Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies down to Weagles. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
I expected us to lose by 10 goals today so that prediction came true, but there were enough signs today to not be completely negative but seeing the first and last quarter would have been very disheartening for any passionate supporter of this club.

I was actually impressed by the way we evened things up in the second quarter and I thought our third quarter performance was our best quarter of the year, but to see us undo all that hard work in the final quarter and receive a 10-goal belting was very disappointing. The moment two of our players slipped over and Sinclair appeared to be concussed was a momentum killer and really the end for us today.

For a second gamer, Mason Cox continues to impress me. The guy plays with so much heart and passion that he seems to lift those around him despite being a late arrival to the game. Darcy Moore had his moments but our inability to hit targets was always going to make it hard for our forwards to kick goals easily. Crisp played his best game of the year which was promising after some calls for him to be dropped in previous weeks. Grundy was excellent in the second and third quarter against Nic Nat.

Disappointing performance by Nathan Brown who was completely outplayed against Josh Kennedy. We shouldn't be too harsh on Josh Smith as he's only played two games but his turnovers were costly at numerous times but at least his ability to find the ball is promising. Broomhead was very underwhelming and I'm starting to wonder whether he'll make the grade now as he's in his fourth year and he hasn't been able to break into the side for various reasons.

Our defensive structures were deplorable and our continual insistence to implement a zone defence that doesn't work and we cannot execute properly is very frustrating to watch.

At least their were some positives today but we have a lot of work to do to get up to scratch and be a finals team assuming that's what the club is still aiming for after six rounds. Nothing today convinces me that we're necessarily heading down the right path under this coaching group.

I agree with everything noted. The only comment is that to be fair you need to let Broomhead have a consistent run of 4 or 5 games so as to give him the opportunity to get up to speed and jell with the team.

A very disappointing finish when considering the efforts made in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Also losing Langdon didn't help.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

I'd say Varcoe will be back this week. But what do know about Adams?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:58 am

mudlark wrote:
bally12 wrote:
I can't help but think a split-second moment was pivotal early in this match.

2nd goal for the Eagles..Brown tracking the ball back towards the goal-square and let's it run on for a goal. He should have been diving at that ball in the same desperate way Heater and Maxy would have, taking any "lucky" bounces out of the equation. Piss-poor effort. Wanted to turn off the tv after that. Doesn't exactly inspire his teammates when they see a "leader" of the club doing that.

I also noted a few times, we had the opportunity to nail Eagles players accepting a handball, while our player was running at him with full momentum. Instead, our players put in a few short steps, to then lay a ho-hum self-preservation regulation tackle. Remember that tackle by Maxy against that Geelong player in the centre of the MCG when that Cats player was running full tilt and Maxy tackled him like he had hit a brick wall? That's what I"m talking about. Make a statement Pies. Play like you mean it.

Yes!!I remember thinking the same thing when Brown did that Bally.His 3rd qtr was a abad as I've seen from a defender and could well have cost us not being in front at 3/4 time.He is finished as far as I can see.If they dropped Cloke for being inept then he surely must be next.

Nah, nine times out of ten that ball would have bounced up to brown and he slowed slightly to be balanced when it did so. It's what any experienced footballer would do. He just got a bad bounce. Maxwell's save - one of the great heroic moments in Collingwood's history - was to get fingertips to a ball that was clearly going through the goal.

Brown did not have a good game, but Kennedy is a hard bloke to play on normally, and especially when the Weagles are the dominant team of the day.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Rarely ever say this after a 10 goal loss, but liked what I saw at stages. Obviously really disliked other stages too.
Let's be honest, everything had to go right for us to be anywhere near it today, but despite the fact not much went right we were a realistic show at 3/4 time..

Yep, I actually thought there were some positives. We matched them for half the game and had some good passages of play. This, given that we had 7 players under 25 games, no Varcoe, Adams, Elliott or Swan, playing interstate on a home ground fortress, against last year's runners up and off a six day break.
I think some perspective is needed.

Perspective is something sadly lacking on this board. This will always be a 'glass half empty' joint.

There is some huge upside to this team. Compare us to Richmond.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am

Oi, who's in charge of that weekly report voting poll?

I wanna cast my vote.

Was that your doing Caringbush?

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am

The highlight for me was just after our last goal, moments before the siren. I stood up and yelled at their scumbag supporters " You might have won the game but you're all still a pack of arseholes!"
They just all looked at me as blank as a piece of A4...... nothing Smile

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
That's where we are at, we accept the Josh Smiths of this world, nice kid, has a dip, but guess what? Can't kick! Another one...the cycle continues. And why does everyone we bring in from another club fall into the land of the bland? Greenwood? 2nd in the Kangaroos B&F? Now a plodding tagger. Aish? Another plodder, can't hit a target. And what is the plan? "Draft picks - ? - 2018 Premiership!" - from where? We aren't within 5 years of GWS in development, St Kilda and Melbourne are coming...and we have no picks early next year. This is the group folks, we're stuck with...this.

The losses are just so inevitable, so predictable, you feel like doing something else with your time. There's no one to rally around, no one that stands out. Just a parade of plodders and good blokes.

I seriously don't know where this clubs next finals appearance is coming from, but it's not from this group and this strategy that's for sure.

Things can turn around quickly in terms of making finals but I don't particular buy into this illusion that we'll be contending for a flag in 2017-2018 all of a sudden. Sometimes we forget how hard they are to win and with GWS' era beginning and sides like the Bulldogs showing far more upside than we are currently it's hard to see how we'll compete with that right now.

The same noises were being made about 2016-2017 two or three years ago and here we are we haven't displayed substantial improvement despite incorporating a younger team with far more upside and potential.

Based on what I see right now we're a long way off winning a flag.

That's what the clubs mantra is, "2018 is our year", well, we keep pushing it back and pushing it back...there's no potential flag in this group. We can't kick. It's sometimes that simple. The talent isn't there after all this time, this whole rebuild, we still wheel out the Josh Smiths and the "great stories"...

Beating Carlton is a must, and enjoyable, but it doesn't solve anything. The club is stuck. I'd love to know how this coaching group, with this strategy and this list, is going to ever achieve anything. And I HOPE like hell in 2022 someone digs this post out and calls me an idiot, but today, I feel we are so far off elite, it's not even funny.

I think you're being too hard on Smith. In the pre-season he showed that he can be a beautiful user of the ball. Personally, I think he's been exposed to senior footy too soon (he's played about 4 inter-club games, including his two senior matches) and he's struggling to bridge the gap. Consequently, he's putting pressure on himself and playing without much poise.

That said, I certainly didn't think he'd be having 29 disposals in a game so early in his career - really, outside the usual midfield suspects and Tommy Langdon, we don't have players who get 25+ touches.

You might be right - I was probably over harsh on a kid in his 2nd game, just lumped him in a bit with a "type" of Collingwood player we seem to recruit over and over, the poor kicking not really in a position floating around player, a la Sinclair...

Our skills are deplorable, and they don't seem to get any better as time goes on and new people come in...

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
Jezza wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
That's where we are at, we accept the Josh Smiths of this world, nice kid, has a dip, but guess what? Can't kick! Another one...the cycle continues. And why does everyone we bring in from another club fall into the land of the bland? Greenwood? 2nd in the Kangaroos B&F? Now a plodding tagger. Aish? Another plodder, can't hit a target. And what is the plan? "Draft picks - ? - 2018 Premiership!" - from where? We aren't within 5 years of GWS in development, St Kilda and Melbourne are coming...and we have no picks early next year. This is the group folks, we're stuck with...this.

The losses are just so inevitable, so predictable, you feel like doing something else with your time. There's no one to rally around, no one that stands out. Just a parade of plodders and good blokes.

I seriously don't know where this clubs next finals appearance is coming from, but it's not from this group and this strategy that's for sure.

Things can turn around quickly in terms of making finals but I don't particular buy into this illusion that we'll be contending for a flag in 2017-2018 all of a sudden. Sometimes we forget how hard they are to win and with GWS' era beginning and sides like the Bulldogs showing far more upside than we are currently it's hard to see how we'll compete with that right now.

The same noises were being made about 2016-2017 two or three years ago and here we are we haven't displayed substantial improvement despite incorporating a younger team with far more upside and potential.

Based on what I see right now we're a long way off winning a flag.

That's what the clubs mantra is, "2018 is our year", well, we keep pushing it back and pushing it back...there's no potential flag in this group. We can't kick. It's sometimes that simple. The talent isn't there after all this time, this whole rebuild, we still wheel out the Josh Smiths and the "great stories"...

Beating Carlton is a must, and enjoyable, but it doesn't solve anything. The club is stuck. I'd love to know how this coaching group, with this strategy and this list, is going to ever achieve anything. And I HOPE like hell in 2022 someone digs this post out and calls me an idiot, but today, I feel we are so far off elite, it's not even funny.

I think you're being too hard on Smith. In the pre-season he showed that he can be a beautiful user of the ball. Personally, I think he's been exposed to senior footy too soon (he's played about 4 inter-club games, including his two senior matches) and he's struggling to bridge the gap. Consequently, he's putting pressure on himself and playing without much poise.

That said, I certainly didn't think he'd be having 29 disposals in a game so early in his career - really, outside the usual midfield suspects and Tommy Langdon, we don't have players who get 25+ touches.

They haven't rushed him. Remember, he was a mature age rookie, who is already 22yrs old. However, like all newcomers to senior footy, he'll take a bit of time to get used to the frenetic pace of AFL.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:53 pm

The time has come to call a spade a spade, results are what matter.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

I call a spade a shovel. Wink
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

I call a spade a shovel. Wink

Unfortunately they are two different things rude. Just try moving gravel with a shovel.....and then try a spade.... I learnt the hard way Wink

Anyway I digress ......

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:32 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
Oi, who's in charge of that weekly report voting poll?

I wanna cast my vote.

Was that your doing Caringbush?

Yes Mads what can i do ?
roar 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed with Greenwood?

I was disappointed when we got him.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:58 pm

I noticed several nice thing by Cox, but one that stood out for me was when an eagles player had grabbed the ball while on his hands and knees...rather than dive in and give away a free, he sort of just hovered over him, leaning on him with his knees, blocking the quick handball away, until the WCE player got to his feet and was promptly tackled by Pendles I think. Free kick to the Pies.

Its little stuff like that, smart stuff at times of high pressure, that excite me about the yank. I think he might be a thinker. Unusually for a ruckman, almost unheard of for a yank

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
I thought it was hilarious. Benny Hill stuff in stages. These days, I just sit back and grab a few beers and some chips, and just laugh at what we've become as a club since we won the Premiership. I don't think any club did what we have done in such a short period; dismantled a Premiership winning team and gone this far south that we've embarrassed ourselves and are the laughing stock of the AFL. Very sad. And funny. I can't take this seriously. It's a comic tragedy.

I think you'll find Essendon's record post 2000 looks a lot like ours post 2010. Port post 2004 somewhat similar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: