Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Cats. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've had a day or so to digest the good win over the Bears and it was very enjoyable, credit where it's due, However.....

Being at the game I was pretty focused on how we set up and zoned and guarded space all night...and it still wasn't pretty to watch especially in the back half.

Luckily for us or rather credit to us, it never got back there. we won the contested ball at many of the stoppages and the Bears just couldn't get it out and Over the top. Even when they did they were under such good pressure they didn't execute well enough to the string of free players that waited over the back. I've watched the tv coverage since and you don't get to see these unmanned players waiting in the winds.

My concern........Geelong have a far better midfield than the Brions and if they can free the ball up around stoppages I fear we are going to watch the same "out the back then over the top" to a string of free Geelong players resulting in easy goals and dare I say it coast to coasters.

How do we fix it? Well some think a new coach, some think the new boys just need time to learn to gel into the game plan, some think we need the experienced guys back in the team to execute our plan better.

I think it's a combo of all the above, however rather than a new coach I'd just like to see our current coach address it against the cats.

One things for sure when teams move the ball forward on the pies they score pretty freely, even Brisbane did when they got the chance. Thus we need to win the midfield battle and win it well, or we just won't win at all.

Sadly my tip is the cats by plenty......but as I live and breath I hope I am made the fool and have to eat the words I just typed. Make me do it pies!

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:25 pm

As much as it sounds strange, having a pretty much "stay at home" forward like Hawkins (I cant remember him venturing out of the F50 too often) will help - We'll always have someone deep back (Frost/Reid) and hopefully a lot more pace from Howe/Varcoe/Sinclair from half back may help - Not sure of Maynard yet and Toovey has become a liability.

I have us as a reasonable chance if our backs can hold up.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 pm

We really need Reid back for this one. We got away with a short backline against the Bears because the ball didn't come down there much, especially in the first half. However, with the Cats talls we'll need another key position defender and Reid is our best.

I must say I'm getting more and more impressed by Howe, and although he came to us wanting to play up front, he's looked very good in defence. Unlike others, I have also been impressed by Maynard, who is as tough as nails and is a beautiful long kick.

If we are to get close to, or dare I say it, beat the Pussies, then our midfield have got to play to their potential. Pendles looks to be fit again and was sublime on the weekend, so hopefully he continues on in that vein. Treloar, Sidey, Adams and de Goey are also keys, but the guys who need to step up are Greenwood and Crisp. I'd like Greenwood and Crisp to take turns in tagging Dangerfield.

Despite our respective ladder positions, I genuinely think we are a chance this week. Everyone has been saying how bad the Bears were in the first half on the weekend, but imo much of that was due to our incredible intensity and pressure around the ball. If we play at our best we can win this game.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm

^^We need Brown more than Reid. Frost and Reid struggle to go with Hawkins for strength and Reid has not defended well this year. Both of them would be ideal though.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Last Friday, Balme told Bartlett that Brown had done his hamstring and would miss three weeks. That's part of the reason I don't see Collingwood getting near them.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Last Friday, Balme told Bartlett that Brown had done his hamstring and would miss three weeks. That's part of the reason I don't see Collingwood getting near them.

Read the below from the club's official site. Hadn't realised it was from May 3 Confused The club could be a little more prompt with these updates, and less positive and hopeful about outcomes Wink.

Balmey wrote:
Nathan Brown’s hamstring isn’t too bad. The scans don’t look too bad at all. He’s a silly chance of being available this week, but probably more likely that he’ll miss just one.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:51 pm

You've got me worried, now, about whether I mis-recalled this. I've just been back to where I thought it was and I can't find it. With a bit of luck, your understanding might be right.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:02 pm

5150 wrote:
As much as it sounds strange, having a pretty much "stay at home" forward like Hawkins (I cant remember him venturing out of the F50 too often) will help - We'll always have someone deep back (Frost/Reid) and hopefully a lot more pace from Howe/Varcoe/Sinclair from half back may help - Not sure of Maynard yet and Toovey has become a liability.

I have us as a reasonable chance if our backs can hold up.

shane kersten is having a good patch of form. need to keep an eye on him and cam guthrie for that matter. danger, selwood and bartel aside.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
You've got me worried, now, about whether I mis-recalled this. I've just been back to where I thought it was and I can't find it. With a bit of luck, your understanding might be right.

balme did say brown could be up to three weeks on the sidelines. worry not, you're not going senile. others may disagree but that's not for me to concern myself with.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 pm

My health care providers say it's just the effect of the anaesthetic, JW. Perhaps I should drink less of it....
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:36 pm
Post subject: Reid and Marsh in Toovey and Maynard OutReply with quote

Just my opinion but feel these changes would suit us against the Cats this weekend!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Maynard out?? You've got to be kidding. This kid is playing great footy, is as tough as nails and is our best kick from defence.

Sure Marsh played very well in the VFL, but boy oh boy he turned it over a number of times through his wayward kicking.

Toovey may lose his spot if Reid is available, but that's the only change I'd make.
roar 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Pies by 1 point, I got a good feeling about this one. The cats might be a bit over-confident and not expecting a rampaging magpie machine ready to shock the world. A 90 point loss wouldn't surprise though.

After we kicked them out of finals contention last year, I don't think they'll be complacent but rather, they'll be wanting to rip us a new one.

Museman 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Maynard out?? You've got to be kidding. This kid is playing great footy, is as tough as nails and is our best kick from defence.

Sure Marsh played very well in the VFL, but boy oh boy he turned it over a number of times through his wayward kicking.

Toovey may lose his spot if Reid is available, but that's the only change I'd make.

Shocked Shocked Shocked you enjoying that weed?

OX is by far our best, and Maynard though i agree is a tough is almost our worst as far as delivery, both with thought process and execution.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 pm

September Zeros wrote:

My concern........Geelong have a far better midfield than the Brions and if they can free the ball up around stoppages I fear we are going to watch the same "out the back then over the top" to a string of free Geelong players resulting in easy goals and dare I say it coast to coasters.

Agreed. Our pressure was good against the Lions, but the weakness of our transition defense was rarely tested early. We won the bulk of the clearances and contested ball and the Lions were incapable of finding a man on their kickins. When they did on a few occasions in the second half, goals resulted. The midfield battle against the Cats will be far more even.

All year we've been able to keep with teams as long as we are competing well in the clearances. We even looked the better side against the Eagles for two quarters. Whenever we are being smashed in the clearances though, the goals come thick and fast. This is a major concern against an attacking Geelong midfield and we are almost no chance if we don't get at least one of Brown and Reid back.

Brown and Reid must play if fit. I'd like Cloke to be considered but doubt that will happen. There are still real concerns over playing all of Cox, Crocker and Moore. Witts only to be considered if we rule out Cloke and Cox doesn't come up. Marsh to play only if Reid and Brown aren't fit, otherwise I'd favour Toovey as our medium defender.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: