thought he started to look like he belonged, bar a few clangers. But they were pretty toe-curling, especially that special delivery to Dangerfield.

Crocker may have to give way, but he is another whose potential is being explored and Showing unexpected possibilities, and it is not clear to me that we have a better replacement unless we are prepared to play three/four talls up forward (white, Cox, Cloke and Moore).

"bar a few clangers" - though those clangers (at least 4) were awful. They weren't difficult kicks and they didn't just miss, they were way off. Just about every short kick in general play was off target. Surprisingly he was given the kick in duties a few times and did ok and I think his defensive work was pretty good also.

Not sure who would come in for Crocker, if we're looking for the same type it could be Caff (not an exciting option). With Moore and Cox doing just enough each week and White performing well, it does make it difficult to fit Cloke in. The problem with this thinking is that we wait till we lose in disappointing fashion to make a change. I've never believed in keeping a team unchanged just because we had a good win. If you can improve the side then you do it and even though our forward line is going ok, it's a risk including three players with only a handful of games on the same line. I think we'll stick with it this week but a change will probably come soon.

I don't think Crocker is going anywhere in a hurry Inky. He's a tough straight through lad and I love him Very Happy .
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:35 pm

That last quarter deserves a special tribute. For us to rally like that, and arrest Geelong's momentum which was genuinely that of a Top 4 team coming home, was spine tingling. The courage and tenacity of our entire team was awe inspiring. Blair showed why he is in the team. He has courage in spades. All the tackles, his desperation in and under, small but crucial gives, were critical so many times. Jeremy Howe ...what a game. What superb kicking out of our half back line. The emergence of Mason Cox as a towering and capable target is having an impact of its own. Opposition defences are now becoming nervous when we kick the ball high into our forward line, and their defensive patterns are being determined by Cox's presence. This opens up new opportunities for our forwards in and of itself.
Our midfield was supreme. What a game from all of them, and this is ultimately where the win came from. The ability of our midfield to stand up and withstand Geelong's run, and then wrest the initiative back, will be a massive confidence booster for the entire team.
We have definitely changed our team approach to a much more contested, one on one approach. Our swarming in defence was also highly effective.
I hope that this game is the new benchmark.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 pm

What a difference it makes having our captain fit. Not only does he play magnificently, but it relieves pressure off Treloar, Sidey and De Goey. However, one of the main reasons for our improved form, imo, has been the significant lift in intensity from our 'second string' midfielders in Crisp, Greenwood and De Goey. Finally, we are demonstrating we have depth of quality in our midfield group. This has been infectious amongst the whole team and we are playing with confidence. Only time will tell, but it may turn out that we should thank Carlton for beating us a few weeks back, as we have been a new team ever since. Maybe it was the wake up call we needed.

Some praise needs to go to Toovey, who played his best game for a couple of years imo. He'll never be a great kick, but there are few players like him who can play on shorts or talls and has terrific pace. Finally, Jessie White is now delivering on his potential. The main thing is, he is gut running and playing with intensity, and he seems to be enjoying his footy.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:51 pm

John Wren wrote:
courtza wrote:

The last 2 weeks has been real exciting to watch, the sort of footy that could take us along way, not sure we can do it week in week out though, still a while to go but loving it.

Do find it amusing that our performances over the last couple of weeks have been attributed to some miraculous change in the coaching and the game plan rather than just a more settled line up and a more cohesive application and delivery of what has always been.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:05 pm

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
courtza wrote:

Do find it amusing that our performances over the last couple of weeks have been attributed to some miraculous change in the coaching and the game plan rather than just a more settled line up and a more cohesive application and delivery of what has always been.

agree, though i wasn't insinuating courtza was suggesting it was new; just used his comment to make the point. to my eye we haven't done too much different to what we have been trying to do all year. it's just we have been bad at it more often than not until very recently.

jg22 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Greatest source of happiness for me was the swift movement out of the backline. Big kudos to Howe, whose 45 degree kicks back into the corridor were, for the most part, superb. High risk move, but it sets the young kids off and running and we are hard to stop. The good thing about Howe and Reid in the backline means we have two players who can pinpoint targets 45-50 metres away and get behind the zone.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm probably not as cock a hoop as everyone else right now. I thought we were pretty lucky to win actually. We still give up way too many marks inside our defensive 50 and got bailed out by poor set shot kicking and the Cats butchering some other easy chances. Still, that aside, we were at least competitive against the Premiership favourite.

The good: Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Reid, Grundy, Adams, De Goey. Crisp faded after the first, but geez he was amazing in the first. Greenwood beat Selwood. The Triple M morons acted like this matchup was a terrible coaching decision when they first saw it, but I thought pregame it was the obvious matchup. Howe is the mid sized defender / distributor we've been looking for, I think Langdon's time is numbered.

Ok: White didn't get much of it but had some really good contests. Moore looks great the 5-10 times a game he gets a run at the ball, but needs to get to the right spots more. Cox is pretty similar, but he has an obvious excuse. Fas was barely passable, pretty quiet. Smith did a few nice things. Toovey did his job.

Bad: Frost was badly outmatched by Hawkins and it would have cost us the game if they'd been able to give him more quality ball. Maynard is simply not AFL standard at the moment. Crocker was practically invisible. Varcoe is out of touch. Blair always struggles against quality teams. I think Oxley is pretty dubious at this level too.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
I'm probably not as cock a hoop as everyone else right now. I thought we were pretty lucky to win actually. We still give up way too many marks inside our defensive 50 and got bailed out by poor set shot kicking and the Cats butchering some other easy chances. Still, that aside, we were at least competitive against the Premiership favourite.

The good: Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Reid, Grundy, Adams, De Goey. Crisp faded after the first, but geez he was amazing in the first. Greenwood beat Selwood. The Triple M morons acted like this matchup was a terrible coaching decision when they first saw it, but I thought pregame it was the obvious matchup. Howe is the mid sized defender / distributor we've been looking for, I think Langdon's time is numbered.

Ok: White didn't get much of it but had some really good contests. Moore looks great the 5-10 times a game he gets a run at the ball, but needs to get to the right spots more. Cox is pretty similar, but he has an obvious excuse. Fas was barely passable, pretty quiet. Smith did a few nice things. Toovey did his job.

Bad: Frost was badly outmatched by Hawkins and it would have cost us the game if they'd been able to give him more quality ball. Maynard is simply not AFL standard at the moment. Crocker was practically invisible. Varcoe is out of touch. Blair always struggles against quality teams. I think Oxley is pretty dubious at this level too.

I must have been watching a different game??? Maynard played easily his best game yesterday and is improving by the week.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Maynard is terrible. I seriously don't think he has one AFL caliber skill. He reminds me so much of some of the worst mistakes of the Tony Shaw era.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Maynard is terrible. I seriously don't think he has one AFL caliber skill. He reminds me so much of some of the worst mistakes of the Tony Shaw era.

He's tougher than a cats head, I thought he was alright.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:34 pm

Well, if it's part of the game plan to have a back pocket who concedes 6 goals a game, Maynard looks like the man for the job.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:

Shocked Confused HUH ?? WTF, the kid played his heart out, was terrific, made one mistake, big deal, but gave his all. Dunno what game you were at. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: