Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jamie Elliott injury update

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
IIRC the kid did a massive personal training regime in order to set himself up to be drafted in the first place. The initial damage may well have been done then as it wasn't exactly a program structured by a sports scientist, more like an old fashioned bust a gut/work like buggery then do it again regime.

The change to Davoran trying to increase players endurance capabilities to what was needed to play the current game styles probably didn't help, but like a stress fracture, it's bloody hard to diagnose until it shows real signs by which time it's too late.

Yep, hard nosed local trainer worked with him.

Yep I agree its more likely that Elliott's pars defect is directly related to the 9 week training he did with Kevin McFarlane in 2011 before we even drafted him. I say this because sports scientists never get it wrong. Cough cough Essendon... Cough cough stk with Davoran.... Everyone knows the 2014 season was ruined by the training regime. Was it 15 hamstring injuries that year?

My money is not on anything McFarlane did in 2011. Let's just say I don't know for sure, but Im comfortably satisfied (there's a term the sports scientist must love) that Elliott is still paying the long term effects of the 30% increase in training that happend over 13/14.

You are a legend KM.
You should post more often.
But you probably don't want to get in a constant scrap.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I spent about 5min searching on Google so that makes me an expert. Umm no it doesn't.

In any case I did learn that apparently genetic predisposition plays a significant role in Spondylolysis. So perhaps Elliot is predisposed, I mean why wouldn't everyone suffer the same fate then that had such a strenuous exercise program?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
IIRC the kid did a massive personal training regime in order to set himself up to be drafted in the first place. The initial damage may well have been done then as it wasn't exactly a program structured by a sports scientist, more like an old fashioned bust a gut/work like buggery then do it again regime.

The change to Davoran trying to increase players endurance capabilities to what was needed to play the current game styles probably didn't help, but like a stress fracture, it's bloody hard to diagnose until it shows real signs by which time it's too late.

Yep I agree its more likely that Elliott's pars defect is directly related to the 9 week training he did with Kevin McFarlane in 2011 before we even drafted him. I say this because sports scientists never get it wrong. Cough cough Essendon... Cough cough stk with Davoran.... Cough cough Bulldogs with Davoran...

Everyone knows the 2014 season was ruined by the training regime. Was it 15 hamstring injuries that year?

My money is not on anything McFarlane did in 2011. Let's just say I don't know for sure, but Im comfortably satisfied (there's a term the sports scientist must love) that Elliott is still paying the long term effects of the 30% increase in training that happend over 13/14.

Exactly from where did you pull "9 weeks"? IIRC it was a fair bit longer than that, but feel free to provide a source to prove me wrong.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yep I agree its more likely that Elliott's pars defect is directly related to the 9 week training he did with Kevin McFarlane in 2011 before we even drafted him. I say this because sports scientists never get it wrong. Cough cough Essendon... Cough cough stk with Davoran.... Cough cough Bulldogs with Davoran...

Everyone knows the 2014 season was ruined by the training regime. Was it 15 hamstring injuries that year?

I have no knowledge that backs my view but as I understand 1 of the common causes of his injury is overarching of the back so I'd look more to his marking than anything else. That's without even considering any genetic predisposition or impact injuries. An increase in running loads may/may not exacerbate that. But that's pure guess work.

Last edited by jackcass on Thu May 19, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Exactly from where did you pull "9 weeks"? IIRC it was a fair bit longer than that, but feel free to provide a source to prove me wrong.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jamie-elliotts-iron-will-to-be-and-beat-the-best-20140514-zrchs.html
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:31 am

I cannot believe that you experts have solved the riddle of Jamie's injury, and from your armchairs as well!!!!

Fwiw I heard on the grapevine that Davoren was seen in the vicinity of Bachar Houli last week and also has lived close to Daniel Wells for a while.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:32 am

thompsoc wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yep I agree its more likely that Elliott's pars defect is directly related to the 9 week training he did with Kevin McFarlane in 2011 before we even drafted him. I say this because sports scientists never get it wrong. Cough cough Essendon... Cough cough stk with Davoran.... Everyone knows the 2014 season was ruined by the training regime. Was it 15 hamstring injuries that year?

You are a legend KM.
You should post more often.
But you probably don't want to get in a constant scrap.

Yeah it would appear my views on certain things run against the grain.

Its not to be contrarian. Its just after the last 3 years I'm fed up with what's happened to our great club. What happened to our players in 2014 because of the 30% increase in workload was careless and a train wreck. Shouldn't a sports science dude spend 12 months getting to know the physiology of each player before deciding "yep I know sweet FA about each individual players physiology cause I've just got here but full steam ahead with an extra 40 kms a week running". Isn't that attitude just a little bit careless?

Dispite what others say its cost us Nathan Freeman. Seriously people who leaves Collingwood for StKilda? Maybe Monky and Francis when they were done but a top 10 pick 2 years into his career??? Its unheard of. And I'd say the training in 2013/14 has almost cost Freeman his career.

The 2013/14 training increase wouldn't have helped Elliott at all. You don't load up on a guy who has a history of hammie injuries like that. And certainly if you know Elliott loved pushing himself to the limit surely you shy on the cautionary side. He would have loved "overloading" himself though cause as McFarlane said he loves to train.

But have a look at the long term side effects. Was it worth it? Did ramping up our training so drastically have good results for us? Do Collingwood even seem fitter than most other clubs? I'd say the pies have concrete boots in most of our games this year. Its almost like they got through the preseason and hit the wall.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:36 am

If you bozos need a freaking lesson in logic, here you go:
If Davoren has had a net negative impact at the club in the time that he has been there, he would be out of a job. No matter what your "opinion" is about the guy, there is no way that Buckley and the rest of the coaching staff would let someone destroy the playing group from the inside.

The only possible reason that makes any sense is that they are ALL in a conspiracy to destroy our club - that is essentially the inference you are making. Fortunately the likelihood of this being the case is just about as small as your tiny brains. Over.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
If Davoren has had a net negative impact at the club in the time that he has been there, he would be out of a job. No matter what your "opinion" is about the guy, there is no way that Buckley and the rest of the coaching staff would let someone destroy the playing group from the inside.

The only possible reason that makes any sense is that they are ALL in a conspiracy to destroy our club - that is essentially the inference you are making. Fortunately the likelihood of this being the case is just about as small as your tiny brains. Over.

Hmmm who do you think wanted Devoran to up the training loads? Why'd you think our former sport scientist left for Carlton? Could it have been purely because he wanted to work with Malthouse again? Or perhaps there was a ideological difference between coach and high performance manager on how to train the list without hightening the risk of injury?

Read Buckley's book. See how many times he did his hammie primarily cause he went too hard on the training track. Look at Dane Swan. Hardly missed a game till this year. Perhaps a guy like swan knows how to manage his body better than Bucks by not running himself into the ground. I certainly wouldn't be asking Bucks for advice on training methods anytime soon unless I wanted to over do it on the training track all the time and risk soft tissue injuries every other week

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:01 am

I understand what you're saying and how you feel, but essentially the message is that Buckley and Davoren are out to destroy the club from within. Simple.

I for one do not believe that Nathan Buckley, one of the greatest servants of our club, would do anything to jeopardise the club, or even in a purely self interested way, his career.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 am

I understand what you're saying and how you feel, but essentially the message is that Buckley and Davoren are out to destroy the club from within. Simple.
I for one do not believe that Nathan Buckley, one of the greatest servants of our club, would do anything to jeopardise the club, or even in a purely self interested way, his career.

Totally agree but as usual feel that I know what the standard bloody response will be.... Rolling Eyes

Again, please tell me when pure logic and such sensible rationality ever worked with this mob??

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 am

What a rubbish statement.
Have you ever considered incompetence and just plain being dumb?
I mean, The greatest leader in the free world went to war in iraq to bring democracy to the poor old muslims.
Was that a conspiracy or just stupidity!
What KM had to say was a reasonable and well written piece.
But as usual the bozo's ( mr Cuthberts slant ) want to howl down anybody who has a different view on things.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 am

I cannot believe that you experts have solved the riddle of Jamie's injury, and from your armchairs as well!!!!

Waddya mean?

I just did a course on the web on back surgery, obtained a higher degree from the online university of speculation & I'm ready to operate now.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 am

watt price tully wrote:

Waddya mean?

I just did a course on the web on back surgery, obtained a higher degree from the online university of speculation & I'm ready to operate now.

What a boring and a smart arse statement.
Belittle, put down and just chase down any heretic.
Report any heretics to the "House of Un Collingwood Activities."
it has that whiff of the 1950's about it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm

thompsoc wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Waddya mean?

What a boring and a smart arse statement.
Belittle, put down and just chase down any heretic.
Report any heretics to the "House of Un Collingwood Activities."
it has that whiff of the 1950's about it.

Spending too much time on the net are we?

Thompsoc, you need to get out more & smell the roses.

Yours & others views here is opinion based on speculation. Unless you've done a sophisticated path analysis or something similar to determine actual causation the rest is speculation.

You can't prove what you've speculated to be fact.

However, you can do the same online course as me Wink Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: