Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Adam Treloar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
We still owe Foitscray big time for their bid on Moore.

Exactly, could easily have been like Melbourne and Viney.

What happened there mate? If another club bid on him, they weren't exactly disadvantaged that year, as they traded picks to us for Dawes?
Viney was a steal at pick #26, the rest from 27 onwards reads as a spud farm, not many making an impact at AFL level...
They should be drawn and quartered however for selecting Toumpas ahead of Stringer or Wines; that is a FAIL every day of the week.

4 Jimmy Toumpas Melbourne Woodville-West Torrens 2012
5 Jake Stringer Western Bulldogs Bendigo U18 2012
6 Jack Macrae Western Bulldogs Oakleigh U18 2012
7 Ollie Wines Port Adelaide Bendigo U18 2012

18 Brodie Grundy Collingwood Sturt 2012
19 Ben Kennedy Collingwood Glenelg 2012
20 Tim Broomhead Collingwood Port Adelaide (SANFL) 2012
21 Nathan Hrovat Western Bulldogs Northern U18 2012
22 Dean Towers Sydney Swans North Ballarat VFL 2012
23 Marco Paparone Brisbane Lions East Fremantle 2012
24 Nathan Wright St Kilda Dandenong U18 2012
25 Spencer White St Kilda Western U18 2012
26 Jack Viney Melbourne Casey Scorpions 2012

Yeah, GWS was the only club before Melbourne and they elected not to bid which meant the Dees were able to grab Viney in the 2nd round and Toumpas at 4. Lucky they didn't grab Stringer or Wines.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:53 am

Thanks Daz; and back to Treloar, do we think he is off the boil, playing injured, or doing enough?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am

^Almost 30 possessions, 9 clearances and 9 tackles and a fine snap for goal over his shoulder in the last quarter.........I reckon he's still doing plenty.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 am

^ that goal in the last was sheer unadulterated class. One touch football, in congestion, and bang. His shooting for goal when he has time to settle is not as good, but i think it'll all come. It is easy to forget how young he is, amd what he might be like when he is Pendlebury's age. He is one of the many reasons i am starting to feel pretty good about this young team that we are building. I can't wait to see Scharenberg come back next year with bionic knees. With luck, this is another top ten draft pick coming through.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 am

piedys wrote:
Thanks Daz; and back to Treloar, do we think he is off the boil, playing injured, or doing enough?

I thought he was in and out of the game Saturday. Had patches where he was very very good, others where he went completely missing and/or was 2nd to the ball, hence the tackle count and his sub-30 disposals. Didn't have him in my top 5. Ball use was better this week.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:18 pm

His clearance work was much improved against the Wiggles and his second quarter was particularly good. Unfortunately, he still gets a lot of stats for handballing backwards and sideways to little actual effect. I also note that, between them, Treloar and Adams had 10 kicks in the third quarter but only managed to hit targets twice - that, coupled with Sidebottom getting his hands on the football much less in the third quarter (before he kicked the goal of the week) led to Collingwood almost coughing up its lead. The second-tier midfielders (that is, all of them after Pendlebury and Sidebottom) really need to do more with the ball in hand.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
His clearance work was much improved against the Wiggles and his second quarter was particularly good. Unfortunately, he still gets a lot of stats for handballing backwards and sideways to little actual effect. I also note that, between them, Treloar and Adams had 10 kicks in the third quarter but only managed to hit targets twice - that, coupled with Sidebottom getting his hands on the football much less in the third quarter (before he kicked the goal of the week) led to Collingwood almost coughing up its lead. The second-tier midfielders (that is, all of them after Pendlebury and Sidebottom) really need to do more with the ball in hand.

Agree, but I think that will improve with age and experience.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I reckon a good many of Treloar's kicks out of packs were delivered under severe pressure. Unlike Pebdles, who is more of an outside midfielder, Treloar is often at the bottom of packs and throwing the ball on his boot to get it in our direction. Where he does need to improve is in running shots for goal. If he can improve on that over the pres-season, he could come into contention for a Brownlow imho.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Would have kicked at Least 20 Goals this year if he could balance when running inside 50.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:46 pm

BBHS wrote:
Would have kicked at Least 20 Goals this year if he could balance when running inside 50.

Something that experience will fix.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Lazza wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Something that experience will fix.

More like 3 or 4 goals. Smile

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:24 pm

I think he's probably coming second in our best and fairest,so he's had a pretty good year.

I also think he's struggling with some sort of injury,maybe a groin.He was kicking the ball longer earlier in the year than he is now.I've seen him kick goals from 50 metres on the run when he played for GWS,but he can't get that distance now,so I think something is troubling him.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:55 pm

If that is the case, we'd be crazy to play him at all, given finals are out of the question, for this year.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 pm

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agree, but I think that will improve with age and experience.

I thought I should try to put a little flesh on the bones of my comment about Treloar's handballing, so I've had a look at his numbers.

If you take Treloar's stats for the 2016 season up to the Wiggles game last weekend and re-order his games from most to least handballs, you'll see that in the 11 games where he's had 18 handballs or more, Collingwood has lost 8 and won only 3 (Brisbane, Geelong and Essendon). By contrast, if you reverse the table and order it from least to most handballs, you'll see that Collingwood has won 6 of the 9 games in which he's had 18 handballs or less.

You will also see that there appears to be an inverse correlation of some significance between the number of kicks and the number of handballs he has in a game - by which I mean that the fewer kicks he has, the more handballs he seems to have, all other things being equal (that can also be observed by re-ordering his 2016 stats from least kicks to most kicks). The most obvious example (and it is just an example) is his round 3 effort in the loss against St Kilda (25 disposals, comprised of 5 kicks and 20 handballs).

It might not be Treloar's fault (it might, eg, be an ineffective defensive midfield that isn't blocking for him adequately) but it seems to me to have resulted in Treloar having some of the least influential 30+ disposal games I have ever seen (the losses to Sydney, West Coast, Melbourne in round 12 and Adelaide come to mind), as well as some other innocuous efforts (St Kilda, Carlton - both times but especially round 7, Port Adelaide).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:26 am

Figures updated to last night's Footscray game - we have now lost 9 and won 3 in games where Treloar has had 18+ handballs (22 last night). He played very well and one effort to get the ball forward by scrambling around the boundary on his own in the dying moments was especially captivating. I thought that was probably his best game for Collingwood, because it was against competent opposition.

I suspect that his overuse of handball to limited effect is part of a broader problem with the team's strategy. In any event, it's something that needs to be sorted, either with the game plan generally or with his ball use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: