Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Nathan Buckley Too Normal to Succeed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez07 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenwood played his best game last year when he went to Selwood and played a dedicated tagging role on him. This year he ran with Zakaharis and that has been the sum of his tagging roles. It's all coaching.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:41 pm

John Wren wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
I would make one hell of a coach then.

i may regret asking this but, how?

lack of empathy?
intolerance?
impatience?
unhinged?

Ed wouldn't have you Mr Sugar.
He would have to put a Sugar tax on all the members
because all the lollipopers would walk off with Bux.
You are not part of the Corporate world!
Bring back Skase and Bond!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm

The article is full of questions and assumptions, but few facts and absolutely no answers.

Obviously it provides a narrative for the Buckley haters to hang their hat on. Personally, I don't buy it. I don't buy it for one reason and one reason only. Bucks is too smart not to recognise these 'weaknesses' and to address them, if indeed they exist.
Jez07 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The article is full of questions and assumptions, but few facts and absolutely no answers.

Obviously it provides a narrative for the Buckley haters to hang their hat on. Personally, I don't buy it. I don't buy it for one reason and one reason only. Bucks is too smart not to recognise these 'weaknesses' and to address them, if indeed they exist.

So you are knocking the article because it's an assumption and then make one yourself? :lol:
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

What smart are you talking about Rudeboy?
Rat smart?
Street smart?
Intellectual smart?
Smart arse?
Some of the greatest footballers on the planet are mentally challenged but they are very smart on the footy field.
You have to have a few other things than just being smart to be an excellent coach.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 pm

I've always felt that AFL coaching turns you insane if you last the distance, so if Buckley can last through to the end of his contract extension next year, we will have a coach as certifiably insane as Clarkson and Malthouse. We can then sit back and enjoy premiership after premiership from 2018 onwards under a changed Nathan Buckley. Posters here on Nicks will be complaining that although we are winning under Buckley, he should be replaced because they can't stand his personality.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I've always felt that AFL coaching turns you insane if you last the distance, so if Buckley can last through to the end of his contract extension next year, we will have a coach as cerifiably insane as Clarkson and Malthouse. We can then sit back and enjoy premiership after premiership from 2018 onwards under a changed Nathan Buckley. Posters here on Nicks will be complaining that although we are winning under Buckley, he should be replaced because they can't stand his personality.

Tell them your dreaming!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:12 pm

John Wren wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
I would make one hell of a coach then.

i may regret asking this but, how?

lack of empathy?
intolerance?
impatience?
unhinged?

Shit, if that's the criteria I'm sending eddie my application. All bases covered. Razz Laughing

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 pm

I do note that Paul Roos was mentioned in the same 'sane' category as Bucks. Go figure.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Redlight wrote:
This sort of stuff is the bread and butter of the press when there's blood in the water, there's a ton of opinion, speculation, half-truth and mistakes in there.

For a start;

"Being part lunatic is certainly no impediment to AFL coaching success. Clarkson and Ross Lyon have a healthy dose of it"
Not serving him very well at the moment, is it? Maybe he became too normal over the Christmas break.

"(Malthouse) he always had something up his sleeve. He’d sit peering through binoculars, plotting and scheming. Opposition supporters always expected the unexpected."
What? The constantly made criticism of Mick was that he had no plan 'B', that he was too set in his ways and too committed to playing the boundary. Some even went as far as to say that his failure to have 'something up his sleeve' cost us the flag in 2011.

"Anyone with a hint of spunk is now playing elsewhere. Many of them are playing very well indeed."
So, those 'players with spunk' consist of Heath Shaw?

"He can’t control his President going on radio every morning and crapping on about the all-encompassing magnificence of a football club that’s won two premierships in six decades."
The 'go to' put down of Collingwood haters everywhere. I think the fact that we're still the biggest show in town despite that unfortunate fact is a perfect proof of the club's 'all-encompassing magnificence'.

"On Saturday, the six-time best and fairest winner was out-coached by a man who played local Tasmanian football."
Apparently you can only lose by being 'out coached', there are no other factors. Gotcha.

So what's left in that article? Let me summarise, "Can Buckley coach? We don't know".

Now, where did I put that Walkley Award?

Absolutely nailed it
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:20 am

Jez07 wrote:
You don't know much about football.

Well who does compared to you? I certainly know less than Buckley, and according to you he's completely clueless.

Mind you, I'd rather be in his company than yours.

You claimed 'coaching your own side' at a lower level was crucial.

My point stands, I'm not convinced that coaching St Bedes is any better an indicator that the two week Under 16's comp. I think that may be a myth that belongs in the 'if you haven't played in a premiership then you can't coach one' category. It sounds reasonable, but where's the evidence?

Brad Scott, currently coaching the top of the ladder North, hadn't had his own team before becoming senior coach. He went straight from playing to assistant at Collingwood.

Chris Scott, coach of number two on the ladder, hasn't.

John Longmire, coach of the third place team, hasn't either.

Maybe you should contact them all and tell them they're doomed to fail.

Maybe start with the premiership coaches.
Jez07 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:24 am

John Longmire coached the Sydney NEAFL team for a year as part of his succession there.

If you think that coaching a side week in, week out, at a senior level with grown adults is the same as coaching an U16 side for 2 weeks is comparable, you have rocks in your head.

And for reference, the best coach in the AFL, Al Clarkson coached his own side in the SANFL before he was considered for Hawthorn.
Magpies035 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 am

Success ultimately needs to be measured by wins and loses.
Our ultimate aim is a Premiership
Is the style we play under the whole coaching staff lead by Nathan Buckley a winning formula?
How and when do we come to this conclusion?

Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 am

Jez07 wrote:
John Longmire coached the Sydney NEAFL team for a year as part of his succession there.

If you think that coaching a side week in, week out, at a senior level with grown adults is the same as coaching an U16 side for 2 weeks is comparable, you have rocks in your head.

And for reference, the best coach in the AFL, Al Clarkson coached his own side in the SANFL before he was considered for Hawthorn.

You're just avoiding the point. Again.

You said senior coaches having their own side at a lower level is 'critical' I don't think it is.

There only needs to be one successful AFL coach without that background for your argument to collapse.

There is. It has.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am

Jez07 wrote:

what year did longmire coach in the neafl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: