Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Adam Treloar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads7 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pie fans,

I am a first time poster so please go easy!

I love this kid. Not just because he is good but because of the hard work he puts in. The one (minor) blemish of his performances has been his goal kicking the last few weeks. I caught the last bit of training today and he was one of two (the other being Tom Phillips) who stayed after the session finished to work on goal kicking. This guy will do great things for our Club on and off the field!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:21 pm

I hope the last bit of training and I was one of two the other being Tom Phillips who stayed after the session finished to work on goal kicking is not contagious. Also I hope you get well soon.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Ads7 wrote:
Hi Pie fans,

I love this kid. Not just because he is good but because of the hard work he puts in. The one (minor) blemish of his performances has been his goal kicking the last few weeks. I caught the last bit of training today and he was one of two (the other being Tom Phillips) who stayed after the session finished to work on goal kicking. This guy will do great things for our Club on and off the field!

A first time poster who isn't calling for the coach to be sacked and the Holden centre to be burnt down? Shocked

Welcome aboard. Very Happy

I agree, Treloar will be a gun for us. Wink

Ads7 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you - good to be here!

Haha no, not just yet. I will assess our situation at the end of the season.

Expecting Treloar to be at least in the top 3 for the Copeland (Pendles and Sidey perhaps taking the other two spots)
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 pm

I predict that Adz will be our next captain.
Al Swearengen 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I predict Adz will be All Australian this year.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Skidstronamus can see him kicking 3 majors this week.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm

One of the most thrilling moments of last week's game was the moment that Treloar tapped that ball just over the hand of the cats player so that he could collect it and then pass it to Cox for that now-famous goal. Great players are made from those split-second instincts. He's a jet and there is better to come, I suspect.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Ads7 wrote:
Hi Pie fans,

A first time poster who isn't calling for the coach to be sacked and the Holden centre to be burnt down? Shocked

Welcome aboard. Very Happy

I agree, Treloar will be a gun for us. Wink

treloar in disguise.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:49 pm

Ads7 wrote:
Hi Pie fans,

A good first post and welcome to the board mate! Smile

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Ads7 wrote:
Hi Pie fans,

Boys - there's someone here for the Jack Watts treatment !
Shocked

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Not completely sold on Treloar.
wish he was 190cm and not 182cm
An excellent player but I am not sure whether he is a champion.
We paid a champion price.

I actually said the same thing to a mate when we were after Buckley when he was in the SANFL.

He was billed then as a centre/half forward and at first i thought he was a highly billed CHF. When I realised he was a midfielder I spat the dummy. I recall saying that we need another fkn midfielder like an ash tray on a motor cycle.

He turned out OK. Embarassed Wink

But you have the advantage of hindsight with bucks.

I think Thommsoc is within his right to cast a watchful eye over Treloar.

No doubt he is "tracking right" but we did pay top dollar. We paid more than Geelong did for danger. I know we had to, we had no choice where as Geelong had all the leverage in their trade.

Trades aside and in the wash .....they paid less for an established absolute gun. We paid more for a guy who looks like he will be an absolute gun.

But being one and looking like you likely will be one are two different things.

I think we are all quietly confident, but he needs that extra little something to be in the same class. That might come simply through age, experience, a full pre season etc etc.... Point is he isn't there yet. And until he absolutely is. Some level of skeptisism is ok in my books.

Although he is averaging over a goal a game? I'd like to see him start slotting a few more on the run. He certainly gets himself into the right position to do so each week. If he can become an even more damaging finisher....that might just be enough on its own.

It's fine to be cautious in your assessment of the deal, but if you don't make a call at the time it happens I don't think you have much of a basis for rubbishing the club if it eventually doesn't work out. Easy to be smart in hindsight.

For mine there's no doubt that trading for Treloar was the right thing to do. We badly needed another elite player on our list. Treloar is that, or at least very close to becoming one. The two top 10 draft picks we could have had instead are unknowns. The chances of them both being elite is very low, the chances of even one being so is also quite low (pick 7 and pick <probably similar> aren't that great). Even if they eventually reached that standard it would take 4-6 years, that's simply time we don't have. We went heavily into the draft in the last few years and simply did not need any more teenagers on our list.

Looking at the deal: Treloar was a top 10 pick himself (probably top 3-5) and having been in the system for a few years and proven himself worthy of that selection, he is definitely worth more than a top 5 pick now (always doubt over picks and they will always have less value than an established player). We gave up two first round picks and also received a second round pick in return, so we paid a little less than two top 10 picks. The value of the second first rounder we gave up was also reduced, due to uncertainty: where would we finish in 2016?

I don't think there's any way we can be seen to have paid well over value for Treloar. Any argument would be around the edges and given the points above about the state of our list and the certainty of an established player over unknown rookies that will take years to reach their peak, I think it's clear that the right choice was made. If we'd passed up on such a deal there would rightly have been an outcry.

The other thing to consider in terms of our list build is that we also picked up Aish in the same draft period. Another top 10 pick to replace the extra one we potentially gave up for Treloar (depends where we finish). Whether we supporters rate him as a top 10 pick or not (his trade value was a little less than that) it is where he was taken and there's no guarantee any potential draftee would have been better, again they'd also take a few more years to reach their best.

tl;dr? One in the hand is worth two in the bush. In trading for Treloar we got one established, very good, almost elite player, and gave up the rights to a little less than two unknowns with potential who at best could reach his standard in 4-5 years time.

Ok a few points.....

I don't intend to "rubbish the club" should the trade not work out. Not sure where you came up with that.

Yes I am cautious in my assessment. Because he is not of the caliber of Dangerfield yet.

I'm confident he will become a gun. So I am not trying to use future hindsight Shocked to be smart. My money is where my mouth is....this is my prediction.

It was a necessary and good trade. This has always been my opinion on it.

He's not quite there yet....(you appear to agree with that) which happens to be my main point.

And I never said we paid over......I said we paid more than Geelong comparatively. And I eluded there were good reasons for this that couldn't be avoided.

Geelong got a proven top shelf player, we got one that looks like he might be.

IMO He needs to continue to develop. Though he is very close.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am

Mugwump wrote:
One of the most thrilling moments of last week's game was the moment that Treloar tapped that ball just over the hand of the cats player so that he could collect it and then pass it to Cox for that now-famous goal. Great players are made from those split-second instincts. He's a jet and there is better to come, I suspect.

My only regret is that we haven't seen Treloar and Swan playing in the same side together (apart from about 30 seconds worth). Maybe next year I guess.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Yep that was very nice ! Cool

www.facebook/the hybernators
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Ads7 wrote:
Hi Pie fans,

Welcome aboard. Was Crocker late off the track too? Every training session I've been to, he has stayed back to have extra practice, usually with Phillips and Jeremy Howe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: