Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We are where we are, it is what it is.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow everyone just take a deep breath. The OP was stating that we have a young list AND that some of our players aren't as experienced as they could be if they weren't injured. That's pretty obvious.

When you're sporting team / company / women's prison chef isn't preforming it's obvious to question the boss - who's in charge? - and in our case that's Buckley and he's said that himself, he's responsible for this team and the buck stops with him. It's not necessarily his fault, but one has to question if his direction is the right way or not. Having blind faith one way or the other is a different story. Anyone who says we're not playing better than we did in round one isn't watching the football or is watching through rose coloured glasses.

Anyone who thinks we're a premiership threat next week is dreaming. But to say the ONLY problem is Buckley is naive, and to think that sacking him would be a quick fix the same. I think our team needs to show two things:
1. Improvement in skills and decision making
2. Improvement in off the ball knowledge / implementation of the defensive AND offensive elements of the game plan.

If they do those two things by the end of the year (and I think we're starting to show that) then I think Buckley has done his job and the boys are on the right track. If not, then the coaches position must be questioned and, particularly, is there anyone better suited for the job?

BUT I have to ask - why does every thread turn into a sack Buckley / keep Buckley thread? Can't we discuss the team and the players and their application to the game plan (which is pretty obvious if you watch the game, even if you don't like the game plan we have one, it just doesn't work at the moment!) without trying to blame one person for our failings all the time?

- Ben

- Ben
Jez07 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:05 pm

The club internally didn't believe it was rebuilding when they traded this year's pick. They thought they would be a lot higher than they are.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:14 pm

^

Without all the injuries, we would be and may yet will be. It's a long season and we aren't cooked yet.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Brown26 wrote:
Wow everyone just take a deep breath. The OP was stating that we have a young list AND that some of our players aren't as experienced as they could be if they weren't injured. That's pretty obvious.

When you're sporting team / company / women's prison chef isn't preforming it's obvious to question the boss - who's in charge? - and in our case that's Buckley and he's said that himself, he's responsible for this team and the buck stops with him. It's not necessarily his fault, but one has to question if his direction is the right way or not. Having blind faith one way or the other is a different story. Anyone who says we're not playing better than we did in round one isn't watching the football or is watching through rose coloured glasses.

Anyone who thinks we're a premiership threat next week is dreaming. But to say the ONLY problem is Buckley is naive, and to think that sacking him would be a quick fix the same. I think our team needs to show two things:
2. Improvement in off the ball knowledge / implementation of the defensive AND offensive elements of the game plan.

If they do those two things by the end of the year (and I think we're starting to show that) then I think Buckley has done his job and the boys are on the right track. If not, then the coaches position must be questioned and, particularly, is there anyone better suited for the job?

BUT I have to ask - why does every thread turn into a sack Buckley / keep Buckley thread? Can't we discuss the team and the players and their application to the game plan (which is pretty obvious if you watch the game, even if you don't like the game plan we have one, it just doesn't work at the moment!) without trying to blame one person for our failings all the time?

- Ben

- Ben

SPOT ON BEN well said, a very lucid and sensible post, in a week of glass half empties . Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:00 am

Jez07 wrote:
The club internally didn't believe it was rebuilding when they traded this year's pick. They thought they would be a lot higher than they are.

It might be best if you could phrase your guesses and presumptions as just that, instead of objective fact.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:25 am

Redlight wrote:
Jez07 wrote:

It might be best if you could phrase your guesses and presumptions as just that, instead of objective fact.

True, even though its obviously true what he says... only a fool would believe otherwise - it makes zero sense trading away our pick otherwise.
Jez07 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:47 am

Yes. Please explain why they would trade Pick 7 in 2015 and currently Pick 5 in 2016.

Surely if you were rebuilding, the cornerstone of your rebuild would be multiple Top 7 picks in successive drafts.

This is why this year such a wasted year. The first pick we will have for finishing in the bottom 5/6 is a pick in the 20's.

With GWS having access to 5 X Top 25 rated players, that pick will be even further bumped down the order. Our first pick this year could be around the 25/30 mark. An unmitigated disaster.

As bad as Tony Shaw was as coach, when he left Collingwood he gave Malthouse the 1st Pick in the draft and the 3rd Pick (which was downgraded). A bottom 5/6 finish this year would end Buckley's coaching career and he is leaving the next coach with a pick in the late 20's to show for this year.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Brown26 wrote:

- Ben

- Ben

SPOT ON BEN well said, a very lucid and sensible post, in a week of glass half empties . Wink

I would have agreed Ben - a couple of years ago… however the skills of our players has gone backwards and I believe it is not just about personal ability it is a game plan that is not suitable and effective…

I will be rapt to be wrong and hope to see the same signs you have noticed against some of the teams pushing for the 8 or even the top teams - however for now I am just hoping we can beat the other cellar dwellers and avoid a spoon!

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:32 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Brown26 wrote:

- Ben

- Ben

I would have agreed Ben - a couple of years ago… however the skills of our players has gone backwards and I believe it is not just about personal ability it is a game plan that is not suitable and effective…

I will be rapt to be wrong and hope to see the same signs you have noticed against some of the teams pushing for the 8 or even the top teams - however for now I am just hoping we can beat the other cellar dwellers and avoid a spoon!

I honestly can't say that the skills of the players have gone backwards. More the lack of cohesion amongst the group of players we field each week and that's due to the unstable lineup we have each week and that's caused by injuries and loss of form of some players. The loss of form is understandable given players are playing alongside a number of first and second year players who are still coming to terms with how tough it is to play AFL footy. Players need to have trust with their teammates as to where to run to, where to cover their space, who and where to kick the ball and when to join the contest or run back to cover the space. If your teammates aren't covering for you, you end up getting less of the ball and you lose confidence and your form drops off and then you find yourself out of the team. It's like that for Cloke and Brown. They should be the first two chosen in the team so it's sad to have to watch them n the VFL. It's just the circumstances we find ourselves in and nothing to do with the coach, the admin or the fitness guy and the only way of getting out of this situation is a lot of hard work on the training track to get our confidence back with a bit of luck on the injury front.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Jez07 wrote:
Yes. Please explain why they would trade Pick 7 in 2015 and currently Pick 5 in 2016.

Surely if you were rebuilding, the cornerstone of your rebuild would be multiple Top 7 picks in successive drafts.

This is why this year such a wasted year. The first pick we will have for finishing in the bottom 5/6 is a pick in the 20's.

With GWS having access to 5 X Top 25 rated players, that pick will be even further bumped down the order. Our first pick this year could be around the 25/30 mark. An unmitigated disaster.

As bad as Tony Shaw was as coach, when he left Collingwood he gave Malthouse the 1st Pick in the draft and the 3rd Pick (which was downgraded). A bottom 5/6 finish this year would end Buckley's coaching career and he is leaving the next coach with a pick in the late 20's to show for this year.

Did you not read the OP??
How would it help our current situation to bring in a couple more 18 year olds that'll take a couple of years to get up to speed??

We've got a group to take us forward, they need to play together. The nucleus of a very good football side is there.
Of course you'll add one or two and lose one or two here and there, but this is the group we're going with and a high draft pick at the end if this year would make the difference equivalent to 7/8 of SFA.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:02 pm

I know for a fact there is a full scale review of our football department currently underway. Unless we start to improve significantly, and soon, I expect there will be a big turn over of assistant coaches at the end of the season. Bucks will coach us in 2017.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:31 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Brown26 wrote:

- Ben

- Ben

I honestly can't say that the skills of the players have gone backwards. More the lack of cohesion amongst the group of players we field each week and that's due to the unstable lineup we have each week and that's caused by injuries and loss of form of some players. The loss of form is understandable given players are playing alongside a number of first and second year players who are still coming to terms with how tough it is to play AFL footy. Players need to have trust with their teammates as to where to run to, where to cover their space, who and where to kick the ball and when to join the contest or run back to cover the space. If your teammates aren't covering for you, you end up getting less of the ball and you lose confidence and your form drops off and then you find yourself out of the team. It's like that for Cloke and Brown. They should be the first two chosen in the team so it's sad to have to watch them n the VFL. It's just the circumstances we find ourselves in and nothing to do with the coach, the admin or the fitness guy and the only way of getting out of this situation is a lot of hard work on the training track to get our confidence back with a bit of luck on the injury front.

The problem is that the game plan does not accentuate the players strength or team ability…

Working harder on the training track will help - but that is not the answer at the elite level - might work for a local country side but at the top level with millions of dollars and teams of coaches and analysis it takes more than just hours slogging on the track - they all do that and more! These are professionals… I have a sneaking suspicion Buckley agrees with you BIFC and is hoping the training tack will work a few things out - but that is why I am worried!

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I know for a fact there is a full scale review of our football department currently underway. Unless we start to improve significantly, and soon, I expect there will be a big turn over of assistant coaches at the end of the season. Bucks will coach us in 2017.

Who is going to apply to be assistant to Bucks in 2017.
Its an 8 round gig at most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: