Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New leaders required

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Although appointments are made at the start of the year, it's become obvious that with both Brown and Macaffer languishing in the VFL, we need more on field leadership that was lacking during the Carlton game. So it wouldn't surprise me if the club had already spoken to Treloar and Varcoe prior to the Brisbane game about filling the leadership vacuum.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:34 pm

The concept of a 4-5 man leadership group is surely redundant in a modern day AFL club anyway.

Ideally you would have 2-3 leaders in every section of the ground (attack, midfield and defense).

Our leaders (off the top of my head) would be;

Defense; Brown, Toovey, Reid, Williams
Midfield; Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Varcoe, Adams (could add a few more even)
Attack; Macaffer, ?????

The forwards is where we struggle for leadership it seems. Moore will become a leader over time but is only a kid still, why Cloke for obvious reasons has dropped off in that area.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:58 pm

mattys123 wrote:
The concept of a 4-5 man leadership group is surely redundant in a modern day AFL club anyway.

Ideally you would have 2-3 leaders in every section of the ground (attack, midfield and defense).

Our leaders (off the top of my head) would be;

Defense; Brown, Toovey, Reid, Williams
Midfield; Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Varcoe, Adams (could add a few more even)
Attack; Macaffer, ?????

The forwards is where we struggle for leadership it seems. Moore will become a leader over time but is only a kid still, why Cloke for obvious reasons has dropped off in that area.

You've highlighted the problem. We lack on field leadership in the backline and forward line and the only way you get it is by having stable lineups where leadership evolves amongst players by playing with each other and learning each other's game.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 pm

^ is that leadership or simple communication?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm

John Wren wrote:
^ is that leadership or simple communication?

Yes
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 pm
Post subject: Re: New leaders requiredReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm not sure who are currently in our leadership group supporting Pendles - I think it's Sidey, Adams, Caff and Brown - but given that Brown and Caff are running around in the VFL, I'd like their leadership positions to be transferred to Varcoe and Treloar (if he's not already in there). I know it's only a formality, but we desperately need more on field leadership and these two are natural and inspiring leaders.

Well I don't both Varcoe and Treloar are in the leadership group but it would be good if both players are!

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 pm

jackcass wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
John Wren wrote:
you don't need a title to be a leader.

But it might help if your a 21 year old telling a 10 year club veteran to tow the line on one issue or another....

Not really. Doesn't make you smarter, bigger, stronger, more influential, more intimidating, it's just a label.

Oh look everyone, Jackcass disagrees again, we need to work harder to please him/her/them.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:

But it might help if your a 21 year old telling a 10 year club veteran to tow the line on one issue or another....

Not really. Doesn't make you smarter, bigger, stronger, more influential, more intimidating, it's just a label.

Oh look everyone, Jackcass disagrees again, we need to work harder to please him/her/them.

Thank god Bob, was beginning to think it was only my good friend Thompsoc and me that he played the "contrary card" to!!!

E 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Taylor Adams is our leader!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm

E wrote:
Taylor Adams is our leader!

Definitely the strongest emerging leader among the kids but I don't think we'll have a shortage of them going forward.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:34 am

Leadership isn't about a title it's about team ethos. For mine we don't have vocal leaders on field.
If the stories are to be believed Bucks was requested by the captain to give the players a huge spray and actually name those who he believed weren't putting in. Neil wrote earlier he had a source who said the sprays definitely happened
I know one thing from watching them live last week Varcoe is a leader of young men and a very good communicator on field to them. His experience and confidence in his own ability is great but he also takes on the role of advisor on field to players like Smith Maynard DeGoey.
I would make some changes to the leadership group. I would want to see Varcoe Adams Treloar in if they aren't.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Leadership isn't about a title it's about team ethos. For mine we don't have vocal leaders on field.
If the stories are to be believed Bucks was requested by the captain to give the players a huge spray and actually name those who he believed weren't putting in. Neil wrote earlier he had a source who said the sprays definitely happened
I know one thing from watching them live last week Varcoe is a leader of young men and a very good communicator on field to them. His experience and confidence in his own ability is great but he also takes on the role of advisor on field to players like Smith Maynard DeGoey.
I would make some changes to the leadership group. I would want to see Varcoe Adams Treloar in if they aren't.

I'll second that. No good having a five member leadership group if two are playing reserves grade football and another spends two games suspended due to an indiscriminate hit on an opposition player. Treloar will be in the leadership group next year anyway and Varcoe may wish to put his name forward next year. Moore will be in the leadership group at some point of time but next year will be too early for him.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

I agree with all of that. However, sometimes a player will constrain their natural leadership traits, because they don't feel it's their job, to tell other, more established, players what to do. Giving them a formal leadership role gives them full license to provide that leadership. For instance, since this is his first year with us, perhaps Treloar is loathe to direct other players on the ground, but if he was given a leaders title, it would no doubt make him more comfortable doing so. Anyway, it's not a big thing, but it just seemed silly to have 2 of our designated leaders in the ressies while we need strong leadership in the seniors. Adams is already in our leadership group, so of the players in our side, Treloar and Varcoe seem the obvious contenders to be promoted to such a role.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:55 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I agree with all of that. However, sometimes a player will constrain their natural leadership traits, because they don't feel it's their job, to tell other, more established, players what to do. Giving them a formal leadership role gives them full license to provide that leadership. For instance, since this is his first year with us, perhaps Treloar is loathe to direct other players on the ground, but if he was given a leaders title, it would no doubt make him more comfortable doing so. Anyway, it's not a big thing, but it just seemed silly to have 2 of our designated leaders in the ressies while we need strong leadership in the seniors. Adams is already in our leadership group, so of the players in our side, Treloar and Varcoe seem the obvious contenders to be promoted to such a role.

Agree rude but I'll give you one example of Treloar not being shy in letting his feeling known.
By memory it was in the second term we had intercepted the ball on the HBF Smith immediately switched play to the fat side of the ground by foot to Maynard who in turn found Pendles with a hand ball. Pendles propped for a second and found Varcoe had run hard to be around 70-75m from goal and delivered him the ball.
Varcoe went back looking at his options which were Moore leading to the fat pocket, Cox leading straight up the middle, Fasalo in board around 55m from goal. What he didn't see was Treloar had run from the HBF on the skinny side of the ground and had dropped into clear space about 15m from goal with no one within 20m of him. Varcoe went to Moore who had the ball spoiled and it rebounded out. Treloar was yelling and pointing to which Varcoe saw and put his hand up,in acknowledgment. The ball went down to just outside our defensive 50 and at the stoppage Varcoe run up to Treloar and put a hand on his back as if to say my bad mate should have spotted you
Treloar wasn't shy letting Varcoe know he chose the wrong option and Varcoe was good enough to acknowledge it.
I said earlier for mine Varcoe is nearly our most important player now. Not because he's our best player (but he could easily be in the top 5 most games) but for his leadership qualities and his coaching on the ground during the game.
I'll pose this question
Was this Smith's best game for the club ? And is it any coincidence Varcoe was playing ?
Watching the game live you could see Varcoe constantly pointing and directing Smith, Maynard and others out of defence. At times he would work over time to be the target himself other times he would run towards them and point out there best options.
He's our best mature age signing since we nabbed Ball & Jolly and maybe even more important than they turned out to be
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:01 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Thank god Bob, was beginning to think it was only my good friend Thompsoc and me that he played the "contrary card" to!!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of a contrary nature.

I certainly reject any implication I would feel the need to 'try harder' as a result of anything Jackass posted; any quoted replies with said poster were made in good faith

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: