Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis Cloke's 5th year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
There's no way Cloke should be regarded as one of our great forwards. That tag belongs to Coventry, Todd, Weideman, McKenna and Carman. These guys genuinely won games off their own boot and delivered under pressure. Cloke has been a serviceable player but his shocking goal kicking has broken the hearts of too many fans and lost us too many important games - including the first 2010 Grand Final - for him ever to be regarded as great. Now he is in serious decline and we should sell him at the first opportunity. He had enormous talent, but never quite delivered as he should have. I blame Demir.

Is Ant considered a great?

Yes, of course he is. Anthony played nearly as many games and kicked nearly as many goals as Cloke has done. Wink

RudeBoy wrote:
There's no way Cloke should be regarded as one of our great forwards. That tag belongs to Coventry, Todd, Weideman, McKenna and Carman. These guys genuinely won games off their own boot and delivered under pressure. Cloke has been a serviceable player but his shocking goal kicking has broken the hearts of too many fans and lost us too many important games - including the first 2010 Grand Final - for him ever to be regarded as great. Now he is in serious decline and we should sell him at the first opportunity. He had enormous talent, but never quite delivered as he should have. I blame Demir.

I said CHFs. Your list includes 1 who played more than 50 games there.

Go back and try to respond to this from my previous post with an open mind:

"He is one of the top 3 centre-half forwards that ever wore a Collingwood jumper (probably the best - he's certainly played way more games there for the Club than anyone else of any significance - but I'm leaving it open for you to think about who is on your short-list)."

I take it that you have the Weed ahead of him. That's fine - you're welcome to your own hagiography, even if means preferring a bloke who averaged almost 1.5 goals per game to one who averages almost 2. But, really, as to the others - Carman is my favourite player of all-time and I couldn't find it in my heart to rate him ahead of Cloke on about 40 games at CHF (of 66 played for us); McKenna and Coventry were FFs (although I can recall watching McKenna playing at CHF a couple of times and it's fair to say that if you were picking a CHF, Travis would easily get the nod); and off-hand, I didn't see enough of Todd to remember where he played all of his footy but I thought his two or three good years at Collingwood were as FF.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Yes, of course he is. Anthony played nearly as many games and kicked nearly as many goals as Cloke has done. Wink .

Ant has a few more games but on career average, Trav wins slightly. Wink
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=177&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

Trav also compares surprisingly well against Wayne Carey.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=13&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=6&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:04 pm

First thing I thought was cap relief.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:09 pm

He's always been a flakey bastard, IMO if there's a willing taker we deal, I think the best we could hope for is to swap Cloke and our second rounder for a first rounder.

IMO he needs a fresh start, if he finds form at a different club it doesn't mean he was going to find it with us.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
He's always been a flakey bastard, IMO if there's a willing taker we deal, I think the best we could hope for is to swap Cloke and our second rounder for a first rounder.

IMO he needs a fresh start, if he finds form at a different club it doesn't mean he was going to find it with us.

Just like his Dad
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:16 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

Just like his Dad

I don't think Damir had form slumps like Travis, he was a pretty consistent player throughout his career iirc, very underrated player IMO.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Just like his son.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Just like his son.

Touche!
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Yes, of course he is. Anthony played nearly as many games and kicked nearly as many goals as Cloke has done. Wink .

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=177&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=13&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=6&pid2=1521&fid1=C&fid2=C

If there is a bigger indictment against the use of football stats than this one, I have yet to hear or see it.

The most ridiculous statement I have ever read on Nicks, and that is saying something

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Trav lost as many games as he won.

Also, I've compared him to our great key forwards, whether they were full forwards of centee half forwards, since the modern game has obliterated the distinction. Travis has played as many games from the goal square as he has beyond the 50 metre arc.

At the end of the day, we're all entitled to rate the players according to how we've perceived them. As for me, I have always viewed Cloke as being a very shaky conveyance who has never inspired confidence. Other players like the Weed, Carman, McKenna, even Daics in a forward pocket, lifted the performance of the whole team and were inspirational. Poor old Clokey always promised to deliver much more than he ever did. His errant kicking for goal regularly deflated the team. Considering the phenomenal amount of ball delivery directed his way, it is incredible that he only ever kicked 7 goals once in his entire career. Don't get me wrong, he was a good player, but personally I'll never consider him one of our greats. Others, obviously consider him differently, which is their prerogative.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:21 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

If there is a bigger indictment against the use of football stats than this one, I have yet to hear or see it.

The most ridiculous statement I have ever read on Nicks, and that is saying something

I think the comparison with Anthony Rocca is a fair one. At their best (in their prime), they were both an irresistible force. Both left us wanting more from them. No doubt both of them are in the discussion of best CHF for Collingwood (certainly in my lifetime).

Neither are in the discussion with Wayne Carey, but being compared unfavorably to arguably the GOAT is still impressive.

Interestingly, the stats highlight one of the main reasons Cloke isn't in the Carey discussion (even though in his prime, Cloke was a beast). The fact is that Carey averaged nearly a goal a game more than Cloke. If Cloke had a career average of @.8 instead of 1.8 I think he would be remembered a lot more favorably than he is. As others have noted, this statistical gap might almost be entirely explained by his poor kicking (as he seemed to have almost the same amount of footy as the Duck).

Anyway, he is being unfairly judged on this forum by his recent record (is it a slump or is it simply decline). Cloke should be remembered for the period 2007-2014 when he was very consistent and certainly A-Grade!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 am

The very fact that we can debate Cloke's worth is evidence to me that he is not one of our greats. At his best, for at most 2 years, he was a very good player. For most of his career he has been a good player, but now he is not even in our best 22. For his age, he should be at the peak of his powers and dominating the competition.

No-one debates the greatness of Coventry, Todd, Wiedeman, McKenna, Carman or Daicos. That's why they are all greats of our club.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32 am

He's hardly missed a game in ten years. In fact at 29 years of age and 237 games played, he was on track to become our 3rd 300 game player. Or at least 3rd or 4th games played.

As we know, he's an All-Australian and a Premiership Player. Sadly, he has never won a Coleman Medal.

I keep thinking to myself that maybe he could do a Richo and almost win a Brownlow, but its hard to see that right now.

With the drop in payment, I think it'd be silly to move him. But if someone offered something too good to refuse, you'd take it. Honestly though, we should be talking about dumping Jesse White before anything else.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:37 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The very fact that we can debate Cloke's worth is evidence to me that he is not one of our greats. At his best, for at most 2 years, he was a very good player. For most of his career he has been a good player, but now he is not even in our best 22. For his age, he should be at the peak of his powers and dominating the competition.

No-one debates the greatness of Coventry, Todd, Wiedeman, McKenna, Carman or Daicos. That's why they are all greats of our club.

That is rubbish. in the twilight of each of their careers, i am certain that their worth was debated. No-one debated Cloke's worth during his first 220 games. the debate then was whether he was the best power forward in the league.

After he retires, we will all put the rose colored glasses back on and remember his great days and put him right alongside those others you mention.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am

Still hoping he can do a Richo and turn himself into something else for the last couple of years of his career. I think his days at CHF are done, and stay at home FF who wrestles instead of leading doesn't work as well now.

Big guys seem to fall over really fast when the end comes and there's nowhere to hide as a KPP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: