Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victorian State Politics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:57 pm
Post subject: Victorian State PoliticsReply with quote

Thought I'd start a thread for state politics, given the Dandrews government seems to have found a money tree before they released the state budget.

Some info on the budget:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victorian-budget-2016-state-to-fund-109-melbourne-metro-rail-project-20160425-goec85.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/a-fiveminute-guide-to-victorias-state-budget/news-story/1ac79c10bd0ba899712621730fa6b01e

I just can't get a handle on this bloke. I like some things he does and dislike others. Leaving aside the political posturing which is standard when state and feds are different colours, there's a lot of good stuff in this budget at first glance. The devil will obviously be in the detail, one of which how much control the CFMEU will get in all the infrastructure projects. Too much I'm guessing (I don't know how the head of the ANMF can have her arm so far up his arse with John Setka's hairy paw in there, not to mention the head of the fire fighters union) but time will tell.

Spending some of the extra money they got from the GST for what it's supposed to be for, health and education, is a tick.

Extending the Epping trainline from Sth Morang to Mernda is a partial tick. They should be thinking ahead and taking it to Whittlesea or at least planning for it now because by the time it's built to Mernda the area will be choked.

More road infrastructure is needed in the north, the link between the ring road at Greensborough and the Eastern just has to happen. Hopefully that will get some federal funding.

Going into a bit of extra debt while interest rates are rock bottom and cash flow is positive, educated gamble but an in principle tick.

Jury is out for me. As I said above I just can't get a handle on Dandrews. He could be an all time great premier or a flaming dud. Time will tell I guess.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the previous mob he is spending money early and not waiting till an election. Infrastructure creates jobs so I am all for it. Mind you a road joining the Eastern Freeway to the ring road should be done as well.

Also th ALP will go with the Federal Government gives Victorians nothing, we have to do it ourselves.

Remov rail crossings is great and for the people complaining. Sell the Gov your houses as they will make an absolute killing.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Yeah, not sold on this guy. Bringing the UFC here gave a lot of good will from me and we haven't had a serious builder in Spring St since Kennett so if Andrews wants to get some infrastructure going I reckon he's got about 10-15 years of shirked work he can catch up on even if it costs a bit.

Hopefully he's a happy medium, somewhere between Cain/Kirner and Bracks/Brumby. I'd rather another Kennett but the Libs in this state are a joke.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:25 pm

The Greens will be all over Mernda looking for a frog or butterfly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 pm

ronrat wrote:
The Greens will be all over Mernda looking for a frog or butterfly.

Good luck. Shit soil, basically average grazing land when it was farm land. Any endangered species have already been driven out by all the houses being built.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:26 pm

This is the kind of shit that makes me really worry about Dandrews.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/secret-draft-agreement-exposes-full-extent-of-premier-andrews-proposed-surrender-of-cfa-to-united-firefighters-union/news-story/2d718e2971096fb81351d6d0401aa730

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 am

stui magpie wrote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/secret-draft-agreement-exposes-full-extent-of-premier-andrews-proposed-surrender-of-cfa-to-united-firefighters-union/news-story/2d718e2971096fb81351d6d0401aa730
This has been going on since I was in the CFA 30 years ago. A lot of politics going on but to give you the basic gist, the Volunteers do not like working with blokes who are being paid to do the same job. The Volunteers do not like being told what to do by blokes that are being paid. People high up in command in the CFA hate the MFB and the Union. The sky will fall in if the Union takes over. Now sone of what I have heard is the CFA Volunteers are then covered under all aspects of the Union regarding OHS and training without paying Union fees. Never let the truth get in the way of a good fear campaign. Still waiting for the full agreement on this as it's still in negotiations.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 am

I have little to complain about re: Andrews. I like his focus on public transport, and in terms of social issues he seems to hit the right notes in a way few Labor people seem capable of. I never used to care much about state politics, but as long as this government keeps doing what it's doing I'll be happy to see them stay in power.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:54 am

Andrews, the unlikely leader has produced. He made commitments before the election & is continuing to deliver on those promises. Hard to criticise him for that. Infrastructure at last.

Level crossings gone & going (yipee).

His is an action government.

Stui, unions goodness me Razz Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Goodness, wpt - do you have to sound quite so much like you're door-knocking for him?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Goodness, wpt - do you have to sound quite so much like you're door-knocking for him?

What promises hasn't he kept so far P4S?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

This has been going on since I was in the CFA 30 years ago. A lot of politics going on but to give you the basic gist, the Volunteers do not like working with blokes who are being paid to do the same job. The Volunteers do not like being told what to do by blokes that are being paid. People high up in command in the CFA hate the MFB and the Union. The sky will fall in if the Union takes over. Now sone of what I have heard is the CFA Volunteers are then covered under all aspects of the Union regarding OHS and training without paying Union fees. Never let the truth get in the way of a good fear campaign. Still waiting for the full agreement on this as it's still in negotiations.

Yeah, there's always two sides to a story. Unions don't like volunteers as they won't become financial union members so they'd much prefer to have all paid employees and stuff the economics, that's not their problem.

Similar to why the owner drivers are up in arms about some transport legislation that would basically obliterate owner drivers and force all the truckies into the large companies where the union can then negotiate EBA's and bend arms to become members. IR 101.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm all for the rule to be removed on truckers. It won't make any difference as the labour market for truck drivers is screwed. Trucks are the new taxis. 457 Visas are what's Kiilling them.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:53 pm

A cousin is a truckie. I reckon he's drive the semi through a brick wall for the opportunity to run over some TWU officials. Razz Wink
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 pm

All that Matthew Guy does is Bitch about the Labor Party and comes up with Nothing New
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: