Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Social club?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
sitting at a pokie machine is very social, isn't it? i am glad we have no pokies and we don't need a beer barn. head to crown or one of the club's pubs if you want that.

Yeah ...you just don't get it do you JW.
Too much sipping the trendy local water.
Collingwood is the working class club!
And with working class you get warts and all.
But lets go down the the pure path of political correctness.
The Social Club and the Holden Centre will never be anything other than
an elite little centre that only a few Collingwood supporters will ever visit.
The motto should be " keep the riff raff out"!
But we will keep the history and wear it as a badge of honour.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Screw pokies. Plenty of places to go lose your money if that's what floats your boat, I'm happy if we don't have any.

It's better for the club to be making money out of the corporate dollar than from poor people glued at a pokie machine shuffling their coins into a slot on a machine and going home without money to pay for their families to have dinner on the table.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:40 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Screw pokies. Plenty of places to go lose your money if that's what floats your boat, I'm happy if we don't have any.

It's better for the club to be making money out of the corporate dollar than from poor people glued at a pokie machine shuffling their coins into a slot on a machine and going home without money to pay for their families to have dinner on the table.

I don't get what people see in them, but I agree.

I grew up in country NSW when there were no pokies in Vic so just about every day bus loads of Victorians would come up to the local golf club to play pokies.

I'll chuck some coins in now and again, last time I played pokies was in Vegas last year. $10 for a whisky and dry at the bar or free drinks while gambling, so I'd put $10 in a 1c machine, play that for an hour and get 3 free drinks while listening to the band playing in the bar 10 metres away.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I always love a moral person who wants to help the riff raff.
Keep giving your pearls of wisdom to the working class they will really take note.
The point is the whole centre is a white elephant when it comes to attracting collingwood supporters.
But the Corporates love it!

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:

But those people are still going to play pokies, they'll just do it somewhere else.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:45 pm

So there is nowhere at the club to have a beer after the game with fellow collingwood supporters?

I loved getting in at Vic Park up up the narrow stairwell and chatting with the players, even out in the beer garden at the Glasshouse was ok, particularly for the player interview. This was only 4 years ago.

Have all clubs stopped similar gatherings?
What about Geelong and the interstate clubs?
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 pm

thompsoc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Keep giving your pearls of wisdom to the working class they will really take note.
The point is the whole centre is a white elephant when it comes to attracting collingwood supporters.

Yeah thats the point of my original post. Because we decided to move from Vic Park early last decade, the social club aspect of our great club has been lost.

Most of the time, i gather the place is closed outside of game day, and normal business hours.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:01 pm

thompsoc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I'm sure you'd do anything for the workers

Except be one. Rolling Eyes

There's plenty of places for the "workers" to blow their coin. Crown is just down the road and actually has parking.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:08 pm
Post subject: WhatReply with quote

Total opposite to me. I love the facilities at Holden Centre and am proud to be a Collingwood member. I love the cafe at the Glasshouse as well. Meals are good value. I wish the coffee was a bit better though.

Are you speaking in any official capacity on behalf of the Club?

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:12 pm
Post subject: Re: WhatReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Total opposite to me. I love the facilities at Holden Centre and am proud to be a Collingwood member. I love the cafe at the Glasshouse as well. Meals are good value. I wish the coffee was a bit better though.

Are you speaking in any official capacity on behalf of the Club?

Oh Hiss have you woken out of your slumber?
Come on Hiss give us a real Corio Bay view on this!!!!

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:16 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yeah thats the point of my original post. Because we decided to move from Vic Park early last decade, the social club aspect of our great club has been lost.

Most of the time, i gather the place is closed outside of game day, and normal business hours.

There is nothing there for the average punter.
When we play interstate they want to slug you 55 dollars to watch the game on the big screen.
Don't you get it....no riff raff allowed.
In other words keep it boutique and if any plebs get in they need to say..Oh this is noice!!!!!

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 pm

John Wren wrote:
sitting at a pokie machine is very social, isn't it? i am glad we have no pokies and we don't need a beer barn. head to crown or one of the club's pubs if you want that.

I agree. Facilities that are based around Pokies have no soul. What is the joy in seeing people with gambling addictions waste they hard earned money by playing these heartless machines. How many families do without as a result.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
John Wren wrote:

I agree. Facilities that are based around Pokies have no soul. What is the joy in seeing people with gambling addictions waste they hard earned money by playing these heartless machines. How many families do without as a result.

Is there any soul at the Holden Centre?
If you want the plebs to turn up then get a soul.
But wait Ed and Co. have no idea of bringing a soul to life.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I'm sure you'd do anything for the workers

Except be one. Rolling Eyes

There's plenty of places for the "workers" to blow their coin. Crown is just down the road and actually has parking.

Can you ever post without getting abusive?
A moralizing personal abuser!

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm

jeebers - one person says the 'P' word and the moral police are outraged

i hate pokies more than anyone but u are distorting the issue

do we have a place to gather like we used to (and we were promised?) or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: