Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone happen to notice the kid?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be that Cox gave them the confidence - or it might have been that Sidebottom having 20 disposals and 4 goals by the 2nd minute of the second quarter did the trick. I know where my money is in that particular hypothetical debate.

On topic, I think we would do well to let Smith learn how not to kick the ball OOF under no pressure before we announce him as the "next Swan". I was impressed by his second game and have high hopes but it is, frankly, tedious watching Collingwood players crushed by the weight of unrealistic supporter-expectations, of which this is another classic example. Let's just let the kid play and see how he develops. If he becomes "the next Swan" that will be great - but, sadly, we all know that it is much more likely that people on here will be calling for his sacking in three weeks' time when he hasn't already become the "next Swan".
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Cam wrote:
Jury is out whether he will be a Sam Dwyer or something better than that. Dwyer a magnet too.

Pretty much my thoughts. Looks a little vanilla at this stage. I did like Dwyer though, probably would've been an excellent 80's footballer.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Remember, although he's only played 2 AFL games, he is already 23 yrs, so should be in his prime as a midfielder. It may be that what we see is the finished article. On the other hand, he may steadily improve as he plays more and more footy.

I don't know why, but I'm actually more excited by the possibilities offered by Wills, who looks like the type who could actually impose himself on the contest and turn a game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Smith is just 22 and Wills is about to turn 23. Any player who gets 29 disposals in a team that is trounced on the opposite side of the country deserves a little recognition for his effort. I note - respectfully - that Smith is the same age as Broomhead and he had about 25 more disposals than Broomy last week.

In fact, the only players younger than Smith in the team today will be De Goey, Aish and Moore.

By the way, Smith is in the team because, apart from getting a whole lot of the ball, he can kick a mile - it will take time for him to get (and, indeed, he may never get) the poise to use that weapon in the seniors but that's why he's there. As we all know, penetrating kicks are in short-supply in the seniors, so there's an obvious position for Smith (especially with Ramsay done for the season). Wills is probably back-up for Greenwood and Adams, so it might be a while before he gets a chance, barring injuries.
E 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Smith is quickly becoming the master of kicking it over the head of the lead up forward!! I counted at least 3 today. sadly, for all of his good qualities, you are not much value to a modern AFL team if you cant hit targets up the ground. The pies appear to have gotten a lot of fantastic footballers, all of whom share this one failing. I wonder if that is why we got them. Maybe clubs realized before we did that precise kicking is a value that exceeds nearly every other skill......
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:15 am

I'm a fan! Seen enough to say that he's worth persisting with until it's indisputable that he go back to the reserves at some point.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:47 am

I'm not sold on him. Looks like another very good vfl player and difficult to see him holding a spot once Langdon and Marley return.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:17 am

I like the kid more each time he plays. He's not racking up huge numbers the last few, but much of that is due to our mids keeping it out of the oppo backline. More importantly, like Crocs & Cox he seems quite at home in the big league. He & Crocker do a lot that they don't get a stat for, and I'm quite confident that the pair, along with Maynard & Marsh, will be mainstays of a successful side for years to come. Most seem to have missed the skill of Maynard, he does some amazing stuff, but of course at that age that's going to lead to some fabulous cock-ups too. Goodyear was certainly one of the best in the Magoos awesome win. One pundit gave Cloke BOG and nothing for Goldy, the other I saw did the reverse, but both gave Goody votes. We are slowly getting enough guys back to put a little pressure on the guys upstairs. If we keep winning that will only improve (losses & injuries are best mates). It's a shame the coach doesn't think we can win all our games, I do! But I guess he cancels me out. 😡

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:26 am

yesterdays game showed that with the right mind set [fabric of the coach] the team out there needs to do a job. crocker and smith did there part at crucial moments in the game. those crucial moments in the game were every touch they had. every touch they had helped the team achieve the right result. both lads show energy and footballing ability.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:47 am

And let's not forget we were playing the big bodies of Geelong. Compare him to Dwyer? Absolutely, and for what he cost us Sammy was an absolute steal.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Yes, like Blair he can add something and be the cream on the cake if we have enough quality cake to surround him with. Getting better each week and quite a zippy little linkman.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:16 pm

agree with the comparisons to dwyer - which isn't really an insult. dwyer was a very reliable player but never really set the world on fire.

smith seems to be the same; neat with the ball, knows how to find it but isn't overly damaging with it. having said that, he seems to do the right thing with the ball (aside from a few rookie-errors here and there as he finds his feet).

doesn't really seem to have a string to his bow at this stage but it's only early days.
MP magpie 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:33 pm

I will be Mr. Negative here.. he needs to keep the focus at all times.

Menzels 50 metre goal - he marked on the 50 line, yet Smith stood 40 metres out for the mark. Menzel runs in and drills it, kicked about a foot in front of where he marked it. Frustrating and shouldn't have happened.

Silly error, needs to get better in that regard. But this kid has a fair bit of potential.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:25 pm

His ball use was excellent yesterday and he's getting dramatically better in the one on one contests. He is way ahead of Maynard in my pecking order, at the moment.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 pm

MP magpie wrote:
I will be Mr. Negative here.. he needs to keep the focus at all times.

Menzels 50 metre goal - he marked on the 50 line, yet Smith stood 40 metres out for the mark. Menzel runs in and drills it, kicked about a foot in front of where he marked it. Frustrating and shouldn't have happened.

Silly error, needs to get better in that regard. But this kid has a fair bit of potential.

That happened a few times yesterday (not just to Smith) and I was going nuts. I don't know if this was a mental breakdown or an umpiring mistake though. They could have just got the mark wrong.

I think this kids ok, but nothing more. Definitely a bit vanilla, ordinary pace, ordinary decision making, ordinary skills, but a good nose for the ball. He seems like the kind of player who'll hang around a few years, play about 100-150 games and then leave. Still, much better than Maynard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: