Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis Cloke's 5th year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate this talk of Cloke leaving Collingwood. He should be a Collingwood player for life. Let's not jettison him like we did Heath Shaw.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The very fact that we can debate Cloke's worth is evidence to me that he is not one of our greats. At his best, for at most 2 years, he was a very good player. For most of his career he has been a good player, but now he is not even in our best 22. For his age, he should be at the peak of his powers and dominating the competition.

No-one debates the greatness of Coventry, Todd, Wiedeman, McKenna, Carman or Daicos. That's why they are all greats of our club.

Not even in our best 22 Laughing

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:24 am

I don't want him traded but if he can't find form and fight his way back into the team by showing us what made him the best power forward in the game from 11-13 then what other choice do we have but to trade him - while he's still valuable.

He'd fit into any side in need of a tough forward. Someone like freo would jump at the chance again you'd reckon. In saying that, I'd prefer he stay with us and work his way back into the team.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:58 am
Post subject: Re: Travis Cloke's 5th yearReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-season-2016-pies-star-travis-cloke-set-for-50-per-cent-pay-cut-in-2017-20160427-goglwq.html

Interesting development...

Damir wont be happy. He reemed us on his last sons contract.

Not this time.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-season-2016-pies-star-travis-cloke-set-for-50-per-cent-pay-cut-in-2017-20160427-goglwq.html

Damir wont be happy. He reemed us on his last sons contract.

Not this time.

It's the 5th year of that contract so you'd assume he would have been expecting it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The very fact that we can debate Cloke's worth is evidence to me that he is not one of our greats. At his best, for at most 2 years, he was a very good player. For most of his career he has been a good player, but now he is not even in our best 22. For his age, he should be at the peak of his powers and dominating the competition.

No-one debates the greatness of Coventry, Todd, Wiedeman, McKenna, Carman or Daicos. That's why they are all greats of our club.

Not even in our best 22 Laughing

Last I checked he was playing in the VFL inky. Rolling Eyes
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Buckley is going to teach Trav a lesson. Fire up and give a shit or else you'll rot in the reserves.

Fair enough too.

derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
derkd wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
derkd wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

If the club could i think they would trade him at seasons end. Seeing as his current market value would be in the negative...i presume they figure they should at least be trying to free up some cash.

The negative talk around Trav has become ridiculous. He would still have plenty of value on the market. Freo would not hesitate to throw big money at him, except that they may be moving into rebuilding mode. Many other teams who'd be ecstatic to sign him if they had the opportunity, with the Power probably being at the top of the list, though I'd also include the Hawks, Suns, Dogs, any team that can fit another tall forward would love to have him.

And as 5150 says, with a front-loaded contract there's very little chance we trade him. Will be playing at a bargain price next year.

I have nothing against those who stand by Cloke. Indeed twelve months ago i might have still agreed with you. But I don't even think Freo would have any interest in him now. The massive problem he faces have been building year on year. Last year, yes, he was spraying shots at goal but he managed at least to provide a contest. He is not even managing that now. I would love him to prove me wrong. I went and looked up his stats over the last few years (all the stats listed are total for season).

2012: K 259 M 157 H 71 G 59 B 34

2013: K 258 M 190 H 65 G 68 B 51

2014: K 187 M 137 H 58 G 39 B 30

2015: K 167 M 112 H 48 G 34 B 23

2016: K M H G B - sample size too small

Got the stats from All the stats website.

He has been on big money, and at the end of the day his output has not lived up to his price. Like i say i really hope he proves me wrong this season. From what i have seen thus far I have concerns.

Yes, well 12 months ago, you'd have needed a serious brain-disfunction not to have agreed with those who then stood by Cloke.

It's just intellectually lazy to look at these statistics year on year, with complete disregard to his game by game performance.

If you had looked at any of my many posts since early last season about his performance, you would understand that what the stats actually show is that after 11 rounds in 2015, he was on career-record goal-scoring pace, going at about 3 goals per game. He then fell away because of injury (playing only 6 of the last 11 games) and, on a couple of occasions, some particularly inaccurate kicking (eg, in the Hawthorn game, where it's fair to say that had he kicked 3.2, instead of 1.4, he would have been worth the 3 Brownlow votes, given his massive stats in all other facets of the game that day).

Hate Travis all you like - but I am just sick and tired of people pretending that he "hasn't been any good" for some time. He has played about 6 or 7 ordinary games since the middle of the 2015 season and, amongst those, a couple (not a lot - just a couple) of poor ones.

Also, the suggestion that "his output has not lived up to his price" is outrageous and insulting. Have a look at the money some of the children playing in the forward-line at other clubs are on - for the most part, they've done nothing to justify being paid way more than Cloke and, statistically, we know they never will.

Whatever happens with Cloke going forward, he is - in every way - an all-time Collingwood great. In assessing what to do with him from here, there is simply no need to be disrespectful. He is one of the top 3 centre-half forwards that ever wore a Collingwood jumper (probably the best - he's certainly played way more games there for the Club than anyone else of any significance - but I'm leaving it open for you to think about who is on your short-list).

Great CHFs traditionally have not grown on trees. Typically, Collingwood hasn't had one. The chances are that - whatever your hopes, aspirations and wishes are for them are - none of the guys on the list will do half what Travis Cloke has done. So, to the extent that you are excited to embrace the prospect of trading or sacking Cloke, just be careful that you aren't bringing on a decade or more of a CHF position with a "Position Vacant" sign on it. Remember all those clever people back in the 1993/1994 off-season who said we didn't need Daicos because Brad Plain was better?

I would argue the most damming stat on trav is his complete inabilty to kick a goal from within 40 meters. "the greats" are not remembered for their abilty to kick out on the full or behinds from close distances.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As i have alwaya said i would love nothing more then Trav to prove me wrong.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:43 am

Robbo suggesting we should take pick 20 if it offered.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:25 am

Presti35 wrote:

Sounds about right to me, just to clarify though, do we have to give pick 20 to rid ourselves of this halfwit or do our victims have to pay?

Remember 6 weeks ago when he wanted to extend his current contract? Yeah, sounds like a man not enjoying his footy eh? %$^%$£$% can **** off as far as I'm concerned, he's a $£$%^%%$ parasite on our club, sooner he's gone the better, his team mates don't think much of him and I know that as a fact.

I've been calling for his head for over a year now, as usual I was laughed at and insulted, insult me now guys.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
themonk 

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:09 am

Presti35 wrote:

Why is anyone still listenig to Robbo?

I can't see anyone offering too much for him, however he still could be usefull in a trade, maybe get McKenzie to the club? we could do with some run & carry out of defence.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 am

He's a proven premiership player and a 10 times better player than Waite who's killing it at North at the moment. Centre Half Forwards are playing the hardest position on the ground and most have their ups and downs and don't come into their own until their late 20's or early thirties. Look at Pettrie at North who only matured into his thirties. Cameron is tracking the best of all the current young CHF's and he goes through his ups and downs. CHF's are at their bests when they have foils to help them out in the forward line. Cloke has had the carry the forward line on his own for much of the last 5 years. The only constant to help him out has been Elliot, who's missing this year. The fact that an idiot in Robbo suggests trading him should lead us to the opposite conclusion. Must keep at all cost. If Cloke takes a salary cut next year that helps us as well. More room in our salary cap to recruit someone under free agency.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:14 am

Bob Sugar wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Sounds about right to me, just to clarify though, do we have to give pick 20 to rid ourselves of this halfwit or do our victims have to pay?

Remember 6 weeks ago when he wanted to extend his current contract? Yeah, sounds like a man not enjoying his footy eh? %$^%$£$% can **** off as far as I'm concerned, he's a $£$%^%%$ parasite on our club, sooner he's gone the better, his team mates don't think much of him and I know that as a fact.

I've been calling for his head for over a year now, as usual I was laughed at and insulted, insult me now guys.

Don't hold back Bobby old son!

Just a little question ......can you enlighten us on what you've heard from players in the club re not thinking much of him?

I ask out of genuine interest.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Buckley is going to teach Trav a lesson. Fire up and give a shit or else you'll rot in the reserves.

Fair enough too.

I agree. I heard he played ok yesterday. But he needs to do that a few more times before they bring him back. Once is not enough.
On the March 

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:23 am

When we get beat today and Cox struggles under increased pressure Cloke will be asked to play next week. Fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: