Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

All Hail The Magoos! 12 Straight! Taps for PM!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:27 pm
Post subject: All Hail The Magoos! 12 Straight! Taps for PM!Reply with quote

Or Senior Coach, whatever!
Cloke 4 Goals, Pies clear on top, Minor Prem a big chance!

Now what reason will the mods come up with to move/Delete/Merge/Lock this post?!
Or will it be my first this year to stay up?

Dont hold breath!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because its aimed squarely as an attack upon the senior coaching encumbent?

As usual.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 pm

As I said in the VFL thread, I'm intrigued at how we can play so many talls at VFL level yet at AFL level the prevailing wisdom from observers is we're too slow.

Today we had Witts in the ruck, with Cloke, Gailt and Cox at least up forward. Not sure if we had any other talls like Wyatt or some of our VFL talls playing, but if so that makes it even more interesting.

I didn't see the game so I'd be interested in comments as to how it works and why it can't work at AFL level.

As long as we can please leave out the obvious trolling of "because Taps can coach and Bucks can't"

35forever 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:43 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Perhaps because its aimed squarely as an attack upon the senior coaching encumbent?

As usual.

No, its not, but I'm happy to provide such if you like, there's a reason I keep mentioning that you know, it's fairly important to the club! And yes, Buckley will NEVER get 12 straight from the seniors, he managed 10 in 2012, but he's wrapped the Ferrari around too many poles since.

Now that was in response to YOU, can we please talk about the brilliance of the two's who made history today! They played Hawthorn's champion side who are the best starters in the VFL, and we were well up at the first change, and never headed once.
Having watched, read, or listened to the last half dozen, its hard to see us getting beaten, although we do have a tendency to fade a bit in the third or fourth. If we avoid that only lack of finals stands against us.

And Stui, remember we played exactly those talls (swap Moore for Cloke) in the first NAB game against Geelong, they had no answers! We didn't repeat that line up ONCE all season. Maybe it was just surprise? We've played a lot of talls for most of the year, except when several were in the ones.

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:49 pm

^

We tried similar a few times during the year.

When we win it's a masterstroke, when we lose our forward line is too slow and cumbersome and doesn't apply forward pressure.

For mine, once the ball hits the forward line all the munchkins should be on their bike to apply forward pressure and not sitting back expecting 2m+ players to be doing it all.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Wyatt did not play. Witts did the vast majority of the rucking. Cox and Cloke appeared to play deeper than Gault. You've got to remember all those talks are AFL listed so are going to get a game even if team balance is a bit out.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
As I said in the VFL thread, I'm intrigued at how we can play so many talls at VFL level yet at AFL level the prevailing wisdom from observers is we're too slow.

Today we had Witts in the ruck, with Cloke, Gailt and Cox at least up forward. Not sure if we had any other talls like Wyatt or some of our VFL talls playing, but if so that makes it even more interesting.

I didn't see the game so I'd be interested in comments as to how it works and why it can't work at AFL level.

As long as we can please leave out the obvious trolling of "because Taps can coach and Bucks can't"

To answer your question, Wyatt didn't play. We also omitted Lachie Howe and Ash Close.

The Witts/Cloke/Gault/Cox troupe isn't the fastest going around. Indeed, when Box Hill were able to get their rebound run going, they left our big blokes in the dust. But we got goals out of all of them and Cloke got a couple of his from crumbing situations, so we got away with it.

Just at a guesstimate, I'd say that we rotated the two big rucks and Gault (who did some relieving) in particular on/off the ground a bit more. I often glanced at the bench and we seemed to always have one of them off each time. Is that good coaching? Maybe.

I should give Cox a special shout-out. I wasn't (and am still not entirely) convinced he could pull off the role of a higher playing key forward hitting the back flanks/wings, but when it was his turn to play that role, he nearly always clunked or made an honest contest when targeted. What he didn't mark he made up for with the requisite pressure at ground level.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

When we win it's a masterstroke, when we lose our forward line is too slow and cumbersome and doesn't apply forward pressure.

For mine, once the ball hits the forward line all the munchkins should be on their bike to apply forward pressure and not sitting back expecting 2m+ players to be doing it all.

I get annoyed by those general statements as well. The true state of play is a more complex has a lot to do with match ups, positional set up, player movement patterns. Then most important player execution, skills, opposition smarts, numbers etc So if you see Johannisen screaming out of their defence with Cox trying to mow him down, we might look slow and cumbersome but that isn't the reason why our attack didn't function. By the way I thought the team matched up well again against the dogs and everything was in the balance until we lost Adams.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

To answer your question, Wyatt didn't play. We also omitted Lachie Howe and Ash Close.

The Witts/Cloke/Gault/Cox troupe isn't the fastest going around. Indeed, when Box Hill were able to get their rebound run going, they left our big blokes in the dust. But we got goals out of all of them and Cloke got a couple of his from crumbing situations, so we got away with it.

Just at a guesstimate, I'd say that we rotated the two big rucks and Gault (who did some relieving) in particular on/off the ground a bit more. I often glanced at the bench and we seemed to always have one of them off each time. Is that good coaching? Maybe.

I should give Cox a special shout-out. I wasn't (and am still not entirely) convinced he could pull off the role of a higher playing key forward hitting the back flanks/wings, but when it was his turn to play that role, he nearly always clunked or made an honest contest when targeted. What he didn't mark he made up for with the requisite pressure at ground level.

Cheers MB.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:18 pm

35forever wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

As usual.

No, its not, but I'm happy to provide such if you like, there's a reason I keep mentioning that you know, it's fairly important to the club! And yes, Buckley will NEVER get 12 straight from the seniors, he managed 10 in 2012, but he's wrapped the Ferrari around too many poles since.

Now that was in response to YOU, can we please talk about the brilliance of the two's who made history today! They played Hawthorn's champion side who are the best starters in the VFL, and we were well up at the first change, and never headed once.
Having watched, read, or listened to the last half dozen, its hard to see us getting beaten, although we do have a tendency to fade a bit in the third or fourth. If we avoid that only lack of finals stands against us.

And Stui, remember we played exactly those talls (swap Moore for Cloke) in the first NAB game against Geelong, they had no answers! We didn't repeat that line up ONCE all season. Maybe it was just surprise? We've played a lot of talls for most of the year, except when several were in the ones.

Happy to talk about the magoos, don't crack it sunshine - you are the one that couldn't resist having a shot.
35forever 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 am

There is a reason for that, to most of us Collingwood's biggest problem isn't slow forwards, running patterns, or forward defense, it's a man, one man, who continues putting himself before the club year after year, destroying our hopes, and setting us back further each year.
I'm sorry it upsets you, I don't come here to hurt other Magpies, despite what many think, but how does one discuss anything Collingwood-related without mentioning by far what I see as the biggest obstacle to our success?
I've been through dozens of seasons when Collingwood simply wasn't one of the top sides, and it hasn't always agreed with ladder position, but more often it did. The last few seasons of the millennium were a great example. Ironically the single great player, who really showed how weak our list was by comparison (exactly like when Judd moved to Carlton), was Nathan Buckley. He was supported by O'Bree & Paul Williams, but the rest were just not enough. They weren't duds, they just weren't as consistent or as competitive as other sides, and TS wasn't a great coach, but we don't know that he was all that bad, players have since come out & said he was ok, and had the players behind him, he just didn't have the players.
If we can accept that Swanny or Pendles are nearly as good as Buckley, then the current list is far, far better than that of 1999 because champions like those 2 don't stand out so completely. Steelo, Adams, Trelz, Grundy, and 15 others are right up there, those 2 guys aren't BOG every week like Bucks was. I say these things to explain myself, not to put the boot in, and I mentioned Taps because when we do seek a new coach he probably should be considered. I know this is (relatively) off topic, and I will undertake not to mention the senior coaching in this thread again. If necessary, I'll wait for you to have the last word then I (or the mods) can delete this post, as you prefer.

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:42 pm

35forever wrote:
There is a reason for that, to most of us Collingwood's biggest problem isn't slow forwards, running patterns, or forward defense, it's a man, one man, who continues putting himself before the club year after year, destroying our hopes, and setting us back further each year.
I'm sorry it upsets you, I don't come here to hurt other Magpies, despite what many think, but how does one discuss anything Collingwood-related without mentioning by far what I see as the biggest obstacle to our success?
I've been through dozens of seasons when Collingwood simply wasn't one of the top sides, and it hasn't always agreed with ladder position, but more often it did. The last few seasons of the millennium were a great example. Ironically the single great player, who really showed how weak our list was by comparison (exactly like when Judd moved to Carlton), was Nathan Buckley. He was supported by O'Bree & Paul Williams, but the rest were just not enough. They weren't duds, they just weren't as consistent or as competitive as other sides, and TS wasn't a great coach, but we don't know that he was all that bad, players have since come out & said he was ok, and had the players behind him, he just didn't have the players.
If we can accept that Swanny or Pendles are nearly as good as Buckley, then the current list is far, far better than that of 1999 because champions like those 2 don't stand out so completely. Steelo, Adams, Trelz, Grundy, and 15 others are right up there, those 2 guys aren't BOG every week like Bucks was. I say these things to explain myself, not to put the boot in, and I mentioned Taps because when we do seek a new coach he probably should be considered. I know this is (relatively) off topic, and I will undertake not to mention the senior coaching in this thread again. If necessary, I'll wait for you to have the last word then I (or the mods) can delete this post, as you prefer.

Still this delusional belief that the noisy few constitutes "most". If that was anywhere near the case we wouldn't even be having these debates as the club would have acted.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:16 pm

jackcass wrote:
35forever wrote:

Still this delusional belief that the noisy few constitutes "most". If that was anywhere near the case we wouldn't even be having these debates as the club would have acted.

17,644. The "most" have spoken. Hard evidence suggests the "most" aren't on board.
jmac70 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm

35forever wrote:

Tapping has done a great job but there is no chance he will be considered for the senior coaching role, should it be available in 2018. He has no AFL experience.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:24 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
jackcass wrote:
35forever wrote:

17,644. The "most" have spoken. Hard evidence suggests the "most" aren't on board.

As I say, delusional to assume that declining attendances at Collingwood games do not reflect a league wide decline in attendances. You, and the few, continue to interpret every possible morsel as negatively as you possibly can. Life must be sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: