Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victorian State Politics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're switching sides on Andrews simultaneously (I'm usually a fan). Really disappointed to see him go down the easy, populist 'tough-on-crime' route over the past couple of weeks, for the reasons expressed in this article.

https://libertyvictoria.org.au/content/knee-jerk-reforms-risk-further-entrenching-offending-behavior-children

Quote:
Public safety and the State budget will suffer as a result of harsh new measures by the Andrews Government, Liberty Victoria warned today.

The human rights group’s president, Jessie Taylor, said “The use of the word ‘reforms’ in the announcement implies improvements. But longer jail terms for children is a step backwards, ultimately costing more in public safety, policing and the courts as these children and young people become hardened and schooled in crime. The cost of ‘law and order’ then shoots up.

"Not only do we face significant fiscal impacts, but also this raft of punitive reforms will be ineffective in addressing the behaviour of what is actually a small number of children with complex needs.

"News reports say that there is a core of just 180 young offenders that the government seeks to target through these measures. This small group would be better served through support and wrap around services rather than responses that will only entrench their offending behaviour.”

She said it should be kept in mind that these children are from incredibly tough backgrounds – often out-of-home care, extreme disadvantage and social exclusion. “If we are going to stand a chance at stopping their graduation into the adult justice system, we have to rise above the knee-jerk rhetoric and put in place proper supports.

"Simply adding another year to the sentence of these children, as is proposed, will do nothing to respond to the drivers of the offending behavior of these children and young people. Instead, we need to look at what is best practice for curbing young offenders’ behaviour, which is to provide intensive, therapeutic supports that respond to social disengagement and the drivers of their offending.”

She said people’s worry about their safety was understandable.

“But ‘cracking down’ with punitive measures that will only entrench offending behaviour is the wrong way to go about community safety."

Ms Taylor said Liberty Victoria will be closely monitoring the impact of these reforms, and ensuring close scrutiny of further detail as to how they will work in practice.

But I am also pleased to see voluntary euthanasia laws being considered.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

The Greens win the seat of Northcote in today's by-election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-18/greens-win-northcote-by-election/9164644

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 pm

and after Labor spent $500k buying preferences
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

David wrote:
Looks like we're switching sides on Andrews simultaneously (I'm usually a fan). Really disappointed to see him go down the easy, populist 'tough-on-crime' route over the past couple of weeks, for the reasons expressed in this article.

https://libertyvictoria.org.au/content/knee-jerk-reforms-risk-further-entrenching-offending-behavior-children

Quote:
Public safety and the State budget will suffer as a result of harsh new measures by the Andrews Government, Liberty Victoria warned today.

The human rights group’s president, Jessie Taylor, said “The use of the word ‘reforms’ in the announcement implies improvements. But longer jail terms for children is a step backwards, ultimately costing more in public safety, policing and the courts as these children and young people become hardened and schooled in crime. The cost of ‘law and order’ then shoots up.

"Not only do we face significant fiscal impacts, but also this raft of punitive reforms will be ineffective in addressing the behaviour of what is actually a small number of children with complex needs.

"News reports say that there is a core of just 180 young offenders that the government seeks to target through these measures. This small group would be better served through support and wrap around services rather than responses that will only entrench their offending behaviour.”

She said it should be kept in mind that these children are from incredibly tough backgrounds – often out-of-home care, extreme disadvantage and social exclusion. “If we are going to stand a chance at stopping their graduation into the adult justice system, we have to rise above the knee-jerk rhetoric and put in place proper supports.

"Simply adding another year to the sentence of these children, as is proposed, will do nothing to respond to the drivers of the offending behavior of these children and young people. Instead, we need to look at what is best practice for curbing young offenders’ behaviour, which is to provide intensive, therapeutic supports that respond to social disengagement and the drivers of their offending.”

She said people’s worry about their safety was understandable.

“But ‘cracking down’ with punitive measures that will only entrench offending behaviour is the wrong way to go about community safety."

Ms Taylor said Liberty Victoria will be closely monitoring the impact of these reforms, and ensuring close scrutiny of further detail as to how they will work in practice.

But I am also pleased to see voluntary euthanasia laws being considered.

A moment’s textual analysis :

These “children” (actually late teenagers, who are not children as we usually think of the term) have no responsibility for their behaviour, only “needs” which are “complex” and need lots more money spent on social services. there is no room for the concept of the free, choice-making individual in Liberty Victoria’s understanding of the world - which is odd, when you think about it, since liberty is premised on this idea.

I do not doubt that many, if not all, of young offenders come from tough backgrounds, but so do many others (TP has often written quite movingly of her own father in that regard) who do not commit violence against society. First things first ; if you choose to break major laws, you should expect serious punishment which make you think twice about doing it. When you have Paid that penalty, then we will do a great deal to turn you into a self-respecting person who does not violate the liberty of your fellow citizens. Violent crime exploded about the time we started to love our criminals, and it has now leveled off at a level that a high quality society would regard as insane. Until we start treating people as sovereign over their own will, I don’t see this changing.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:32 am

stui magpie wrote:
and after Labor spent $500k buying preferences
And the LNP declaring they will now not contest inner city seats, "we will let the ALP and Greens duke it out". I did chuckle when the part of the Greens Northcote push is about National Parks of which they have none. It will be interesting what will happen when they new MP has to swear allegiance to the Crown as she has stated she will refuse too.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Inner city Melbourne is certifiably insane
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Oi, I resemble that remark. Wink
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 am

I guess there will be No Australia Day for the Seat of Northcote going forward.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am

Wokko wrote:
Inner city Melbourne is certifiably insane

Much rather living with Greenies than people who would vote One nation and the like!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

Both Leaders are Weak a Piss
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Culprit wrote:

I think those are council rather than state decisions, aren’t they?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

David wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I think those are council rather than state decisions, aren’t they?
We could have a change of heart by the Vic State ALP if they want the Green Vote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: