Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Nathan Buckley Too Normal to Succeed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
how many of you are the same people you were a few years ago?

I'm not the same person I was when I joined Nick's 15 years ago. Back then I was friendly, outgoing and confident. Now I sit alone in a dark room reading Nick's and banging my head against the wall. I have been worn down.

Bucks admits he was not a leader or a positive influence before he became captain. He learned a lot on the job. Buckley is capable of being flexible and thinking outside the box. I'm still backing him and I'm hoping he gets a bit of luck and that his players start working harder for him, for each other and for us. Too many of the young blokes are putting-in only when it suits them. Crisp, DeGoey spring to mind.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 pm

John Wren wrote:
perhaps some of you are not giving buckley enough credit to be able to either change or demonstrate traits which weren't always on show during his playing days. if buckley was still as you think he is we'd have known well before now. the likes of swanny, i presume, would have been long gone most likely of his own volition. it is very easy to make character judgements based on something you saw many years ago. how many of you are the same people you were a few years ago?

By Swan's own words he has been nearly kicked out of CFC a few times.
I have no doubt that Bux's first instinct would be to sack him, but he is capable of controlling himself to this degree for the greater good.
But I think he follows the formula!
I don't think he is capable of seeing outside the box, or seeing that crack and going for it.
I think he is somewhat a robot that had too long an association with Leading Teams.
Strangely enough I think if he is given an excellent team he would succeed.
He was given a very good one in 2012 and got to the top 4.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Jez07 wrote:
It's why coaching your own side is critical.

Luke Beveridge took St Bedes/Mentone from C Grade to an A Grade flag before he immersed himself in the AFL system.

Alan Richardson also coached at East Burwood with great success before he also immersed himself in the AFL system.

Is coaching St Bedes really any more impressive than coaching the Vic Country kids to the premiership? Neither is of great relevance, except in hindsight, I would think.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:

I'm not the same person I was when I joined Nick's 15 years ago. Back then I was friendly, outgoing and confident. Now I sit alone in a dark room reading Nick's and banging my head against the wall. I have been worn down.

Bucks admits he was not a leader or a positive influence before he became captain. He learned a lot on the job. Buckley is capable of being flexible and thinking outside the box. I'm still backing him and I'm hoping he gets a bit of luck and that his players start working harder for him, for each other and for us. Too many of the young blokes are putting-in only when it suits them. Crisp, DeGoey spring to mind.

When has Bux thought outside the Box?
I would love some examples.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Too many of the young blokes are putting-in only when it suits them. Crisp, DeGoey spring to mind.

this i wholeheartedly agree with. last year they were relatively good. you would hope they would not become complacent because of that and knowing that competition is scarce right now. second year blues at a big club.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 pm

John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Too many of the young blokes are putting-in only when it suits them. Crisp, DeGoey spring to mind.

this i wholeheartedly agree with. last year they were relatively good. you would hope they would not become complacent because of that and knowing that competition is scarce right now. second year blues at a big club.

I thought De Goey had been pretty good this year?

Crisp I'll give you...

And Levi Greenwood has become a real plodder (or Greenwood Levi as the fence graphic had him as)

Jez07 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 pm

Redlight wrote:
Jez07 wrote:
It's why coaching your own side is critical.

Luke Beveridge took St Bedes/Mentone from C Grade to an A Grade flag before he immersed himself in the AFL system.

Alan Richardson also coached at East Burwood with great success before he also immersed himself in the AFL system.

Is coaching St Bedes really any more impressive than coaching the Vic Country kids to the premiership? Neither is of great relevance, except in hindsight, I would think.

You don't know much about football.

The amatuers is a very high standard of football. It has AFL players in the A Section and is the highest standard of football under the VFL. A team has never won C Grade, B Grade & A Grade in successive years in the 100 year history of the competition until Beveridge did

An Under 16 Country side is together for 2 weeks. It has the best juniors from the country at 16.

It isn't proper coaching.

You have players of one age. You don't have adults of varying ages like a senior side does.

Last edited by Jez07 on Wed May 11, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:50 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Crisp I'll give you...

And Levi Greenwood has become a real plodder (or Greenwood Levi as the fence graphic had him as)

not from what i have observed. our opinions may well differ but he has not been the shining light i thought he would be coming into his second year. there's things he has done that just look off and lack consideration for the situation.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Crisp I'll give you...

I'm with Neil - I expressed the view that De Goey should have been dropped after the Essendon game - for attitude, as much as output. Plays a little like he may believe his own press - perhaps I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm

John Wren wrote:
[quote="The_Staunton"][quote="John Wren"][quote="Neil Appleby"][quote="John Wren"]how many of you are the same people you were a few years ago?[/quote]Too many of the young blokes are putting-in only when it suits them. Crisp, DeGoey spring to mind.[/quote]

this i wholeheartedly agree with. last year they were relatively good. you would hope they would not become complacent because of that and knowing that competition is scarce right now. second year blues at a big club.[/quote]

Crisp I'll give you...

And Levi Greenwood has become a real plodder (or Greenwood Levi as the fence graphic had him as)[/quote]

not from what i have observed. our opinions may well differ but he has not been the shining light i thought he would be coming into his second year. there's things he has done that just look off and lack consideration for the situation.
That was before I was born.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Crisp I'll give you...

I'm with Neil - I expressed the view that De Goey should have been dropped after the Essendon game - for attitude, as much as output. Plays a little like he may believe his own press - perhaps I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

OK, that's fair, I've thought he's been OK for a 2nd year player, his defensive work needs some work, but I don't think he's been the worst.

Greenwood and Aish are probably my two main bugbears at the moment, particularly the latter. Completely unsure what he's supposed to do as a footballer and what his role is (apart from being invisible).

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Crisp I'll give you...

OK, that's fair, I've thought he's been OK for a 2nd year player, his defensive work needs some work, but I don't think he's been the worst.

Greenwood and Aish are probably my two main bugbears at the moment, particularly the latter. Completely unsure what he's supposed to do as a footballer and what his role is (apart from being invisible).

you are not wrong in saying he has not been the worst but he certainly hasn't been as good as he can be.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:30 pm

I would make one hell of a coach then.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Redlight wrote:
This sort of stuff is the bread and butter of the press when there's blood in the water, there's a ton of opinion, speculation, half-truth and mistakes in there.

For a start;

"Being part lunatic is certainly no impediment to AFL coaching success. Clarkson and Ross Lyon have a healthy dose of it"
Not serving him very well at the moment, is it? Maybe he became too normal over the Christmas break.

"(Malthouse) he always had something up his sleeve. He’d sit peering through binoculars, plotting and scheming. Opposition supporters always expected the unexpected."
What? The constantly made criticism of Mick was that he had no plan 'B', that he was too set in his ways and too committed to playing the boundary. Some even went as far as to say that his failure to have 'something up his sleeve' cost us the flag in 2011.

"Anyone with a hint of spunk is now playing elsewhere. Many of them are playing very well indeed."
So, those 'players with spunk' consist of Heath Shaw?

"He can’t control his President going on radio every morning and crapping on about the all-encompassing magnificence of a football club that’s won two premierships in six decades."
The 'go to' put down of Collingwood haters everywhere. I think the fact that we're still the biggest show in town despite that unfortunate fact is a perfect proof of the club's 'all-encompassing magnificence'.

"On Saturday, the six-time best and fairest winner was out-coached by a man who played local Tasmanian football."
Apparently you can only lose by being 'out coached', there are no other factors. Gotcha.

So what's left in that article? Let me summarise, "Can Buckley coach? We don't know".

Now, where did I put that Walkley Award?

Good post - the article reads well and is interesting - until you test ot against reality. Then it looks like a theory which is in search of facts, and finding rather few.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
I would make one hell of a coach then.

i may regret asking this but, how?

lack of empathy?
intolerance?
impatience?
unhinged?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: